Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA Dragster For The Coast Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old28, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry Tom, now you can say your a builder as well as a racer. People don't seem to understand the concept that it doesn't matter how fast or quick you go, it's all about the grins. My first pass down the strip was in 1962 at San Gabriel in a 1950 Studebaker Commander 4 door with a 244" flathead 6 through an automatic. 66 mph and an ET in the mid 20s. I still grin from that one.:D

2. Old28

Old28

64 DODGE 440 - Thanks Tom for the builder plug. I am happy at this time in life just to be able to spend time in the garage working on a fun project like this HAMBster. I think it will turn out just fine and maybe get someone thats sitting on the fence to jump in a build a HA/GR or SDRA car for our area. I still would like to see 15 HAMBster type cars at an ANRA race in Bakersfield in the next few years and I know Dick (Old6rodder) feels the same. Only time will tell.:)

3. Old28

Old28

Last week I got to work building the chassis mounts for the radiator, fuel tank and pump. I will run the small aluminum radiator that I got from Dick (ThingyM) and add an electric fan that I had from my 29 RPU build to help keep everthing cool. I want to be able to drive to the staging lane, race and be able to drive back to the pits.

I was going to mount the fuel tank on the x-member, but it did not look right and it was too high and blocked the air to the radiator. I moved it forward and lower in the chassis and I think it looks a lot cleaner. I got the pump and tank(2 gal) plumbed to the firewall area for the time being.
    I know AN fittings & SS Flex Line are not period correct, but after racing Nostalgia cars for the last 35 years I have lots of parts and I am going to use them.

I am working on the floor supports, drive shaft 360 deg cover and the anti-rotation stops. Will get some pictures in a few days.

Attached Files:

4. Old28

Old28

Well I got a little more done on the car in the last few days. Built a dual anti-rotation setup to hold the rearend in place after the KILLER 194" power house shears all eight 5/16" grade bolts that are holding it to the chassis, What is NHRA thinking, talk about overkill.:rolleyes:
    If it keeps our local tech guys happy it was time well spent.

Got the 5" x 20" tube cut in half with my trusty 4" cut off wheel and set in place for a trial fitting. Looks like I will have 1/2" to 3/4" clearence all around. Hope to get the tabs welded on and the cover in place on Friday.

Next things on list are firewall, floor and shifter mount.

HAVE A GREAT TURKEY DAY & STAY SAFE

Attached Files:

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Thinking? You give'em far too much credit. Try "paranoid flinch-reacting". :D

Looking good, Sir. :cool:

6. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom... I think they are 7/16" bolts Not 5/16 holding the rearend in..But they all are correct, That is starting to look like one nice race car.. Glad you could use the parts..

7. Four Banger

Four Banger

LOL! Old 6, you whacked it right on the head! NHRA is NOT synonymous with rational thought.....
    Old 28, that is one fine car you're building. And hey, NHRA is just looking out for ya. Those 194's are well known for being brutal......

8. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Ya Dick, 7/16 is correct, a slip of the keyboard. If that 194 can snap those bolts then I will stop building a 250/292 motor and and put some better rods in the "little bolt".;)

Four Banger -- Thanks for the kind words on the build, not to bad for a "Driver" wanting to be a "Builder". On that killer 194 between the rails, well (ThingyM) wornded me when I picked it up that the rear end might to be able to stand the brute force.;)

9. Four Banger

Four Banger

I probably should have updated my progress (or lack thereof) in that last post. I've steadily added to my parts pile, while taking care of several other projects. Life does get in the way. A change at work has brought me good fortune, at least financialy, so it looks as if it's about time to get going, here! The design is finished, and the parts are 99 percent present. I guess this thing will have to be called an SDRA car, since although the trans will be a stick shift, I'm stuck using my 194 Chevy untill the right vintage power falls into my lap. Details.....Anyway, a trip to the store for a cut off saw blade and some welding wire, and here we go! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

10. Old28

Old28

Four Banger -- All are welcome on my build thread and it's great talking racing & building. Glad to hear that life has taken a positive turn for you and that your going to get to building. :)

A 194 with a stick, sounds like a fun SDRA HAMBster.

LOT'S OF PICTURES while we can still see them.:D

11. Four Banger

Four Banger

This engine I have is somewhat a mystery. It was built YEARS ago for a six cylinder sprint car class we had here at the time. The story is, it has 265 V8 pistons. If that is a fact, it would have been bored.190.....That sounds like a hell of a lot of meat off the 194 cylinder wall. That makes it an actual 215 cubes, and coincidentaly Pontiac made a 215 in 64 and 65. However, their blocks had PONTIAC cast into the side, and this thing is definately a Chevy block. I'll know as soon as I yank the head and look around. It does have a forged crank, which is 194 in origin. I'll use a truck flywheel to give it some extra snap off the line, and I have two Rochester Monojets that should work okay for the displacement, and the rpm I figure it will take. Whatever it ends up being, it's all I have, so there ya go! I hope to locate an older Chevy 261, or Jimmy 270 eventualy, but those engines are getting nigh next to impossible to find around here. The scrappers have just cleaned out the area, of the old stuff. I'm not getting concerned about the engine right now, however. The chassis is where this project is going to be really different.....Stay tuned!

12. Old28

Old28

Four Banger -- You need to start a build thread or add to an existing one with this information. It's nice to let all the HAMBster people see what your doing. I will be very interested in the exact bore that the engine is as .190 is way over what they say for this block.

Even if you got only a parts pile, no problem, let us see what you got.:D

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

x2 :cool:

14. Four Banger

Four Banger

Well.......Here's the deal. I have made the decision to do this build thread backwards. The car I've designed is so different from everything yet built, that I don't want to tip my hand just yet! Even pics of some of my parts will doubtless reveal my sinister plan. And no, I'm not "scamming" the rules. This thing is not only clearly, without opinion, within the rules, but also in "The Spirit of the Bug". Oh boy,howdy, is it in the spirit of the bug!!! I'll post pics of the finished car, then show the build in progress so everyone can see the details. Eeeee! I'm giddy as a school girl just thinking about this!!!! I haven't had this much fun since I played in the 18 piece marching kazoo band at the George G. Papoon inaugural ball in 1976!

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Side by side middie bangers? :confused:

You gotta just know that teaser's gonna get some wild guesses. :rolleyes:

Hope you have the equanimity to withstand the onslaught. :D

Looking forward (patiently) to the unveiling. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  16. Four Banger

Four Banger

Side by side mid engine bangers? I wish I had thought of that!!!! Nope. One little Chevy six....that's all. First guess....WRONG! Oh, this is getting more fun all the time!

17. bobw

bobw

A Kenny Ellis type 3 wheeler with sidwinder engine position, laid flat. Did I win???

Tom, your digger just keeps looking better & better.

You mentioned an anti-rotation device. Were you speaking of the arrangement you have by the pinion? I have an old 2008 rulebook and don't see anything about that. Can you tell me what is needed?

18. Four Banger

Four Banger

Bob, I like the way you think. I'll bet you and I could build something really odd after drinking a couple too many adult beverages! Sorry....WRONG ! I did give a lot of thought to a sidewinder set up, but the chassis would need to be about four feet wide to accomodate the engine and clutch.....

19. superbinder

superbinder
    from topeka, ks

How about a corvair????????????

20. Old28

Old28

Four Banger -- You defenently need to start your ouw build thread as with everyone on the HAMB takeing a shot at what you are going to build I won't have a place to put my stuff.:D

OK just a build thread without any pictures, that will work and my guess is over 100 shots by Christmas.;)

Now get with it, as my guess is a front wheel drive SDRA HAMBster.:confused:

bobw -- By the book for 11.50 & slower you do not need one, but because we are building the driver area by the 10.0 & slower our local tech guys like to see something that will stop the rear end from rotating if all the bolts holding the rear end shear at the same time.:D It an't going to happen. A lot has to do with the driveshaft or coupler running under your seat.

The truth is that you really only need an anti-rotation device on a car that has a spring type rear setup. But I have found after racing in this ares for 35+ years that if that's what tech likes your better off to put it in and not make an issue of it. Some guys like to fight the system, me, I want to race not argue about the rules, but that's just me.:rolleyes:

21. Four Banger

Four Banger

I'd LOVE to use a Corvair! However, even though they do meet the rules guidelines for year model, the rules specify INLINE engines if they are overhead valve. I suppose the rules don't specify how MANY "lines" of cylinders, but here I would subject myself to accusations of "Scamming" the rules. As I have mentioned before (ad nauseum), I have no issues with this set of rules, other than they are very poorly written. If I asked 10 racers "Can I legaly run a Corvair?" some would say "sure no prob" while others would bitch loudly "Absolutely NOT!" I'm not gonna dive into that ball of snakes....again. So....WRONG! Nope, one Chevy inline overhead valve six!

22. Old28

Old28

Well got the drive shaft cover done today and need to get into car tomorrow and get the measurements for were to place the front loop.
    Got to make sure that I have the 3" open space in front of my helmit as they have taged a few cars at our track for not having the 3" from your helmit face to the front bar face.

Next week it's floor and firewall.

Attached Files:

23. Four Banger

Four Banger

Old 28, I am sorry as heck. I'n my exuberance I didn't stop to think about stepping all over your thread. I know better than this, too. This thing just sorta grew legs suddenly. Please everyone who wishes to comment or speculate on my project, hold your comments from this thread. Again, my apologies for the hijacking. I didn't even know that loaded pistol was in my bag when I got on the plane! Really.....

24. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

N

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

25. Old28

Old28

Four Banger -- ALL IS FINE, Apologies not needed. This HA/GR & SDRA HAMBster thing spreads wings fast and takes you back to a time when drag racing was fun.:D
    I sent you a PM, check it out.

K Thornton -- Did not get your message from your phone, only "n"

26. ThingyM

ThingyM

Now this is starting to sound like fun again, I still have my chassis, Now if I could just get my Flathead here from Kansas, I'd be in good shape...

27. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Well Dick, As much as I would like to take a quick road trip it would cost us twice what the shipper wants. Bite the bullet and get it out here so you can get it in for the April Opener. We are going to have some fun this next year. I will work on the car most all of next week and then I go in on Dec 6.

28. ThingyM

ThingyM

Yea I know, But the cost will sure take a bite out of the $$$ that I have set aside to put the necessary "Go Fast" parts on the little Ford..Maybe I could ride my bicycle and pull the wagon back there and pick it up...BWHahahaha

29. Old28

Old28

ThingyM -- Well Dick that is an option and with that new knee you should be able to make it in record time.:D

Got to get it here, some way, some how.:rolleyes: HA/GR FH/4 Speed or SDRA FH/C4. What fun we will have. Keep it nice, I know which way you are leaning.;)

OK I've got a plan, I'll send money for radiator to start the "SHIPPING FUND" and then A driveshaft will add more, in no time you can make that call and it will be CA bound.:p

Tom

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Put a thread on the main board, "Looking for transport". You could find someone heading this way that would haul it for you.