Register now to get rid of these ads!

F.E.D. Dash Panel Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racer Frank, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Racer Frank

Racer Frank
    from Milton PA

I am currently building a 180 inch wheelbase fed and I am getting ready to start the dash panel. I would like to see photos to get ideas for gauge and switch placement. Show me your dash photos!!!

Frank

2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

No gauges in my dash. There's a pressure gauge on the back of the motor & that's it.

I do have a shift light in the dash - it's bright enough that you can "see" it while looking at the track.

I've never actually looked at the dash during a run.

So I added a pic. Not alot to see, but I'll describe what's there from Left to Right.

"KILL" switch on left disconnects battery and kills mag (LED above it lets you know battery power is "on".

FIRE BOTTLE KNOBS - each bottle has it's own knob - although both systems are tied together.

SHIFT LIGHT - bright enough to see while NOT looking at it.

ENGINE START - black button with "ENGINE START" actually on it- small, but large enough to operate with gloves on - also machined a collar around it so it cannot be accidentally activated.

MAG KILL - red aircraft switch with hood - slam hood shut and it trips switch - very very easily activated. With the other "KILL" switch "on" and this "off" you can crank the motor and not start it - handy at times.

Chute levers on left - pull the close lever deploy one chute - pull the far lever deploy both chutes.

Fuel shutoff on right - I marked it with an arrow - to remind me which way is "off" - never hurts to have reminders - especially as a hobby racer.

Shifter on Right - will only crank in "park" - switch on trans so a mis-adjusted cable or goof up there won't matter - switch directly on shift arm on trans - less places for error there.

Also notice the seat belt hangers - belts are up and out of the way when you get seated - nothing worse than sitting on them and having to fish them out of your rear end when you're in a hurry. IMHO

As you may notice I cannot see the oil pressure guage once seated - I watch it during motor warm up and my guy that helps me looks at it right before the run - even if I could see it - I doubt i'd react fast enough for it to do any good. YMMV

I'm an admitted amateur - I did what was comfortable for me - I think that's the most important consideration for what you're doing. Think it thru - decide what's "right" and go for it!!!

OK way more than you asked, but I always like to hear people's logic when I'm asking questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Racer Frank

Racer Frank
    from Milton PA

Hemi Rambler

This is exactly what I am looking for. Information from racers that have "Been There Done That" .Although everybody has their own preferance or way of doing things if it works it works. I can lay it out in cardboard to get a feel and Tweek it to fit me..

More FED dash photos please..........

Frank

4. Racer Frank

Racer Frank
    from Milton PA

5. the shadow

the shadow

oil pressure off of the top back of the block next to the mag on my SBC, I do have a water temp mounted behind my steering wheel but thats for before and after a run. as with hemirambler I never looked down during a run!
    Paul

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Anything you want to monitor should be in your direct field of vision no matter what you are racing....looking down is a bad idea..........Littleman

7. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Afraid I do not have a pic, but it would look like ramblers. I can see the oil pressure guage that is mounted on the back of the right head. Shift light is mounted to rear of blower. Parachute on left and I cross over with my right hand. Fuel shut off is mounted to the fill cap on the rear end and is obviously between my legs. Kill switch is on the left center of the butterfly, trans break on the right. Fire bottle controll is on the right mounted to the shifter. I looked at as many as I could find when I built it and there are countless correct combinations. Whatever works for you and is reachable and safe. There really is no room under my cowl to fit anything without smacking it with your knee. My RED is set up the same with the exception of the shifter for consistancy.

8. DRAGSTER_JOHN

DRAGSTER_JOHN

[​IMG]

here is mine, parachute lever on left, oil press gauge, butterfly with all kill oh shit switch on left and trans brake button, below that is fuel shut off, shifter, then starter button and mag switch, the water temp gauge on right is disconnected, i dont run water anymore, just didnt want a hole....lol