Register now to get rid of these ads!

History S&S headers gone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Jan 10, 2011.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just got one of the last S&S headers out of the factory for my off topic car, I know this company has been in buisness for more then 40 years, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the company history? I do know they made some really good parts. They were just a victim of the economy according to a letter sent out from the company. Sad day when another long term company is gone.

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That sucks. Hopefully they can regroup and start again on a smaller scale.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Man that blows.

4. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I was just lucky enough to get a set from a friend who bought them right before they closed,never even opened the box, one of the last sets, I hope they open again too, lots of engineering experience in building good headers in that many years.

5. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Had a set on this car. They came from S&S in California when I was there in 1969-70 GREAT folks to work with! The pics were taken in Garden Grove.Sad ....

Attached Files:

6. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

Bummer. My first set of headers I bought were S&S for my VW. I remember that the quaility was outstanding and ran them for many years. VW guys will miss them for sure.

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That's too bad. I used them on our VW race engines and pimped them to anybody who wanted quality. They were the best flowing out of the box VW header.

8. Larry T

Larry T

I've bought several sets of headers from them, mostly street rod types and Anglia fenderwell headers.
    All of them were high quality, sorry to see them go.
    Larry T

9. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

That bites!! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!! This sad happenings are going to continue until we all wake up!!

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Had a chrome S&S header on my "built" 64 VW, way back when.
    Super quality and performance Sure hope they can find a buyer who will maintain their level of quality.

11. Racrdad

Racrdad

What The Heck??? Just this morning the tv news reported the economy was getting better! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I have S&S fenderwell headers on my coupe. They are excellent quality parts. Shame to see another one go down.

13. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Be nice if some "gold chainers" were in a position to invest money to help these companies. Believe me when I say that made in USA has relevance all over the world and not just in the States. This kinda links back to a thread awhile back about sometimes buying local off the shelf rather than DIY to keep these sort of businesses afloat. Selling another 100 units a week might have been enough.
    Andy.

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The hot rod parts business has survived the ups and downs of the economy over the past 40 years because the target customer was always able to find a job. This time it's different and I don't expect to see a turn around anytime soon. I own rental property and the try to keep the rents 10% under market. Yet, there are more and more vacancies as tenants double up, move in with relatives or move out of the area looking for better jobs.

This one of the very few times I'm glad I'm old and don't have to worry how the whole thing turns out!

15. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

S&S paid the light bill in the 60s-70s with VW stuff! My headers were fenderwell on the Dodge, as well. They're fenderwell stuff were works of art AND the cars would fly with their stuff!

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I bought a set for one of my projects. THEY WERE NICE ...

Hate to see them go out of business.
    Just another case of where CHEAP wins over quality :mad:

17. That is an old letter, I got it at the end of 2009! They closed up in early 2010 and there was an auction of most of their equipment etc.

18. chassisbuilder

chassisbuilder
    from new york

I know this is an old thread but I am curious how many guys used S&S over the years that would buy their headers again? I re-designed their Willys fenderwell header a few years ago and they were a great fit. When we found that they went under I managed to locate the guy who bought most of their remaining inventory, jigs, bend sheets etc and purchased most of their older muscle car/ gasser part numbers and associated parts. I am considering starting the business again and before I lay out 50k or more for a mandrel bender I am looking for any and all input. We would revive the fender well headers to start and work on 33 Willys, Anglia etc as we progress. If any one has suggestions please let me know. I would also be looking to purchase old SS headers that we dont have fixtures for. Also looking for any leads on shops that would be interested in bending tube for us if we cant find a suitable bender. Thanks in advance for any help.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you restart the company, the headers you produced would not be "their" headers, they would be yours.
    So it's pretty hard to ask someone if they would buy them.

Part of S&S past success was due to quality of their design and construction, as well as dedication of the owners and a number of talented staff.

Just because you have some of their designs, jigs etc., does not mean that what you produced would be the same as what they produced.

If anyone bought your stuff it would be for the same reasons they bought from S&S, good quality and reputation.

You can't expect to get customers based on the old S&S name and reputation, you will have to earn that yourselves.

How many instances have we seen where a good name was turned to crap by a new owner or by the original founders kids ?

20. PM sent ;)

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if you can produce these with the same quality as the originals, then the customers will find you. S&S was the only company to make a decent header for my off topic car, someone has copied their design in stainless, but it has really bad welds and the ports were horrible looking, of course it's produced in China, I was lucky enough to get one of the originals right before they closed, it hasn't been run yet, but will be jet hot coated and carefully taken care of. I suspect they had jigs to make a number of oddball headers that the big companies won't bother with

22. chassisbuilder

chassisbuilder
    from new york

Very good points, Blue One. I have seen good brands turned to crap by new owners (American Racing comes to mind first of all) and had not really considered some of your points. I just assume people try to make a quality product because thats what I try to do. Admittedly there are many who are out to turn a profit at any cost. For the folks who know me on here the quality of the work speaks for itself and would be every bit as good or better than what we received from S&S. We would also be able to offer slight customizations that others cannot. While it would be very easy for me to market them as my own, I would like to keep the brand alive for Nostalgia's sake. Whether or not that is even possible remains to be seen, I have repeatedly tried to contact the last owner about purchasing the name and rights to the brand and website, but she is near impossible to reach. With that said my biggest intention would be to make headers for the niche market that seem to be near impossible to find....Willys, Anglias, Austins, early Fords and Chev's etc turned gasser. I think that these are overlooked by all the major header manufacturers because of the small volumes. I would be thrilled to sell one or two hundred sets a year, where they need to make 100 sets a week. Again, all valid points and I appreciate the feedback.

23. Is that a real M-Code Bee?