Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 Ford Gasser Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Poor Boys Garage, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Poor Boys Garage

Poor Boys Garage
    from Kansas

Hey folks, I'm looking for any articles, post, or anything related to turning a 1940 Ford Pickup into a gasser. I have a '40 pickup that I'm wanting to build as a gasser. What I'm mainly looking for is ideas for building a frame and setting up the suspension. I don't have a frame for my truck and I'm planning on building a square tube frame and run a straight axle frontend, but would like to get ideas of wether it needs any kickups in the rails, things like that. I know some of you will say why turn a '40 into a gasser. Well in my defence, I'm using a 46 cab, running fiberglass '40 fenders and building a smaller bed. So I'm not hacking up a good true '40 ( I do dig a traditional '40 Ford Pickup hot rod as well) Also does anyone know of a good fiberglass hood manufacture? Possibly one that has a built in rake to it, I've seen a '40 hood with it sectioned with a little rake and thought it looked killer.

2. speedyg948

speedyg948

never seen a glass hood with a rake built into it,saw a glass hood in the speedway catalog but i dont know about its quality, maybe try the westcots website ,their kinda tha cadillac of glass parts...bob drake makes a steel one but be prepared to drop some long coin on his stuff...good luck with your project ,it will be interesting to see one built gasser style

3. Build one of the best gasser frames out there... based on a '40 Willys. There are lots of photos and dimensions available. Especially for a pickup cab, doesn't really have to fit many places. Then if plans change or you stumble on a Willys body, you have something.
    Just a thought.

4. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I like what you're planning!!!!!

Attached Files:

5. Ford built a 390 HP 390 so your 350-400 HP can be done with all stock pieces.

A fab9 is a little high end for what you are building, a good 31 spline 9" will hold up just fine.

For shassis just build youre basic perimeter chassis, look around for pick of a stock truck chassis and you will see what needs kicked and where. Another thought is to just look sround for a '46 truck chassis they usually go pretty cheap and it wouldn't take much to make it right.

6. chassisbuilder

chassisbuilder
    from new york

Definitely kick up the front rails if you are going for a gasser look, typically working with straight rails in front will tend to push the front end up quite a bit and lead to using a drop axle to keep the car driveable. I have tons of gasser chassis pics we have done over the years if you car to pm me.

7. Poor Boys Garage

Poor Boys Garage
    from Kansas

@Onemansjunk. I've seen pictures of that truck floating around on the web, pretty cool truck. Is that yours?

8. niterunner71

niterunner71

I have a question too. I have a 40 coupe and am debating on installing the speedway gasser axle in the stock frame, I currently have the traditional 40 ford buggy spring setup. I would be using a stock, boxed 40 chassis with vega box and 58 ford 9 inch on ce spring kit. small chevy with 4 speed for power. has anyone else doene this? I was inspired by Gary Raber's 40 ford coupe on geezer gassers, though I would be building mine for street use. Pic of Gary's car attached

Attached Files:

9. 50chevycoop

50chevycoop

I am currently in the middle of my 40 pickup gasser project, I’m doing pretty much the same thing that you are with the exception of drivetrain. That pic that onemansjunk posted is actually my fathers truck, he build that about 15 years ago. That truck is currently in the UK now. That was the first ‘hot rod’ I ever worked on/rode in as a young kid -about 3. I’m building mine now with a bit of insight from him. I used a ‘47 3/4 ton frame and back halved it and put an early bronco 9” in it, 4:11’s with a spool. I’m working out the front end now. Straight axle parallel leafs. 327/4SPD. Channelling it 3” chopped 4 1/2”. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app