Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help with a mustang gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sex_shooter64, Nov 24, 2011.

1. sex_shooter64

sex_shooter64
    from BELL

so i scored a 64 mustang gas tank. i wanna put that in my car (64 galaxie) i was wondering what gauge would work since im pretty sure mine wont work with the stock mustang sending unit any help would be great thanx

2. Killer

Killer

yours should work.

3. Same make, same year, explain why it wouldn't work.

4. Mustang tank formed the floor of the trunk and held in place with screws around the tank edge flange; Galaxie tank mounted under the trunk floor pan and held in place with straps, and I suspect was larger in capacity. Plus the Galaxie sender mounted through the top of the tank versus the front on a 'Stang, which may actually work in your favor, But, do you REALLY want to hassle with this? I understand wanting to be frugal, but why not sell the Mustang tank, save up some $ and get a correct one?

5. you need a Mustang sender

6. OP's question was what gauge to use as he thinks his won't work. The gauge on the dash, I assume. I see no reason why it would care if the sender is Galaxie or Mustang.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think the correct one is about $500.00. if my memory is right. Mustang about $150.00. I agree the 64 gauge should work.

8. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

If your gas gauge is 10-90 ohm range then the mustang sender will work. Hope this helps

9. i dont know why youd want to do this that stang tank is only a 16 gallon or so

when the galaxies tank was around 20 if you have a f/e under the hood your gonna want the extra gallons

but as others have said you shouldnt have a problem with your stock guage and the stang sender

on a side note the 70 mustang tank (same mounting as the 64 holds 21 gallons)the 69 tanks hold 19

10. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Yes either sender will work. Most Fords up to 1989 used the 73 Ohms empty to 10 ohms full sending unit.

Which Fuel Tank Sender Do You Really Have?

0-30 Ohms (GM Type '64 and earlier)
    0-90 Ohms (GM Type '66 and later)
    75-10 Ohms (Ford Type '86 and earlier)
    16-158 Ohms (Ford Type '87 and later)
    90-0 Ohms (Toyota and Nissan '85 and later)
    240-33 Ohms (Standard Aftermarket)