Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drs47ford, Nov 26, 2011.

1. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

I have a steering column question. I'm new at all this so please bear with me if this seems like a ridiculous question.
    Years ago I bought a 47 Ford coupe that was all apart. The typical never finished it project. The front clip is GM (he told me 77 Camaro). Got an assortment of parts with the purchase including a GM tilt column along with the original 47 steering wheel and column. Even though the previous owner "updated" the car with more modern appointments I'd like the car to at least look old school.
    So my question is this. Is it possible to adapt the original steering wheel and original column to the GM front clip. The front clip set up has power steering if that matters.
    Also, I DID do a search here and on the internet but I can't find anything. Possible I'm just not wording it correctly because nothing's coming up that's answering my question.
    Thanks

2. chassisbuilder

chassisbuilder
    from new york

Should be pretty easy if you have some basic fab skills. Typically you would just need to convert the original shaft to a round or double D style...several ways to accomplish this, and find the correct joints to mate it to the new box or rack. Posting a few pics of the column would help.

3. Ya, it's pretty easy. Just basic welding fab skills. Cut the end off the tilt column. Temp mount the Ford column, adjust length as needed (Borgson joint?) and weld the end of the GM column on.

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

5. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

OK I think I understand what I need to do. Thanks everyone for the input!!

6. F&J

F&J

You can use a flanged bearing from a hardware store, made for wheel barrows or lawn tractor wheels. It has a 3/4 shaft hole.

Then at the same store, buy a 3/4" locking collar with set screw, and a 3/4 bore coil spring. GM used to use parts like this setup.

The bearing OD may fit a little loose in your Ford column tube, so you may want to shim it with a thin slice of tube. Then, the spring and collar holds the bearing up tight to the Ford column.

Then get a joint for the bottom.

Someone said there is a kit to go with this type of swap, to be able to make the Ford horn button work. That Ford used to have the horn wire running down the tube, which you can't do now.

Attached Files:

7. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

Cool F&J....thanks

8. fordor41

fordor41

I installed a U-joint between the stock steering shaft and a Saginaw steering box. I also shortened the entire column a bit to move the stock shift linkage toward the firewall. Removed 2-3rd shifting arm and used 1-R for shifting arm to my auto trans.
    I installed a slip ring and carbon brush to pick up the original horn power that runs thru the steering shaft.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011