Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>The Starlite Coupe: 1964 Buffalo Autorama Winner<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Nov 23, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn 59K. I should have bought it while it was attainable haha!!!

Those brass tags in the trunk are awesome. the Rochester Review and the Autorama as well as the Isky tag are treasures on their own.

2. drfreeze

drfreeze

i'll have to run over there and take some more pics ..... i can tell ya it did start a fire under my butt to get on my coupe !

3. It went for the opening bid of $30K ... plus GOODING & COMPANY's 10% commission = $33,000.00.

I have to somewhat disagree with those who think this auction was the wrong venue to sell a Hot Rod like the "Starlite Coupe"... my father's old Deuce Roadster sold for $140K at this very same event:

Sports Car Digest - Gooding & Company Pebble Beach 2011 Auction Report - Lot #111.jpg
    Lot #111 ... 1932 Ford Highboy Roadster
    Hammered Sold at $140,000 plus commission of 10.00% ... Final Price: $154,000

S/N R1845482M; Black/Dark Brown leather. Estimate $125,000 - $175,000; Older restoration, 2- condition.
    Red wheels with 1946 Ford hubcaps and trim rings, banjo style steering wheel, steel body, chrome suspension.
    Engine accessorized with repro Ardun heads, Stromberg 97 carburetors with a Tricksters intake and a S.Co.T.
    supercharger. Originally built in the '50s, finished in this configuration in the '90s. Excellent body and paint
    with orange peel on the cowl vent. The driver's seat is lightly worn in. An awesome period hot rod with nice
    patina. No Reserve. This hot rod has a lot of great nostalgic appeal and speaks to onlookers who aren't
    necessarily modified enthusiasts. Unique and certainly worth every penny to the buyer.

... then again, the famous (& beautifully restored) "Al Dal Porto Roadster" also sold there ... but for only $80K (with an estimated value of $150K-$200K) ... so maybe the current owner of the "Starlite Coupe" will have better luck getting his asking price at a Barrett-Jackson, RM, Russo and Steele, or Mecum auction ... or maybe via a H.A.M.B. Classified Ad! :D

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  4. hotdamn

hotdamn

JJ, you know Im with you on this one bro, I say leave it. same thing with the dick roy coupe (I think thats the name? I gotta bad memory ;) )

I say if you don't appreciate the history of it pass on it. build your own.

now that said its also not like its a undocumented half apart car here, this thing is one of the most well preserved hot rods unearthed.

I mean imo lil deuce coupe is straight fugly as well but I wouldn't change a damn thing on it!!!

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

My god HEMI32 it must have been hell letting that go &#8230;.. I don&#8217;t think I could have

6. That's putting it nicely. It doesn't flow with the car AT ALL.

7. R&C RON

R&C RON

For a shop that deals with a lot of high end Classics and Sports Cars , I got a kick out of how Wayne and his mechanic were having so much fun playing with an old Hot Rod!​

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I hit up the Hot Rod Surf guys a long time ago when they first found it or they were restoring it for someone I don't know.. but they never got back to me.. I really like that car and I saw it for sale the other day.. I think I would change the grille too.. and I'm one to keep things as they were but damn that thing would be soo much cooler with the right grille.. I love everything else about the car tho..

9. zombie

zombie

blasphemy...

10. Oh yea! The Clutch Artists Autorama at the Masten Ave. Armory. That was our East Coast version of the Grand National Roadster Show. A lot of great cars were in those shows. Nothing better till they moved it to the Buffalo Convention Center, it ran its course and egos ruined it. Too bad... I really miss that show.

11. speters

speters

Saw it at the CT Dragway show that was covered on tv.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was pretty wild looking and rough. More rough than they showed on tv. At least that is what I remember. I could be wrong.

12. sololobo

sololobo

Way cool!! Thanx for a nice little nostalgia trip! ~sololobo~

13. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I'm sure I was at the '64 Clutch Artist's show at the Armory but don't remember the car. But I was a high school junior, who knows what I was looking at.

Lee

14. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

The grill is truly hideous:eek:
    The rest of the car looks cool.

15. We spoke with the owner of this car long before all this went down, when "no one was supposed to know about the car". The asking price then was ALOT more than Wayne bought it for. I just couldn't get past that nose. Great car otherwise though. I was at the CT Dragway Reunion with my Ford and got featured on the show. That was the first time I saw the coupe in person. It was very cool, but didn't really grab me like I thought it would.
    -Dean

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw it at the CSRA event as well, and agree about the grille, but history is history. I've seen a few of Wayne's TV shows and they are THE BEST for insight into this hobby we all love. The only problem is finding the station that carries them, or updating your cable service to get them in the first place. If you could buy taped old shows they would sell real well. If they are out there I want a full set for Christmas. Bob

17. WOW, my father and I went to that show in Buffalo. Fast forward 13 years, I put one of my race cars in the Clutch Artist show......great history on this Leslie car....that upper radiator neck catches your eye.....

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Chasing Classic Cars has a marathon all day today. I'm relaxing and watching it now...:D

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mind letting us know what channel has it? :rolleyes:

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahah!!! Sorry it's the Velocity Channel 1270 on Time Warner Cable.

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome....I would love to have that or find a car in that condition from that era.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did a Google search and I don't think Comcast carries it. I'd trade all the "Non English" and jock channels for the one that carries Chassing Classic Cars. For what I pay per month it would ne nice to have channels I actually view.

23. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

FUCK Man, I LOVE that ''A'', I really dig that interior!

Nick.

24. My club helped Gerry set this car up in March 09 at the show that has taken over for the Clutch Artist. Local friends remember the car being built and was a great comeback to the area car. It was pretty cool to see the old girl and wasn't running at that time, I've got some photos he had sent me somewhere. I found the zip file but can't get it to open for some reason. Here you can see a few of us near the display and the car in the background.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Bob -

Comcast does carry it ... but you must have an HD package as "Velocity" is the old "Discovery HD Theater" channel (part of the Discovery network).

Here in the Bay Area of the left coast, Velocity is on Comcast channel 754 ... but according to the Velocity Channel website, in the Ridgefield, CT market it's on Comcast channel 1242.

Someday us Comcast subscribers will be able to watch full episodes of "Chasing Classic Cars" on our computers or smart-phones via the Xfinity.tv website ... unfortunately, Velocity isn't one of the more than 100 networks currently offered on Xfinity.tv ... so for now, we can only watch these short preview clips HERE & HERE.

26. zombie

zombie

ha ha, dont get me wrong, i can see thats one ugly fucking grill. however, history cars shouldnt be messed with...

27. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

A dealer on Epay from Long Island had that car listed right up until last week, no bids when the auction ended

28. S.F.

S.F.

Yeah, i had seen that car a few years ago on ebay. Then again, and agian...then saw it for sale when wayne had it advertised way before the show was aired....It does seem to have a hard time finding a home, 30K was a steel for it at the auction... Wayne paid 25 for it...I love this thing, would NOT change a thing...I even dig the grill, its a nice period piece

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a great Thanksgiving! Great meal next door with daughter & son in law, they have a 42 inch TV and Comcast channel 1242!:DWatched Wayne and crew untill 8:00. That dark blue 3 liter Bentley is one I did the body work on back in the 1980's. HAMBer tacspitter did the upholstery, one of the nicest driver restorations around. The former owner was somewhat disappointed with the restoration, it was too nice to put two garbage cans in the back and go to the dump on Saturday. Something he used to do before it was restored. :eek:

30. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

That grill is so ugly I wouldn't even hang it on my wall......If it wasn't for resale value I'd throw it away... I'd have to hide it in the attic..:D