Register now to get rid of these ads!

Antifreeze in crankcase!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Battleship Bill, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Battleship Bill

Battleship Bill
    from Itasca, IL

Recently upgraded my radiator, and am now losing antifreeze, and finding it in my crankcase. No leaks in the radiator, though engine leaks oil. 1966 390 big block Ford FE. Any suggestions on where to check first?

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

Head gaskets or a crack in a head. I guess it got purty hot before you changed the radiator.

I saw something crazy the other day at a gas station... A girl was trying to get her mustang to start, she said it got hot. I believe her, because as she was cranking it, water was gushing out the exhaust......... not a little water, like a garden hose.

3. Pressure test with normal tester & pull the spark plugs find out which CYL area

4. Fenders

Fenders

No good deed goes unpunished....:D

5. R Pope

R Pope

Pull the plugs and spin it over on the starter. You'll see which one squirts coolant.

6. From reading this it seems that you are associating the upgraded radiator with the coolant in the cranckcase. That is nearly impossible.

7. Quote "From reading this it seems that you are associating the upgraded radiator with the coolant in the cranckcase. That is nearly impossible"

I half to agree. You have an internal leak, Could be the intake or a head gasket. I'd pull the plugs first and see if any are steam cleaned and looking like new when they shouldn't. What else has reciently been done to the motor?
    The Wizzard

8. Battleship Bill

Battleship Bill
    from Itasca, IL

yes it ran hot, that why I got a beefed up radiator with electric fans. Think its safe to drive to the shop or should I have it towed?

9. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

You didn't have water in it without antifreeze,did you? If so,it could have froze and cracked the block and/or heads.:eek:

10. Ole don

Ole don

FE intake gaskets were known to do that. If there is glycol in the oil, drain it before you run it. They two when warmed and mixed will sieze the engine. Usually for good.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

those Ford engines will not survive with coolant in the oil, nor will many others.

it is possible that the old radiator would not hold enough pressure to push the coolant out of the system. Perhaps the added pressure was just enough to push the coolant through a bad gasket

12. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Could take a look at the intake gaskets too. Maybe some bolts loosened up or fell out all together. If the intake gaskets were leaking it would dump raw coolant down the oil drains. Are you getting a heavy mist coming from the breathers?

Some one might want to back me up with my thinking here.

13. How did you determin you had anti-freeze in the oil? And, NO don't drive it that way.

14. OldTC

OldTC

When it got hot you probably blew the head gasket......hopefully. No big deal.
    Worst cast scenerio...a head cracked.

Assuming the oil leak's an older problem......what was the time frame between the "ran hot" and the new radiator?

15. Battleship Bill

Battleship Bill
    from Itasca, IL

I'm not saying the new radiator caused the problem, just wanted to share that the radiator is sound. This problem started last week. Car runs hot, low on coolant, oil gets browner and higher on the dipstick, no coolant on the garge floor. I'm having the engine rebuilt later this month due to age, leaks, and oil use (1 quart/200 miles). Shop is 6 miles away. Still think I should have it towed in?

16. Battleship Bill

Battleship Bill
    from Itasca, IL

200 miles at most. This issue (coolant down/oil up) happened last 20 miles. The car, a '62 Galaxie, was a barn find. Not sure how long it sat idle.

17. Battleship Bill

Battleship Bill
    from Itasca, IL

Antifreeze, yes. We haven't had a hard frost here yet.

18. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

19. AG F/C

AG F/C

First drain the coolant and leave empty. Drain and replace the oil and a new filter...

Fire the engine for about 1 minute max to circulate the new oil and push out the water in the bearings.. This is so you don't damage the internals due to water/coolant contamination. Take it to the shop and don't replace the coolant or water. Tell the shop it is dry.

They can do the testing for a blown head gasket with the engine dry of coolant or water..

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

Don't drive it,tow it. Be sure you take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. To many shops these days don't work on anything unless it has a computer in it and when they get an older motor they are lost. Ask them to do a pressure test 1st and if they look at you kinda lost look for another shop.

21. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

I've heard that there are intake gaskets that are thicker to the bottom and thinner at the top because of this . I don't know if it's true or bullcrap but maybe someone can elaborate

22. 60 ford

60 ford

Probably Intake or head gaskets

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

everyones tellin you right. if it got hot then you are getting a coolant in the oil you can just about bet its a head gasket,possible cracked head. but also intake gaskets can cause this.even worse but not probable cracked block.but since we arent there to check things out and going by what you said id put my money on a blown head gasket.how hot did it get? ive seen old gaskets blow at about 230 and a head crack at 250.

24. Well it sounds to me like you will resolve your problem with the rebuild latter this month. Personally I'd do nothing between now and then. I would tow it to the shop if it were mine just to save as much as you can at this point. Assuming you've done your home work on shop selection I would simply bring them up to speed on the issue you have and let them look for the problem when they tear it down. If this motor happens to have the factory stock steel shim style head gasket and it sat dry I can all but guarantee you that's where the problem will be. Good luck with the shop you've chosen.
    The Wizzard