Register now to get rid of these ads!

What wheel fits 48-50 f1 column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50jimmy, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 50jimmy

50jimmy
    from kansas

Im working on my 48? 50 ford f1. Does anyone know what kinda splines? keyway they used on the original steering column? Im gonna have to find a new wheel of some sort. It has a 54 Ford car wheel on it with a big ol horn wheel, but the plastic is about all gone off the steering wheel. Way past filling and sanding down.

2. I have a 57-60 Ford deluxe pickup wheel on my '48 F1. Probably the same splines into the 1970's but the depth of the wheel increases after 1960 on pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

The passenger car column changed from the taper and key to the splined shaft in 1949.

4. 1955 was the last flat wheel in a Ford truck.

5. 50jimmy

50jimmy
    from kansas

Dad put the current wheel on when I was about 4 years old. I havent been able to pursuade it off yet. I would like to put something similar back, but I dont think I will be able to fund it, so I was thinking maybe a wheel out of a seventies heavy truck with little or no dish might work. It needs to be a big wheel, This ol ford is hard to turn if you' re not moving. I havent been able to find any new cheap wheels with no dish around.

Im going to try to do this one with as little cash laid out as possible. I caved in and bought a buncha repro stuff for my gmc or it might never have gotten done.

6. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Does anybody else know of other steering wheels, even non Ford, that fit the '48 to '50 Ford F1 splined shaft? Is there an adapter made to fit the aftermarket steering wheels to F1? Best wishes, David.

7. Maybe Dodge or Plymouth but that's a guess.

My other F1 has a Grant adaptor and aftermarket wheel but you better have some developed biceps to turn it.

[​IMG]

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That looks a LOT like a '57-'58 Ford passenger car wheel, but with less dish. Cool.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So if I want to use a '57-'58 Merc wheel in a hot rod, I should look for a '49-up F-1/F100 box/column? Good to know.

10. actually 1948-up for pickups

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

A 57 Merc. accessory wheel on a 56 F-100 steering box in my 32.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And a football tach to boot. Neat!

13. Yeah, Dodge fits also, but you need to grind/file out the locating section (non splined section) of the spline in the wheel.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hudson's from the same era fit. 53 ish This wheel came with a steering box that I bought for the cool automatic column mast but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. I never used the mast tube.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^Thats a neat looking wheel. Never even thought of looking at a hudson wheel.