Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shot bag question for metal masters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Triggerman, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I's like to construct a shot bag to form compound curves in small parts. I can't afford shrinker/stretchers, english wheels, planishing hammers, et al. Sooo, I thought I could get started with a shot bag. I have a few questions;

1-For those metal formers that already have such things, how much shot should I use (weight).

2-Do you prefer lead shot or steel shot?

3-I have been told to use number 7 1/2 or 8 shot, do you agree?

I plan to use a buddy's walking foot sewing machine to make the leather bag. All helpful comments are greatly appreciated.

2. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I use a leather purse with a really stout zipper. Not so full that the seams burst, but not a lot of movement either.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. 50merckid

50merckid

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Sand will work.

6. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I have Black Beauty in mine, about 3/4 full. Keep in mind lead shot creates lead dust after you beat on it a while.

7. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Where do you buy the lead or steel shot?

8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

9. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

shot bags i have used are around 12-15 inches in diameter and around 3 inches thick , youre about ok with shot sizing and around 3/4 full is good the bag should be firm not saggy .. i prefer lead - it just seems a little more solid i cant explain that, maybe although softer, lead is more dense dunno leather needs to be a minimum of 1/8th thick - helps spread the weight more evenly ( hammer to metal to bag blows)

Also what works is a block of hardwood .. (you can burn with a oxy acety torch or blowtorch to create various hollow sizes which in turn hardens the work area to retain a longer life - if you have do more than 1 a particular shape) , you can use a ballpein hammer i have 3 different sizes using the rounded end to shape many curves ..

a large round ball bearing i have one around 4inches in diameter is a handy thing to have - if you can find one , easy to hammer flat sheet over to a neat curve if you take a little time ... and is surprisingly similar curve to alot of differrent areas to many older cars

either get at least one good planishing hammer really helps for good dressing up / finishing
    i could go on .... (phew)

10. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Fellas, I have been away from the HAMB for the last day. Thank you very much for all your informative replies. I might have enough info to build something now.

Big Bad Dad, you can buy lead or steel shot from shotgun reloading suppliers. As you are on the other side of the country I could not discern what stores you have. If you have any hunting buddies, ask them.

23crate, your advice was particularly descriptive. Thank you.

50merckid, that is a really cool store. I'm gonna have to bookmark it.

11. Very helpful info. My wife made me a couple from leftovers from some leather upholstery work. Have one filled with #8 shot, and one with sand. I agree that the shot seems to spread the force out better for me. I don't get as bad a "bag of walnuts" look with the shot.

12. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

#8 lead or #8 steel?

Ed

13. pool

pool

I bought my lead shot at a local gun shop, can't recall the price but think it was by the pound. I once used a canvas money bag from the bank I worked at. They got new ones from time to time and it worked great.

14. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Without everything else, you're not going to get too far with just a shot bag. :)

15. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Well you're right retro, but a guy's gotta start somewhere. Like most of us 99 percenters, money is tight and I can't afford new tools. I'm just barely makin' it paying the bills so I thought I might start small.

exwestracer, I will repeat the question RigdeRunner posted, lead or steel shot?

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I use sand too. $2.50 a bag at your local big box home improvement center.

17. MP&C

MP&C

Keep in mind sand creates silica dust, so pick your poison.

The last two bags I had made were made from kevlar bus seat material. One is about 16" diameter, the other I had made about 5" diameter to be able to use as a dolly for door skins or otherwise. I use #8 lead shot, got it from a local gun shop. My old one was made out of an old purse, and used a zipper to put the shot in. The zipper leaks. The two new ones were made up, filled up, and sewed closed.

Here's the larger of the two new ones....

[​IMG]

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Iam going for it MP&C
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

19. Here in calif lead shot was outlawed but you can still locate nos bags not cheap

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Steel shot can eventually rust from moisture in the air, unless you're using it every day to keep things working and shiny inside.

I've got a bag filled with sand that I've used from time-to-time over the years--very handy to have, even if you don't have all the other tools and equipment some people claim you'll need.

If you use the bag infrequently, and it's filled with steel, you could end up with a bag full of rusted clumps.

-Brad

21. cretin

cretin

What? I just recently got lead shot from IMS.

22. toolman1967

toolman1967

You can also use some of the blasting media if you do not want to use sand. I use sand and other than having to "fluff" the bag every now and then it works fine. Stumps are cheap and easy to build and Rolls and Ferrari used to use stumps back in the day. Cheap homemade body shaping tools are easily built. I have a dozen slap hammers made out of a set of leaf springs.

23. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

.Fillers lead although as bit toxic is possibly better, smoother finish ,, steel can be a little hard , and will shorten the life of your bag ,,, sand is pretty good , but maybe fill your bag a bit fuller than you might with lead , or just use for aluminum sheet ..

Toolman1967 yep homemade tools are great -- i have 2 dollies made from one bigger one with the help of a few hi -tensile bolts and a mig.. result -> great choose your own shapes to make them out of .. my favorite gets used on every thing, but was designed with a 1/2 half round channel in it for reshping late 30's for gaurd lips
    also reshaped a planishing hammer to make long narrow channels ..

yep then fun of it all

24. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,

I've used a piece of 2'' thick urethane foam pad for a shot bag for small shaping projects.

Also, a bowling ball held in the middle of your shot bag makes a good ''poormans'' panelhead for stretching large crowns.

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

27. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I didn't mean it in a negative way. :)

28. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

29. Sorry, missed that. Lead shot. I have a friend who pours all his own shot, and he gave me enough to fill the bag.

BTW, I found #8 lead in several online stores, and none said anything about not shipping it to CA.... just FYI.

30. ablebob

ablebob

Every tool ever invented started out as "homemade". Building tools helps develop your skills.

Everytime you see a odd hammer at a flea market, garage sale. farm auction, etc buy it if its cheap. You can always weld or grind on it till it does what you want it to do.

The best tool you have is between your ears.