Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 cad block with 365 heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dugydog, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dugydog

dugydog

I have a 390 block in my 57 Cadillac. I put 365 heads on it as I was told that they were the same. When I spun the oil pump to prime the motor and make sure I have oil pressure I got oil coming out between the head and the block on the front top drivers side and also the same place on the passenger side except at the rear of the motor. Anyone experience this??

2. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Were the 365 heads machined and made truly flat?

3. r8odecay

r8odecay

Those 2 spots are where the vertical headers oil to the rocker shafts... so were the rocker shafts clean and 'clocked' in each head? clocked meaning the pip marks on the end of each shaft should point to the engine center....

4. dugydog

dugydog

I am gonna pull the heads tonight and check the rocker arm shafts. The oil is not just leaking but flowing really well. The head actually overlaps the block by about a quarter of an inch at both of these spots. I have a set of 390 heads that have to be redone and they don't appear to be the same width at the spot in question. I called the gasket people and they told me the head gasket for the 365 vs 390 is the same

5. dugydog

dugydog

I'll try to post pics.

6. dugydog

dugydog

Ok, Trying to attach picture. I used a small screwdriver to point to the leak spot.

7. dugydog

dugydog

motor leak spot.jpg

Sorry this should be the photo

8. dugydog

dugydog

I'm a dumb ass. I took the heads off this morning and realized I had the left head gasket on the right hand side and vise versa. Everything lined up except for an oil passage which was paritally blocked by the gasket with the open portion going right out between the block and the head, where of course I saw all the oil. If there is a special place on this forum that stupid people go to post let me know.

9. Zerk

Zerk

"Introductions". EVERYBODY has done something dumb and most have been kind enough to share here. Some are greedy, myself included:rolleyes:

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad it was an easy fix.

As far as a place for stupid people to post, there's no room for that on the HAMB. However, if you're looking for a place where normal people make an occasional stupid mistake, I think you're right at home here. Except maybe we're not what most would consider "normal"......

11. Well, I for one have never done anything stupid.... :) Er ahh, well almost nothing anyway