Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Juan Manuel Fangio Museum-Argentina//Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capochi, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Fantasic pictures- thank you for sharing!

Do you have any more information on this car? It looks like it was built on a 20's Chevrolet chassis?

[​IMG]

2. Outstanding post, thanks much. The man was unbeatable in his time.
    The video is great also. When the drivers were fat and the tires were skinny, he truly ruled.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for this thread... great photos, too! Gary

4. Capochi

Capochi

This car is called "La Negrita" ( Ford T -Chevrolet)and was built on a Ford T chasis with a 6 cylinder Chevrolet engine derived from a canadian chevrolet truck.

Thanks Guys!!

5. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I remember my father telling me that he and my mother were invited and had dinner with Fangio back when he was racing for Mercedes in 1954 1955 and shortly soon after got killed racing and Mercedes pull back from racing for a few years.

Frenchy

6. kvisser

kvisser

Fangio was a legend in his own time. These fellas had huge ballz, racing like that.

Here are a couple of shots of one of Fangio's mounts. Photos taken at the 2007 St Michaels Concours d'Elegance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I was fortunate enough to meet the man at the 1990 Pebble Beach Concours. I was wandering around where I shouldn't have been with a bogus press credential, and saw him standing by one of the W156 Mercedes GP cars he drove. I was able to speak with him for a couple of minutes and he came across as a very humble, open man with a genuine love for going fast.

I asked him what it was like to race those cars, and his eyes lit up and he was rubbing his hands together like a 16yr old when dad tossed him the keys for the first time... A great moment in my life for sure.

8. Juan Fanngio.....he was one of the greats.......always remember reading how Wayne Horning (Wayne Manufacturing) the king of Chevy six-cylinders had built the engine in Juan's 1950 race car that won the Buenos Aires Grand Prix that year.......great pic's.

9. I like the way they bobbed the fenders on the race cars back in the day...very cool to see the lotus race car thanks

10. Capochi

Capochi

nice!