Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Old Signs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

The 6th Avenue Motel - Portland, Oregon.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Out side an abandoned Chinese resturant on Rte. 20 in Shrewsbury, MA

3. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Whats left of the Edgemere Drive In...Rte 20 Shrewsbury, MA

4. Harrison Idaho

[​IMG]

5. San Dimas California

[​IMG]

6. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I know that place...my folks used to take us there when I was about 8 or 9 yrs. old. It was the "TANNELLA" restaurant and I remember the tiki torches burning at night !!!

7. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

All i can say is AWESOME !!!

8. Hot rod historians will recognize this name....

[​IMG]

9. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

My dad shot this on a trip to Colorado in 1956:
    [​IMG]
    :eek::eek::eek:
    He and my mother passed on visiting the place, thank God.

10. Church Key

Church Key

Bad Penny, It sure looked like a cool place at one time...I drive by it several times a week while at work. I had to get a picture before it was too late, the building is in bad shape.

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I'm glad you got those pics Jack. There are som many things that have disapeared that I should have taken pictures of. I'm really surprised nobody has knocked down the Tannela restaurant, it's probably been closed twenty years. Same for the Edgemere Drive-In, I used to got to that one.

12. edweird

edweird

whats left of the walterboro drive-in theatre.

Attached Files:

13. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Those sputniks are cool but I doubt you'll be able to trade one for a rotosphere. Rotospheres sell in the $15-$18K range if you can find one!
    How about posting some pics of the sputniks lit up?

14. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

The sign above the Paris Theatre in Portland, OR is getting mighty rough looking.

Opened in 1890...

[​IMG]

15. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I spotted a restored sputnik about 10 days ago at Oxford Antiques in Billings, MT. I didn't get a price, but based on other signs in the store, it won't be cheap ... beautiful condition, though.

16. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Missouri Rotosphere.

[​IMG]

17. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

This one is in Chciago, did some lettering at this Foremost but couldent hang around till they turned it on at night. It's huge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Defunct bowling alley somewhere in Nebraska.

[​IMG]

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

[​IMG]
    Tex Randall, Big Texan

[​IMG]
    Canyon, Texas
    Tex Randall is touted as the "Biggest Texan" -- although you'd hear a strong argument from the Texas State Fairgrounds their Big Texan tops the charts. But this Tex is mighty big.
    He's been here in Canyon since 1959. Industrial arts teacher Harry Wheeler built "Texas' Biggest Texan" to promote his Western curio shop. Tex Randall is 47 feet tall and weighs seven tons.
    Tex is constructed of concrete, with an internal structure of pipe, rebar, and wire mesh. He originally wore real denim jeans and a red checkered shirt, courtesy of a local tent and awning store. He casually held a giant cigarette in one hand. His sturdy design has helped him survive 100mph winds, along with a network of steel struts and cable anchoring him to the ground.
    [​IMG]
    A long period of deterioration was worsened when a semi crashed into his left boot, and the cigarette was shot out of his hand. Local businesses rallied during a "Save the Cowboy" campaign and contributed to a restoration in 1987. The work was completed in 1989.
    A spur replaced the cigarette, in deference to today's health-conscious tourists.
    From the appearance of Tex up close, another makeover is about due. He's a little chipped and sun-worn. Large open wounds on his legs may be the result of desperate souvenir seekers.
    June 2010: Still standing but showing his age. A group is trying to raise funds for his preservation. July 2008: Tex is threatened with destruction. The 47-foot tall cowboy may be shoved aside to make way for a new business. A diner owner in Canyon bought Tex for his own business, then found out moving and installation costs would top $50,000, which he can't afford.

Attached Files:

20. GaryM

GaryM

Lincoln , Nebraska

Gary

Attached Files:

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ryan,
    Great thread! Just today I attended a meeting @ the Wally Parks-NHRA Museum in Pomona talking about this very subject. In attendance was The Museum of Neon Art Executive Director-Kim and Neon Restoration Exhibits Coordinator-Dave, Board Member-Adriene, Automotive Neon Art Advisor-Myself and Executive Director of the the NHRA Museum-Tony and their PR coordinator Monique.

Seems that MONA had an exhibit next door when the L.A. County Fair was in town. Well the NHRA-Tony liked what was shown and we're looking to put together a Auto Related Neon Exhibit thru MONA.

This could take place as early as late Feb 2012. The signage could include signs that one would see cruising down Rte 66,which is just to the north of Pomona in La Verne. This would include the Vintage Winchell's Donut Sign that was once located on 66 in nearby Upland. Automotive Dealer Ships, Drive-In Restaurant and Movie or even Hotel/Motel signs,.

We may need volunteers in order to donate time, talent and money so that this could happen. The time would be needed to assist in the setup and hanging/mounting of signs that can be very heavy, The talent would be needed in order to weld up mounting stands of a substancial weight and size.

The money (Which I believe is tax deductable) is needed in order to buy materials to build the stands for signs that couldn't be exhibited inside the museum due to size, but between the NHRA and the Fine Arts Building. This could be a very cool exhibit with your help.

Lastly, If anyone has some cool neon that they'd like to loan to the NHRA-MONA, PM Adriene or I and lets see what we can make happen.
    I know that I've called on the HAMB before many times for the Broiler which itself has incredible neon and you guys have come thru and support its existence to that I say Thank You,it is very appreciated.
    See what we can do for this one.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  22. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Simple, painted wall sign in Nebraska.

[​IMG]

23. Here's a couple more from Butte, MT....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. guffey

guffey

here is another photo

mini 23.jpg

25. BRENT

BRENT

The Yorktown Plazza sign. Just restored this fall, looks even better than this older picture from a couple of years back.

[​IMG]

26. Johnny99

Johnny99

The Ice Cream makes me smile when I'm in the house. The Dr. Ali sign makes me smile in the shop!!:)

John

Attached Files:

27. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

I came across this sunday in OLD APPLETON MISSOURI.

jan feb 2012 pics misc. 050.jpg