Register now to get rid of these ads!

hard startin olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stainsbo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. stainsbo

stainsbo
    from The Cleave

Hey Everbody, Just got off the boat Sat. and been messing with my new toy, the 50 Olds mo door. Quick question, after being converted to 12 volts with all that entails, should the 324 (55 or 56 #8 on head) be slow to turn over? All most sounds like dead battery or, at least a very weak battery. I cleaned terminals put her on a slow trickle charge but, she just seems slow 'bout turning over. She will crank... almost every time. Have not put volt meter on yet. Trying to catch up on household maintenance after being gone for 30. Thanks ahead, Beau.

2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

You said it was slow to turn over...did it ever actually start ?

3. stainsbo

stainsbo
    from The Cleave

Hey Jonnie, Ya, it pretty much starts every time maybe one time in 10 would I have to put it back on charger from wearin down the battery. I will pull out my volt meter tom. and give it a good going over. I was just wondering if this was the way these engines started ie. like a Dodge 318 you can hear one of those cranking half mile away! I plan to pull the valve covers tom to check the oiling situation. I know that wasn't what I posted for But, It was supposed to be a issue when I bought the car. It Just runs so danm sweet I can't imagine a valve problem. Anyhow, Thanks, Beau.

4. George/Maine

George/Maine

It could be the front bushing in starter.

5. It never hurts to have a suspect starter at least checked out and rebuilt if needed. Of course all the cables, grounds, etc should be looked at as well.

Bob

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget that the other end of the battery cable can cause this problem too. All electrical connections in the starter system need to be wire brushed to shiny metal for a good connection and not just the battery terminals.

I wire brushed every connection after I noticed a spark at the cable connection on the solenoid. It would start but after cleaning the connections it started much easier.

7. Ole don

Ole don

The ground at the block should have a star washer between the cable and the block. There should be a good ground from the block to the body of the car. Years ago, we could buy a rebuild kit for those solenoids that included new contacts inside. All these areas are things to look at.

8. F&J

F&J

I have 3 Olds starters here for my 2 cars, and 2 of them have shorted field coils. One is actually burned insulation on one of the coil windings. One also had brushes worn so bad that the steel brush holder was chewing into the armature.

I think what happens is that when the motors got old and out of tune, they were just cranked too much which overheated them.

9. A lot of times a slow turning starter is an indication of a bad ground. If you clean both ends of the cable and you have checked to make sure that the bushings are good in the starter it could just be that the cable itself is old and corroded. If you have insulated cable peel some of the insulation back and get a look at the cable, if it is corroded replace it.

Another thing that we fail to think about is the cranking amps. Sometimes a battery will have a weak cell and not put out the amerage that it takes to spin one. It may very well show 12 volts but it it doesn't make the amperage it will not spin the starter. I have been known to use a volt meter and check between the cells. Take the caps off, dip the leads in two cells then work your way across taking note of your readings. If you have a weak or dead cell it will be obvious. There is actually a tool that is used to check a battery but this test will do in a pinch.

10. Notorious problem for early Olds. Go get a mini starter from Tony (Goatroper) on here.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

as Benno stated, check the cables. Hidden corrosion is the enemy of many starters and batteries

12. stainsbo

stainsbo
    from The Cleave

Hey Thanks everybody for you're comments, Went to the Big city to go shoppin with Sweetthang today & just got back. Had to hitch Both mules to go into Ocean Springs! No, really, Thanks & will update asap on startin thing. I feel pretty sure it is a lack of voltage (amps) either from corrosion or bad wire. Wayne said he had the starter rebuilt for the guy who was supposed to have rebuilt the engine. Oh well, We'll see more tom. Beau.

13. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Hmmm. My suggestion would be, to go back to Wayne, and find out if he overhauled the starter, or had it done by a pro shop that knew what he was doing.

My money is on the starter itself. Those old starters need to have the armature turned when they are "Overhauled".

The original armatures had ???? that would get into the grooves of the original. They came from the factory that way. Over time, they would build up in the grooves of the armature and cause the exact starting problems you describe. Since you've checked all your connections for being bright and clean.

Why do I suggest this? I had exactly the same starting issues on my Olds. Took it to a top notch gen and starter (Old school guy) that knew the idiocrencracies (SP) of these old starters. I got mine rebuilt with new end bushings, new brushes. the armature turned. While I was at it I changed the starter selonoid (SP) with a NOS I had found and it starts like...I'd say better than new, but I was never able to buy a new Olds.:D:D

Just replacing the brushes is NOT an overhaul.

To really know what you've got with that starter, locate a really good old timer that overhauls starters and generators. Have him put that armature on a Growler, then you'll know exactly what you have.

Want some fun? Ask the shop if you can watch him with the growler and time permitting if he'll let you watch him do a true overhaul of it. You'll have fun, and really learn something. Then you'll be able to give some insight to others of what you've learned.

HellRaiser

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Beau...

Hope you've had some success by now. Lots of GREAT info from all of the above !
    '50 Olds are CoolMobiles and I'd love to see you able to have yours runnin' like it should.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

15. Yep, this is exactly right and what I was referring to when I said it was a notorious problem for early Olds starters. I used to rebuild armatures after high school for a year before I went to college. But we worked on diesel stuff. Sent out all the car related stuff.

16. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

please, post up results had a 49 in my coupe (see profile) after runnind it was a bear to start had to let it cool off. probably needed a heat shield but now a boat anchor or such.

17. stainsbo

stainsbo
    from The Cleave

Hey Everybody! Sorry for delay, had a run in with my Farmall Cub and a half bottle Wild Turkey. Got healed up and had to catch the boat. Ah Well, Such is life. Anyhow chased all wires on starter, (which are in real bad shape), Repaired all grounds (which were all most nonexistent), tested battery as suggested, (fair) checked timing as suggested,(on marks) Checked and replaced all vacuum hoses,(what a mess). Came to conclusion that bushing in nose of starter was bad. Pulled starter and took to shop. Should be ready when I get off in Jan. I ordered myself a Shop Manual to go through the wiring as most of it is replaced with green wire(?) No color code. Anybody out there make a wiring harness for a 50 "88"? So thanks for all of the suggestions and will update soon. Thanks, Beau.