Register now to get rid of these ads!

moving to Duncan, SC... anyone know anything about that area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pauliesocial, Nov 12, 2011.

1. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

Ok so Im moving to Duncan, South Carolina in about 1 1/2 weeks from San Diego for work reasons... My company (Tri City Paint) opened up a new warehouse out there and I am transferring to it .. That being said I am looking into whats around there and if anyone knows of the happening spots and all... Duncan is smack dab in the middle of Greenville & Spartanburg... Here are some questions that I have below.. Thanks for any help that can be provided...
    1) I need a GOOD old fashioned barber... any of them around?
    2) shows / live music venues / honky tonks / etc?
    3) get togethers, car shows, bbqs, etc?

Thank you once again for any help that can be provided... I have been in San Diego for 2 1/2 years and finally getting back to the south ... Thank you again
    Paulie

2. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

It used to be a little mill village but has become a rapidly growing suburb of both Greenville and Spartanburg. Most of the fun stuff is in either of those two places, though you might find a few interesting gatherings in Greer. My parents lived there for about ten years before moving to Greenville.

3. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Hello, I have lived in the upstate all my life so maybe I can help with a little info.

1) I need a GOOD old fashioned barber... any of them around? Don't know, I buzz my own hair.

2) shows / live music venues / honky tonks / etc? The Handlebar in Greenville has a good variety of bands come thru. I just saw Rev Horton Heat there a couple weeks ago. Ground Zero is located in Spartanburg and is more rock oriented and has some good shows themselves. Hank III played there this week.

3) get togethers, car shows, bbqs, etc? There is always something going on around here. There are numerous local cruise ins around, some which you can find here: <CITE>upstatecarshows.webs.com Being in Duncan you will be 1.5 hrs or less from Charlotte Motor Speedway which is host to the autofair. Info here: <CITE>www.charlotte-autofair.com Also Goodguys is held at the speedway late October. </CITE></CITE>
    <CITE><CITE></CITE></CITE>
    <CITE><CITE>Search for Grits and Grilles here on the HAMB. It is a breakfast get together on the 2nd Saturday each month in Greer.</CITE></CITE>
    <CITE><CITE></CITE></CITE>
    <CITE><CITE>I am a member of the Geargoyles Car Club that host the Steel In Motion show at Shadyside Dragway in Shelby N.C. I am probably bias but this years event was one of the best shows of this type in the southeast IMO... Here iS a thread here on the HAMB from this years event. </CITE></CITE>
    <CITE><CITE></CITE></CITE>http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548869&highlight=steel+in+motion Also info for the show can be found at www.steelinmotion.net Keep an eye out here for updates as we get closer to the show.

Club info on facebook to: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Geargoyles-CC/139541939430811

Our car club tries to get together as much as we can and go to local cruise ins and shows or just get together and hang out for a good time. Get in touch and come hang out with us.

Curtis

4. derbydad276

derbydad276

my uncle just retired and moved there nice area schools are pretty good if you have kids I was amazed on how cheap the gas was last time through

5. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

SOUTH CAROLINA has the cheapest gas in the south , like jersey

6. how about $2.76 for gas...that's what I paid on the way back from GG's in Charlotte the other week.. Duncan is NO San Diego, but it is a nice little town. Curtis answered most of your questions correctly and there are a few old school barber shops in the G'ville/Spartanburg area...I use Hall's in Mauldin which is just down 85 from Duncan. hope the move goes well for you

7. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

Thank you everyone for your comments and help in this. Ya I am originally from the south and have spent the majority of my life in Georgia, Texas and Louisiana so I love small town country living and imo the south is WAY better than san diego because we are raised on manners and respect.. but anyways ya im moving there on the 21st and looking forward to being back in the south.. curtis ill definitely hit you up...
    Paulie

8. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Welcome!!

Pretty good scene here between the anderson area to concord Nc....

9. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'm just outside Duncan, Welcome! Curtis pretty well answered your questions but he forgot one thing be careful around Duncan cops they can be pricks especially when it comes to speed limits.

10. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

Thanks merlin ya I don't speed anyways .. I had a dui here in san diego last year and have been walking the straight and narrow since ... my boss and the owner of the company were out there a couple of weeks ago and were blown away cuz they had unmarked squad cars lol.. I laughed and told them welcome to the south lol

11. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Gotcha. Since Duncan is close to I85 they throw up speed traps from time to time on it and I'll bet the unmarked were probably paid for buy the mass speeding tickets they gave out. LoL

Aside from that your coming to a good area, Lots of cruise ins and such, And steel in motion that Curtis and his crew put on is a killer event.

12. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Ronnie Pearson- Pearson's barber styling in Greer- 2nd generation Barber, should be able to fix you up. On 101 across the street from the helicopter.

Duncan, Lyman Welford and Greer are all infamous for speed traps.

Another place you will become familiar with, Midway Auto Parts in Greer, for your old car parts. Been around a while and still have counter guys that know parts.

Welcome to the area!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  13. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Been to Midway Auto Parts three times in the last week. It is great to talk to folks at a parts counter that knows parts!

14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I bought a rebuild kit for a 55 Chevy master cylinder there last month...I wouldnt recommend trying that at Advance or Auto Zone.

15. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

for a local flavor-go to Grits and Groceries in Belton-best food you ever ate! They do have a website.

16. <cite><cite></cite></cite>
    <cite><cite></cite></cite>You will meet some of the nicest people this area has to offer!

I can't add any more information than Curtis. HRP

17. willburton7

willburton7

Don't have much to add but welcome back to the south!!! I live in Anderson and there are a few good shows and cruise in's down this way.

18. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Welcome to South Carolina - Mayor

19. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hit up the Beacon restaurant in Spartanburg.....good, greasy eatin'.

Run to the Sun in Myrtle beach 3rd weekend in march.

Drive up HWY 11 in the mountains.

20. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

thank you everyone for all the nice information! I have been here in Duncan since Monday after a HUGE issue with Delta both on Sunday night and then Monday evening when I landed in Greenville and found out that the idiots in Atlanta neglected to put my dog on my flight! Talk about one pissed off guy when I found this tid bit of information out! I can understand losing my luggage but my damned DOG!!! I got him that same evening though as well as the $225 that it cost me to place him on the plane and a free plane ticket good for 1 year!

But, anyways yes I am loving being back in the south and the people are amazingly nice! I went to GROUND ZERO tonight to see Bloody Crackdown (ex members of Gwar) and Antiseen... rad lil place! I definitely be checking out Ronnie Pearson for my trims as well as The Beacon sometime in the very near future,.. I have been trying to catch up on my Waffle House food diet and had me some Cracker Barrel today as well...

21. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Hearing that I'm glad I don't fly, Welcome home.

BTW book mark this link http://upstatecarshows.webs.com/ It will give you the listings of cruise ins and such through out the year.

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

WELCOME back to the SOUTH !!

I am in the middle of the state ... but I do go to a good many of the upsate cruises and events. This is way different than San Diego.

As you most likely know ... lots of old barns, fields and old cars around.

:D

23. edweird

edweird

i just sent you an email.

24. clips221

clips221

Welcome to the upstate. I'm in Piedmont just off I-85 between Greenville and Anderson.

25. Welcome back to the south!

I used to do business with Joe Young, the guitar player for Antiseen. He had a regular job working at a little hole-in-the-wall used Record Store in Charlotte. In spite of what you might see on stage, he's a pretty good guy!

Lots of great car activites around here. As mentioned before, don't miss the Spring Charlotte Autofair! http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

welcome home brother! Its not everyday we got somebody moving into the south that is actually southern :)

usually we just have people from Long Island bitching about how the south sucks and staying anyways ;)

anyways, I would like to extend a formal invite to you if you are ever up near Charlotte feel free to hit either me or any of the other Iron Lords up for a little hospitality show around.

We are located in Concord about 10 minutes north of Charlotte Motor Speedway (Lowes)

We have parties in the fall for Good Guys and in the spring for Auto Fair, we also have open shop night every wed evening and Hotrods and Hotcakes the first sat every month.

27. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

As hotdamn said, get up to Concord to one of the Iron Lords shop parties. Super nice guys with some cool hot rods!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, try to make it to Heavy Rebel Weekender next year in Winston Salem, NC. I see you like music along with the car scene and this show is killer. http://www.heavyrebel.net/Home.html

28. Welcome to South Carolina! I got to agree with Curtis, if your into the music and the cars Heavy Rebel is a good time. But I do have to say that "Steel In Motion" was my favorite show of the year, Make sure you make it to that one. We'll be back for sure!

29. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

I prefer Fatz to Cracker Barrel, a local "chain" that is kick-ass.