Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel shut off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rd martin, Nov 24, 2011.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looking for something to use as a fuel shutoff inline on my rpu project. just throught i would ask for some suggestions. looking for something small if possible. im running 5/16 line from speedway tank in bed down rt. side. what you guys been using. i have the usual brass valve with the big handle, any other ideas ? remember reading about the flooding issues some had with the tank higher than carb. thanks

2. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

1/4 inch nipples,

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

Common on sprint cars. VERY small valve for the flow.

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm using the brass Home Depot one with the big handle & it has worked out very well. Mine is screwed directly into an 87 year old gas tank, which had a similar original shut off valve integrated into the bottom of the tank. I thought it would be a good idea to replace it. With our home brewed hot rods, it's alway a good idea to have the fuel shut off capability. I didn't have the gas tank higher than the carb flooding problem, but I did have the that Edelbrock "too much fuel pressure" problem flooding problem in the beginning of tweaking the initial start up process. The shut off valve came in very handy then.

5. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

Snyders Antique Auto parts has an electrical fuel shut off. You wire it to your ignition and when the key is on the fuel valve is open, shut off key, valve shuts off. Very small and only 2 wires. I am putting one on my car and hiding it under the intake manifold. (to shut off fuel to carbs only). They run about $60. If you are interested I can take a photo of mine for you and give you an idea of the size. Send me a PM if you like. By the way, you can wire this switch any way you wish but this is how I'm doing mine, you can run it off of a seperate switch if you like.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks guys for the help. anybody else?

7. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

8. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

What about a shut off with a cable like on a fuel injection set-up?

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i been lookin at that todd, there are a couple on ebay. was hoping to find a manual with a small lever like the first one on here, but i need at least 5/16 fittings.

10. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Swage lock makes a nice stainless one.

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May I be so bold as to ask why you are running a 5/16" line? While adaquate for an engine of less than 200 hp, 5/16 leaves a little to be desired for anything wih any more power. Case in point : years ago, a friend of mine ran a '57 Chevy Bel Aire 2 Dr Hdtp in SS/C with a 270/283 and a 4-speed. Won the NHRA nationals in '61 as I remember. The next year, he got beat by guys running 270HP in a lighter 150 post car, so he built one for himself. As I remember, he didn't have a lot of success until he discovered that his (originally 6 cylinder) car had a 5/16" line from the tank to the fuel pump, while the V8's had 3/8 lines. He replaced the line and everything fell in place.

If you are running a banger or a flathead, you can ignore this post.:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  12. maniac

maniac

13. striper

striper

I run an electric solenoid valve on mine. Ignition off....fuel off

14. ice T

ice T
    from Ohio

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One pickup that I had came with a three way tank switch under the driver's seat. The handle was a couple of inches long but the valve was under the floor. I found it because I couldn't get gas to he carb and started following the fuel line. It was in the off position and the opening that wasn't used was plugged. Easy to just reach under the seat and turn it off when you got out of the rig.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im running an electric shut off also . no hassel no worries ............ steve

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks for the ideas guys, was wanting something manual but i will have to give the electric cutoff some throught.

18. ^ X2. I use this really small commercial unit that fits/hides most anywhere.

Attached Files:

19. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I had the fuel seepage problem with our 49 Chevy PU with the tank behind the seat, if I had over 1/2 tank and parked with the bed up the driveway incline it seeped past the carb inlet needle. I had the problem years earlier with our 31 A (cowl is the tank) and used a 12v RV valve to block the line from the tank to the carb. The last one I bought was from Car Quest (So Cal) don't recall price but very reasonable.

20. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

anybody else anything else manual?

21. Cerberus

Cerberus

Got this fuel shutoff valve from NAPA. Mounted it under the driver's seat on the frame rail.

Attached Files:

22. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thats what im looking for! thanks