Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rodder's Journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BICKFORD, Nov 23, 2011.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

And with hope, they won't:D The world's magazine racks are currently littered with builds featuring faux or "satin'' paintjobs! Much like the 70s van craze with airbrushed graphics, they HAD their day in the sun:rolleyes:
    Who's gonna pay $15-$16 bucks for a magazine that's following trends that WERE cool fifteen+ years ago, and have been covered to death by the waste of good paperpulp magazines lookin' for a real readership?

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I think this grille could look really phenomenal with 1 bar removed, keep two, two bars removed, keep two, one bar removed, keep two, etc..
    Keep 2
    Remove 1
    Keep 2
    Remove 2
    Keep 2
    Remove 1
    Keep 2

What was the question?

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

I've agreed with most of the cars featured in TRJ (and I have 'em all, too from V1N1), but in the last year I've seen more and more of "car featured because of who owns it" syndrome. Just because George Poteet has something built doesn't mean it deserves a showcase in what is definitely the best rodding mag in the world.

4. I totally agree.

It seems like there is a core of builders (Brizio, Simard, Poteet, anything commissioned by a rock star) who are constantly featured.
    Its almost like its part of the deal of having a car built, "Of course, IT WILL be featured in TRJ when complete".

5. pitman

pitman

I can't say I've met Poteet, but the Brizio's and Dave Simard are top shelf folks, I met Dave when we were both 18 and out cruising out local turf.

6. slammed

slammed

DAMNED straight for this car. RIP Jesse.

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ganahl would have to do it.

8. primed34

primed34

I've been thinking the same thing.

9. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I'm pretty sure Dennis McPhail's Chevy was satin at the time.

10. X2 on that!

11. I enjoy all of the features in TRJ. I'm going to make a really subjective comment here, mainly because it's late and a holiday and I'm too lasy tonight to go thru the stacks of magazines to confirm my statement.....
    Maybe I am missing something but there are few cars east of the Mason Dixon line featured. If so, they are few and far between.

12. modelAfan

modelAfan

This one's for Andy Didio of SuicideAxle hotrod's 1950 ford Chopped, channeled, and sectioned. The extreme metal work on this car blows my mind.

Attached Files:

13. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

NTAPHSE Your car is pretty fuckin badass in my opinion And I dont care what chassis it is riding on. I guess if people are worried so much about what is going into TRJ they can always find another mag. Nobody is forcing them to look at it. Oh and I would love to see royalshifters victoria in there finished or not!!!:D

14. I would simply like to see some more long-form interviews with the giants of racing, LSR, rodding and customizing history...Barris, Garlits, Winfield, Hines, Prudhomme, Ivo, Larson, Mike Alexander, Harry Bradley, Dean Jeffries, etc...I see where R&C is doing this monthly now, but I'm thinking 5000-10,000 words plus...maybe the article could be a summary of excerpts with a link to the long-form interview attached within. I've seen many 1 or 2 minute interviews on TV with some of these legends and 1000-word print interviews here and there, but I sure would like to learn much more about our automotive forefathers before they pass....
    For example, the last Summers brother passed not too long ago and when is the last time anyone read an interview with one of them? Now it is simply too late.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  15. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Another vote for the Gypsy Rose. It may seen like a slight reach for TRJ, but the car is part of the Custom Car history.

16. Rikster

Rikster

What I would like to see in TRJ is a BETTER mix between Hot Rods, Drag Cars and Custom Cars.
    The subtitle for this magazine is Published for the Custom Car and Hot Rod Enthusiast. but with a few exceptions most issues of TRJ do not really have a good balance based on this magazines subtitle. The Hot Rods and Drag Cars are always very well presented, and fans of those can always be assure each and every issue will have plenty of great features on those.

But for the Custom Car enthusiasts among us, like I'am, we always have the question will there be any good Custom Cars in this issue... or did they forget about us again.
    Custom Cars really need to be much more part of this magazine than is has been in the past... or otherwise the magazine should change the subtitle... but of coarse I hope for the first option.

And for those on here who don't like Custom Cars, just close your eyes when TRJ pages with wonderful custom cars appear in front of you. Thats what I do most of the time when yet another 32 Ford is featured.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  17. McPhail

McPhail

My 52 was unchopped, had satin paint, and had a dash painted with Krylon when it was featured...... I'm not sucking up, but I've learned something from every article written on those pages. ......even when it's about ANOTHER deuce...........

18. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That would be soooo proper & pay huge respect to the culture. They did 'touch' on the lift suspension when they did X-Sonic but there are some other lifted cars that deserve the coverage. Esp with the aircraft set ups....I mean i got a old mag (Technical Lowrider) that had a great story on Bill Hines that shows pics like from the mid 50s-early 60s giving the lowdown on them. I've cherished that mag for years...However, i believe it would be incredible of the Rodders Journal to touch on some of the cars in Japan....some of the rods & etc being created over there are flat out amazing. The fabrication & craftsmanship deserve to be recognized. There are some incredible rides overseas & i think it would be really kool to show case the culture from over there.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I could never be presumptuous enough to think that I can do a better job than what they have done so far.

I sure as hell don't want the articles or cars to become a committee decision.:D

They have done a pretty good job on their own so far. I have no idea how those decisions are made or who plays a part in it. All that I know is that I love it and I hope they keep up the good work without a lot of suggestions from the peanut gallery.:D

20. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

Rik

That was very well said! I couldnt agree with you more. Thats how i feel about it. We Custom Car enthusiasts jacked on the features.

21. Racewriter

Racewriter

I've met Poteet and Brizio. They're fabulous people. That doesn't mean that TRJ ought to 'automatically feature' their stuff.

22. I have to agree. To each his own, though. Customs definitely deserve their place in history, but they just don't do much for me anymore. I like the "outlaw" hot rods that have the performance to back up the look. Injected big-blocks, Halibrand quickchanges, and 16x10 ETIIIs with dirt track tires on the back definitely get my attention. They might bash the late '70s and early '80s as being the "dark ages" of hot rodding, but there were some badass Outlaw cars built during that period. Cars built by guys like Kollofski, Lobeck, Sullivan, Hanson, Prufer, Bauder, and Fat Jack. Damn, I loved that era.........

Viva La Hot Rod!!!!

23. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

seems to me that The Rodders Jounal likes to have some kind of history and a good story behind the car they put in the book, they did llike 6 pages on my dads scrap book of photos of old car shows in the 50's and 60's (i think ) #51 and a little thing on his car The Gator the gold 51 chevy. I think that the customs they do put in there must have some kind of class, and good flow or a bunch of history. dont forget the history TRJ loves its as we do to.

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Right there with you on this era! I think of them as "improved" nostalgia cars. TRJ does a great job of covering them. Traditional hot rods with a little MSG...

25. 49toad

49toad

The Rodders Journal should due an artical on Tom Hanna and the Worlds most Beautiful front engine dragster. Tom was the pramirer body builder in the 60's and is still restoring dragsters here in Wichita Kansas. He's not getting any younger.

26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv mentioned this before …. Still hard to believe they haven’t.
    Id sure love a large feature on the Doan Spencer roadster with the usual high quality photos (lots of um) and a full history w all known old photos…..I know its all been said / printed before but its fragmented all over the place in other publications.
    IMO
    The roadster deserves nearly an entire issue dedicated to it and the man

27. Well put Rik. I think part of the problem is sometimes the full fendered cars that are featured are treated as "customs", as it pertains to filling the custom quota for the title of the mag, are not really customs.

It is a great magazine regardless and it's always neat to see what people think should be featured.

I think Jeff's car would be a great feature and has the history (last Dean chop) to add to it's worthiness for consideration.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Abso-freeking-lutly!!! More More More...

29. erlomd

erlomd

Absolutely....

30. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I think all the people that think they are qualified to say what should and shouldn't be in the magazine should post pictures of what they have built or owned........ And then should have to pay the rodders journals bills for one month to put out the best magazine out there.

Just Gary likes this.