Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 36 Ford coupe (My new ride) and an amazing collection of vintage stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Nov 24, 2011.

1. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Well since I sold my 40 coupe rather abruptly, I had been looking around for a different ride. One day I remembered back a couple years ago when I was building my coupe a good friend introduced me to an old local hot-rodder here in Omaha that rebuilt a set of Holley 94's for me. An amazing man 74 years young with lots of drag racing and Bonneville history. Not to mention owning his own Hot-Rod shop and specializing in Corvette sales all through the 50's 60's and 70's
    At the time a couple years ago I remembered him being in the middle of a 36 ford project. Was sitting on saw horses in his old shop getting a few up grades (sbc, 39 trans. w/Zepher gears, 39 rear, 40 brakes, etc) and super solid nice body.
    He has quite the collection of old parts and cars but is pretty well known for not selling much. I gave him a call anyway. He wasn't real excited about selling the 36 but said to come out and talk and he would show it to me since I hadn't seen it for awhile.
    I called up my friend malcolm to see if he wanted to come along and he headed right out and we took off to see it
    Nearly took my breath away as we came around the corner at his house and there it was sitting outside. He had done an excellent job. Nothing flashy just old time hot-rod stuff the way he would have done it in his early days,the way he's always done it.
    We talked for a couple hours and reminisced about his past and his local car club "The Jacks". He gave us a tour of some of his stuff including a 66 BBC Vette 2 ZO6 cars, a beautiful Folkstone Grey 40 Deluxe a 40 standard that still retains it's original black shiney paint, a 50 Olds he raced as a B Gas car that he recently found and recovered in So. Dakota and plies and piles of vintage parts everywhere along with several project cars scattered about the property.
    He took me for a ride in the 36 and I took the opportunity to ease into a "would you consider selling it conversation". He still wasn't to excited about the whole idea and told me one of his old friends had already approached him about it also and if he was going to sell it he had first shot.
    Me and Nick thanked him for his time and headed off, on the way home I told Nick he's not going to sell. I couldn't blame him.
    We returned to my house and was talking about an hour later when my phone rang I about passed out when I saw it was the 36's owner. He told me he talked to his friend that wanted it but could no longer afford it and to sell it if he wanted to.
    I was honored when he told me he felt comfortable selling me the car, as he felt I truly understood what the car was about and wouldn't screw it up. It's now in my garage.
    I don't plan to do much to it. It would be pretty hard to improve on, the paint is old and dirty ...perfect... It drives straight down the road at 70-75 mph doesn't wander drift or pull when you hit the brakes. The sbc runs pretty hard and overall it has very few squeeks and rattles. I am going to finish off the interior (looking for some sort of distress leather etc.) and thats about it other than drive the hell out of it.
    Here's some pic's of the coupe and some of his collection. Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Very very nice score! Drive the wheels off it for me will ya! :D

3. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Sweet story and car. I love 36's!

4. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Here's a few more pic's of some of his stuff

Attached Files:

5. 28chevrat

28chevrat

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

wow!

please give me first dibs when you sell the 36....you know you will.

good going Gary

7. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

nice purchase and a great story! thanks for sharing. have fun with that coupe.

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

wow-- I love 36's and did not know you had sold your 40. Cool---

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

The 36 is great, looks like he has some cool stuff.

10. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Good grief! That guy has the mother lode! Great score, the '36 looks awesome.

11. olskool34

olskool34

Awesome car, looks alot like Roy Montgomery's place here in Michigan. love those old timers that hold on to this stuff.

12. VonKool13

VonKool13

Great Score! How does that motor run with the 2x2 adapter? Does it get out of it's own way pretty well? I'm going to be running one with 94's on my SBF and I'm wondering if Rochesters would be a better choice.

13. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Would have been a tough decision selling the '40...looks like you did alright with the replacement!

14. hvychvy

hvychvy

Sweeeet!!! Loved your 40 too.

15. killbilly

killbilly

Gary,your 40 was parked outside my window at the Baymont at the 2010 Pile-Up,what a beatuiful car! looks like you won't have to do a lot to get this one as you want it Phillip

16. Your very lucky to get a ride like that, enjoy it! A lot of old rodders never sell that stuff!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  17. poorboy

poorboy

Sweet! That's my dream car

18. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great story, love the 36.

19. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Nice to see someone get it that will appreciate it.
    Mike

20. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Wow ,good for you man !

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

nice gary! awesome score. hope to see it at the drags next summer.

22. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Your on Bob, not in a hurry to get rid of this one though

The 40 sale came about kinda quick. Still a bit of a surprise to me too. Went to a good home in Lawrence Ks. so probably still see it around

I could have shot pic's there all day

This setup runs as good as any sbc 4 bbl I've ever had. There the big venturi 94's off 56 Fords. Smooth responsive plenty of power

It was tough, but the thought of no cleaning polishing waxing is easing the pain

Thanks !!

23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What a nice score. The next car I get will be either a 40 or a 36 and I hope will be as nice as the one you had or as nice as the one you do have.

24. Gary, The 36 looks great...Nice score guy. Sure would like to see all this old guys treasures some time...Any of those parts for sale?

25. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Nice score Gary. Sounds like you were being interviewed the whole time. Nothing for sale if your not the right guy . You done good ! I bought a 38 Chevy convertible from a family that owned it since 1953. Not for sale, but after years of "interviewing" they finally decided to send it on. Makes it hard to sell after though.

26. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Nice score! Post it up when you update the interior.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I saw the picture on Nick's FaceBook. Good catch!

iPhone - TJJ App

28. Amazing coupe Gary!

Nick was just telling me about it last night. It sounds perfect! Thanks for posting those great photos as well. Can't wait to see the '36 around town!