Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Station Collections?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneSpar, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Cool piece. I had a couple that were branded Mobil. Neither were as nice as yours. I sold them and immediately wished I hadn't.

2. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Thats an awesome picture! Thanks for posting. The pump in the center (National A-38) is highly desirable among collectors. The pump on the right (Bennett 541) is my favorite style of pump.

3. I came to the end of this thread at #92 and wished it was longer. SOOO... Back to the top!

4. Dodge Dude

Dodge Dude

tanke1.jpg

tanke2.jpg rebuild last year this 50´s station.

Attached Files:

5. Lono

Lono

[​IMG]

The gas pumps read .25 cents. The music is 40's Blues to 60's surf. There's no ipod docking station and life is good.

6. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I'm just moving into my house so just my living room is partly done. This doesn't even put a dent in my collection. Ive been buying and stashing away for 15 years and have a collection probably numbering in the thousands now

Attached Files:

7. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

I picked up 3 more gas Pump Globes. I found a guy clearing out a collection and I am grabbing all I can!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got a gas Pump front to hang as a sign and a 1952 Graco Gear Oiler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I'd love to have that little yellow sign that says "wreck ahead" !!!!

9. Yea, I've had a few guys oogle over that sign. It's the only one I've ever seen. Was missing 2 of the glass 'jewels' when I found it. Had a friend over one day and he mentioned that his dad used to make jeweled signs back when. A few days later, he gave me a few jewels of each size he had. One size was a perfect match for my missing ones. Turns out he has 1/2 dozen, five gallon buckets full of jewels. I tried to buy them but he won't let them go. He told me if I needed some for other signs he'd fix me up but wouldn't sell. I did buy a few NOS embossed traffic signs from him though.

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Wow, great thread! My dad and I have been collecting forever. Got a little bit of everything, but like signs the most. Things got out of hand so we cleaned out the garage and had a big sale last year. Still too much junk, not enough time to organize/display.... LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Silverplate

Silverplate

12. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

1/2 of my STP collection.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      121 KB
      Views:
  13. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Shell service station sign I just restored.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      443.8 KB
      Views:
  14. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Oh my god Big mac, that is incredible!!!!!!!!

Very Nice Standard!!!!!

15. 2935ford

2935ford

Anyone have an old unrestored air pump they wanna sell?

16. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

A New Gasboy!! Ya I know..... Nice Vents!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

For those that are into miniature gas stations.......I came across this guy at a swap meet here in Florida. He is from Ocala area. He does a whole bunch of different vintage style gas stations and speed shops in 1:18 scale. He can put a picture of your car inside the bays for you if desired. He does very nice work and has great detail. They are very nice people who do this as a hobby/business. Each one is hand built by Lee himself. They do sell some items on e bay under the seller name "2guitarheros", or their e mail is [email protected]. I'll try and post some pics of the Sonoco station I bought from them with pics of my Coronet inside.

Forgot to mention the dimensions....they are in the neighborhood of 23" long, 4" deep, and 9" tall. He has some styles that are illuminated on the inside, and you can hang them on a wall, or display them on a table. Very cool stuff.

Attached Files:

18. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

19. Road Duster

Road Duster

Nice juck. Stop by and see my junk.( But a men keep your hands off my junk)

20. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

[​IMG]

Just started in on my 1928 Martin & Schwartz Model 19A clockface circa 1928.

It is a pile of parts right now waiting to be sandblasted. This is the only image I

have of it when it was together. Since I used to work for Mother Mobil, I am

going to restore it as a Mobilgas Pump.

VR&C.

21. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

22. Here are a few of the items in my shop.

Attached Files:

23. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

24. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I just love that Gulf sign!:D

25. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

Just got the decals on my Gear Oil Lubester, and finished a couple of signs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

WOW! some really really, cool stuff on here. I've been collecting for about 15 years, but had to sell most of it when the economy tanked. With no intent to hijack the thread I have a question.....I still have about 200 oil cans, a lot are paper and some are leaking, Will it effect value or desirability if I drain the oil into my pickup??? I ask becouse I know all the collectors that know a lot more then me will be on this thread! Thanx.

27. havi

havi

I hope to establish a worthy collection but really just getting started. I guess the question I pose is; does this stuff show up at garage sales, flea markets, or? I mean, where does one find this stuff without paying through the roof?

28. I have found, like everything else, trading is the best way to get stuff... example, I traded a cheezy DR Brush Chipper for a Bennet #964 ... we were both happy! And people will "bless" a person if they know there stuff is going to a good home .... I have had alot of vintage stuff just given to me.

29. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Your best bet is to hit antique stores, flea markets, and car swap meets. Prices tend to be more realistic and negotiable. The big petroliana shows are great for educating yourself and entertainment, but prices tend to be "optimistic". Sam123's advice on bartering is a good idea if you are looking for larger pieces such as pumps, etc.

I started collecting about 25 years ago (mostly signs) before the ebay curse and high visibility auctions blew up the market. Since I buy what I like as garage art, I'm adverse to paying stupid money for something that's going on the wall. Consequently, I haven't been buying much in recent years, but I still find the occasional piece at a good price.

30. LoneSpar

LoneSpar
    from Pacific NW

The Gear oil lubester I have above was found at at Garage sale for $20!!!

Attached Files: