Register now to get rid of these ads!

Post pics of phaetons- Lets see the tubs!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 5, 2010.

1. I know this is not technically a phaeton but in 1940 buick made the same mistake and today Chevrolet keeps calling the Corvette a roadster. What can we do with those guy?

2. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

[​IMG]

1939 Model 4-door Cabriolet

This is a 4-door convertible sedan converted probably from a Master 85 Sedan with stick floor-mounted gearshift, no "knee-action" front suspension and leather trim. These were converted by General Motors Continental, Antwerp, for Belgium and The Netherlands. The Plate on the car identifies it as a Model 1267, which is a Fisher Body Number for a Convertible Coupe. However, it should be be a Model 1229, which was a deluxe convertible sedan or Phaeton convertible: F.B. Vrijaldenhoven.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...E160D3DBD92379FD106EA33&first=181&FORM=IDFRIR

Im my humble OPINION, many cheap 1930's and 1940's 4 door sedans could be made into a really nice looking phaeton hot rod,,,and they are much better than a coupe or a roadster,,because you can haul people and junk in the back seat...

3. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

cu[​IMG]stom built for the middle east,,,

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Tell us MORE about this build,,please!

5. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

6. bpaw

bpaw
    from Colorado

This 22 cad is one that got away, owned it for about a year. Flat head V8 with about 75 mph top end, and about 1/4 mile to stop from 75.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

8. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

I love Phaetons, they look so cool. I'd love to have a tub to fit to my '32, but so far I haven't found a nice one over here in Europe. I'm going to keep looking while I redo the running gear, might get lucky...

Cheers, Eddie

9. tradrod

tradrod

A friends Lee Osbourne built (former sedan) tub

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. dutchrod

dutchrod

My tub chevy 34 ,still a long way to go.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  11. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

12. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

13. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Blown,,blower runs off of front of crank and is mounted below the head lights

[​IMG]

14. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

15. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

16. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

[​IMG]

MODEL A'S ARE STILL THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GO,,,LOTS AVAILABLE FOR UNDER $10K RESTORED, ON EBAY THEY ASK MORE BUT THEY SELL FOR UNDER 10K!!

i USED TO BE A COUPE/ROADSTER FAN,,NOT NOW,,,GOT TO HAVE A BACK SEAT FOR THE GRAND KIDS!!

17. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

18. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

19. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

20. davo461

davo461

Damn; I can almost smell that 'new' interior !

21. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

22. kirby1374

kirby1374

I've always loved Huey Duey and Luey's tub....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Dannerr, pecker head and ROCKER77 like this.
  23. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

saw this one in street rodder mag. a few months back and fell in love.the detail is killer and i dig the side curtains.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. padorey

padorey

here are a few pictures of my buddy's 38 Ford Tube, We belive it is a Downs body on a stock 38 frame Mistang IFS 350 Chevy w/ auto, roll up windows and a/c Removable Carson Top Mr Dan G also has a 36 Ford Sedan Delivery running out of Tucson, Az.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      538.5 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      513.5 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      487.8 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      513.4 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      539.9 KB
      Views:
  25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

One of my favorites.

26. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am liking PHAETON much more than Roadsters,,,its got a back set for my buddies or grand kids!

ROCKER77 and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

YOU CAN BUILD A PHAETON OUT OF OLD 4 DOOR CARS

[​IMG]

Feature Article from Hemmings Motor News
    November, 2010 - Daniel Strohl - Photography by Jim Donnelly

Most so-called rat rods are simply rolling junk piles, haphazard amateur collages tossed together with minimum effort to integrate the parts into the whole.
    However, when a family of restorers of Cadillacs, Lincolns and other high-end classics gets it in their heads to build a rat rod, the result is something more aesthetically unified, something more than the sum of its parts.
    <TABLE align=left hspace="5"><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Fate Vanderpool of Nashville, Tennessee, and his two sons, Will and Walter, knew they wanted to build a true dual-cowl phaeton, but didn't necessarily have a car to base their vision on. True dual-cowl phaetons are, after all, rather difficult to come by and are almost never in such a condition to warrant the hot rod treatment.
    "When we started, it took us a while to figure out how it should look," Fate said. "We looked at a lot of photos of dual-cowl phaetons and made a lot of drawings of what we wanted. We were doing it by committee; if anybody questioned a piece of the design, we started all over from scratch."
    Eventually, they settled on a design they all liked and began collecting parts that fit into their vision. The foundation of the rod was a 1936 Ford truck frame they found in a local barn. It didn't have a body atop it, but it did come with a 1939 Ford flathead V-8 and three-speed manual transmission.
    "The chassis and engine were sitting there 29 years and had never been registered for the road," Fate said. "It hadn't been an hour after we got it home before one of my sons welded a chair to the frame and started driving it around. That's when we decided to use that motor."
    The Vanderpools then boxed the frame and substituted Ford automobile leaf springs for the stiffer truck springs, but essentially left the mechanical-brake chassis alone and even used the Ford truck rear axle. Wheels from a 1936 Ford car, shod in 6.00-16 and 7.50-16 wide whitewall tires, help achieve a lower profile than the original truck wheels. The Vanderpools did nothing more to the flathead than shave the heads down a bit, add a pair of Stromberg 97 carburetors, install an electronic ignition and mount a pair of homemade headers that exit just ahead of the forward cowl.
    The trio then turned their attention to the body, starting out with the door skins from a 1939 Pontiac, relieved of their window frames. They positioned the skins to channel the body 8 inches over the frame rails, then hand-built the rest of the body around the skins. The grille assembly came from a 1937 Nash Ambassador leaned back at an angle. Below the grille rests a vee'd front bumper off a 1936 Ford.
    A 1949 Pontiac (front) and a 1950 Pontiac (rear) donated their instrument clusters to the project. The rear instrument panel includes a working speedometer, just as a true dual-cowl phaeton should.
    The Carson-like top was constructed out of 1/2-inch and 5/8-inch conduit, then covered with Haartz cloth.
    Lighting comes via a pair of 1936 Buick Roadmaster fender lamps reconfigured as taillamps, a pair of mystery headlamps the Vanderpools found around the shop, and a 1948 Pontiac hood ornament. They even added a center-mount stop light by using a 1946 Lincoln Zephyr's pushbutton door popper (which still functions to open the trunklid) and wiring lights in the ring around the button.
    "It's just a fun car," Fate said. "It's not fast, it's not very comfortable, but at least it drives."

This article originally appeared in the November, 2010 issue of Hemmings Motor News.
    Order Backissues of Hemmings Motor News

[​IMG]

28. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

I have seen your old tub at shows around here, well the body anyway.

29. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

30. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT