Register now to get rid of these ads!

429 Cadillac Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Nov 28, 2011.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

I have a 429 Cadillac engine with a front seal leaking. My question is do I need to pull the timing cover to change the crankshaft seal or will the seal come out the front. I havent pulled the thing apart yet so I dont know. I want to order parts but I'm not sure what all I need, just a seal, or full cover gasket set. Also wheres a good place to get the seal/timing cover set and a carb kit?

2. adamshumard

adamshumard

3. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

Just pull the balancer pop the seal out and pop a new one in with proper sealer. no need to pull the cover off if nothing else is leaking

4. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Pretty sure you're going to have to pull the cover to change the seal, I did it last year on a 63 390 which is essentially the same. I order most of my parts from Rockauto.com. good luck.

5. rustang

rustang

I'm pretty sure the cover will need to come off. I re-built my 429 back in about '98 and i knoe I replaced the seal with the cover off....be uber careful so you do not crack the cover as finding one could prove difficult....

Also there were some differences from the '64 to '65 429, not sure if the front cover was one of those differences.
    Tom

6. adamshumard

adamshumard

Mines a 67 anyway. I assumed I would have to pull the cover just wanted to confirm. Thanks for the info.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Thats the best year to have ........They run better than the 66

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

You do not HAVE to pull the cover.
    BUT
    You are much less likely to screw up and crack the front cover or scratch the crank snout if you have it off.