Register now to get rid of these ads!

t-5 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat-Foot, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I got my hands on this transmission yesterday and I am thinking about giving it to my dad for his 32. What number do I go by when researching this trans? I was told it is out of an 89 s-10 but one of the numbers came back to a mustang. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also roughly what is this trans worth. I paid next to nothing, just curious what you guys think.

[​IMG]

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

4. hightower611

hightower611

There is a paper tag that I can just see on the top cover right behind the bell housing. The tag has the numbers 1352-XXX as well as a UPC type of code. The 3 identifying numbers behind 1352- will identify what it is out of. I like this website to do your simple id. http://www.5speeds.com/t5/index.html

5. George G

George G

T5's sell for $100 at pick a part.

6. box50

box50

Hey man, I think mine is a 89 model cant remember I paid $100 for the tranny and the drive shaft.Later on dudebox50:D

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

No, it's an S-10 T-5. The only number that identifies what it is exactly, gear wise, is the metal tag number. All the rest are individual part numbers.

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The numbers you're pointing out are casting numbers - they're nearly useless. You need the metal tag (steel on the early S10, so likely rusted) that should be on one of the lower tailhousing bolts - normally on the driver's side. But you do have a UPC tag on the top cover - that will be the identifying number as well.

Realize that these trannys are 25+ years old now and likely rebuilt at least once, so what's inside gear wise is anyone's guess.

9. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

Just by lookin, I can say with some certainty that, that is an S-10 Tailshaft and Shifter at the very least.................. :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  10. ironhill

ironhill
    from Simms, MT
    1. Montana Hamber's

Definately an S-10 tailshaft and shifter, mustang and camaros had the shifter at the rear of the tailshaft. The S-10 tailshaft swap is a favorite amoung the tri five guys so the shifter is up further to use a bench seat.

11. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

Bellhousing is made for the 2.8 V6 Chevy. So I'd say S10

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Thanks for all the responses. I looked up the number on the sticker and its from a 85/86 s10 v6. is this even worth considering? It would be behind a mild 350

13. ironhill

ironhill
    from Simms, MT
    1. Montana Hamber's

It all depends on how you want to drive it, for the most part the V-6 ones are geared lower in the first few gears, have less splines on the input shaft makes for a small clutch. You can go to your parts store and get a clutch with the same splines that is just about as big as your v-6 clutch would be. Other than that they are pretty much the same as the camaro v-8 trannies. Unless you are will to pay the $$ for a WC (World Class) one, they are suppose to be much stronger. They came in the more performance cars like the trans am ws-6 and z-28's. I did take first gear out of my in my camaro with a 305 but I was abusing it pretty hard. Put one in my dad's 56 bel air he loves it. I'm going to put one in my 57 bel air sometime soon. Its not going to be like a super t-10 4 speed but if you don't abuse it and know its there, just depends on what you want to do with it

14. squirrel

squirrel

you can look at where it bolts to the bellhousing and tell right away that it's a chevy transmission, not a ford. The bellhousing is for the "little" V6 or 4 cylinder, you can tell by looking at it.

Like all T5 transmissions, it has too many gears.