Register now to get rid of these ads!

Avalible Transmission for a Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Rush, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I might have a line on a good running Y-block For my 57 F-100 but my plan all along was to go with a 300-6 and a zf 5 speed. I want to stay with a manual trans and would like an overdrive but want to be able to pull with it to so a t-5 is out of the question. Is there a way to mate up a late model 5 speed pickup trans to a Y-block? All my searching has come up with no but i thought i would give it a shot

2. paul hoffman

paul hoffman
    from australia

should be able to do conversion using original y block manual bell housing, happy to advise

3. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

It would be a lot easier and way cheaper to go find an 89 Ford F150 with the ZF 5speed and I-6 300 (4.9l) pull all of the fuel injection crap off and put a carburetor on it. That will get you 210 hp and good fuel economy. As a bonus the ZF shares the same bell housing as a 302 and 351w. So should you want a V-8 it will bolt right up. I have a 292 Y with a truck bell housing and I am pretty much stuck with the 4 speed truck trans unless I want to get really spendy. Those I-6's run forever too.

4. Jay.. John Mummert makes an adapter to put a Ford T-5 behind the Y-Block.. You'll need the three speed car bell for that.. If you have a three speed truck bell it can be modified to fit the T-5.. Does the engine have a trans or bell with it?

Check here for more info http://www.ford-y-block.com/

or poke around on the Y-blocks-forever forum as there have been a bunch of tech articles on it there..

5. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I don't think so the zf 5speed has an integral bell housing on it

Ya I know but it would be cool to have a Y block but i dont want to go with an auto and i still want to be able to pull a trailer when done so the trans is the only problem

I don't think a t-5 would last long pulling a car trailer

6. hot rod newt

hot rod newt

Did any of the bigger trucks have a 5 speed trans in them? If you're not towing very far or heavy, the t5 shouldn't give you any trouble. Just stay out of 5th when towing and keep an eye on the trans temp.. I run a t5 behind a 351w in a f-100 for the past 15 years with no trouble, but I don't tow much with it either.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The Ford manual transmission bolt pattern stayed mostly the same from '49-64, so an early Ford T&C Toploader (think Mustang, not Hot Rod) will fit - bulletproof. If you need a top shifter, the shift-tower from a Jeep T-176 will bolt in with minor mods. If you want an overdrive, the T5 is the easiest to adapt, but I'd worry about it lasting behind a truck that's used for towing...

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

9. hot rod newt

hot rod newt

Forgot to mention, the t10 in my roadster came out of a falcon ranchero and bolted right up to the 3spd bellhousing on the 292.

10. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

you might be able to find a 5 speed out of an old bus or grain truck... alot of them had dual disk clutches and an extra deep bell on the 22k# and up trucks.
    I had a 1958 f350 i pulled the 261 I6 and put in a 292. I kpt my 4 speed all the 5 speeds I found were double klutch and no overdrive.
    I had a scheme to mount another tranny backwards to get overdrive but never did it.

Your best bet is to run highway gears and a 6:1 granny low NP 435 4 speed. If you can find a T19 4 speed out of a ford 6.9 or 7.3 diesel they had a close ratio and non granny first. All T19's are fully synchronized as in in syncros on 1,2,3,4.
    It might not fit the bell since all ford manual tranny's from the early 1970's and up share the same bell mount pattern. the old 292/6cylinder truck trannies were different at the bell. A 292 car bell might work with a newer T-19. any bell that will take a newer toploader or T-10 will take a T-19 or NP435
    If you find a 4 speed out of a 4x4 with a married transfer case then a tranny parking brake setup off a zf superduty tranny will bolt onto the transfercase mount in place of the transfercase should you want to run 4 wheel disks

11. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

I might just try to find a toploader out of a mustang or just find a 300 six and 5 speed and save the Y-block for a rainy day

Thanks for the responses

12. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I forgot all about this from advance adapters...
    [​IMG]

it's an overdrive that fits between you tranny and bellhousing

13. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

My uncle has one similar in his 68 ford highboy behind a 390 i thought about something like that but didn't think they still made them. Coming from advanced adapters its probably pretty spendy but its still an idea

14. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I want one myself...
    I figgure the 1500-1800 for the ranger being the same as a rebuilt overdrive tranny... I can put in the ranger and wear out or break a tranny and just replace the cheap tranny or play with different ones.
    I have the full synchro T19 2x4 tranny... it could go behind a pontiac 389 and into an OT open wheeled rod with tall highway gears. slow shifting???? so what. if I wanted to shift fast I'd run an automatic. :)
    or...I'd like to find a T19 4x4 tranny

I have a 76 f250 2x supercab I put my 77 f150 suspension and axles into. It has a 460 and automatic but I picked up a 4speed setup with a part time gear drive case and will swap out the c6 for a 4speed and add lockouts. It has 3:73 gears and 33" tires
    the setup I got is the granny low np435. I don't go rock crawling so I'd rather have a full synchro close ratio T19

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  15. ptra2417

ptra2417
    from wallkill

im having the same problem now. i want to go with an overdrive manual transmission but i just done think a t5 is strong enough. i have a 1959 f350 with the 292 and a 4 speed trans where 1st is a creeper gear. i was told if i had the bell house from a 3 speed column shift and modified it a t5 will work. the only question now is what can repace the t5? a tko 500?

16. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I may have a 5-speed for sale out of a 56 F250 currently attached to a 272/292 Y block......PM me if you alla re interested.