Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm back in business

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatluckys, Nov 24, 2011.

1. fatluckys

fatluckys

After years of overworking myself, burning out, dropping out, and roaming the world as self-unemployed upholsterer vagabond I'm officially back in business. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the new home of Fat Lucky's Upholstery (currently a Forever 21 sweatshop).
    [​IMG]
    I'm really excited about the move, but I have some serious startup costs, and need to raise a lot of cash fast. Everything here is for sale. If anybody wants anything of mine, come on over and buy it!

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Congratulations !,..... Now get back to work, and quit slacking off ! :D

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ok...for those of us that envied your work, and wouldn't mind having some of it ...what the hell is a "Forever 21 sweatshop" and what exactly are you doing and why do you need a cash infusion...???

R-

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may be all wrong but I'd be willing to bet some of the items on those work benches are on this website page http://www.forever21.com/Product/Category.aspx?br=f21&Category=acc_handbags&lang=en-US

A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do and that looks like honest work keeping a crew busy in the process.
    Now to win the powerball and show up in Austin with a truck needing an interior and a pocket full of green ones.

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im positive 99% of the people on this board would like to have their car upholstered by you.
    Now, considering that not everybody can afford it, and that the world is not just the hamb, i guess you have a long list of possible future customers already. Your work is unique and absolutley top notch.
    I bet it wont be long b4 you start pileing up some dough.

Congrats and wish you best of luck. and i wish to myself to get some extra bags of cash so that i can have some seats done by you....;)

6. fatluckys

fatluckys

I think Forever 21 must be a girls store in the mall?? Anyway they are moving their operation out at the end of the month and I'm moving from of my home garage and part-time work into my dream shop and real business again. It has all happened very suddenly- I'm not quite financially prepared for the move, but I am ready to work!

7. DRD57

DRD57

I have a feeling you'll soon have the funds to cover you expenses from completed work rather than liquidating your stuff.

You are a very talented craftsman and your work will be in high demand.

8. Never2low

Never2low

Kickin ass and takin names! Do you get to keep the helpers? Ha!:p Kidding.

Is the list of garage sale items up to date? If so, I'll take the Round-up shirt and the black HAMB drags one. Let me know.

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Glad to see you are back at it full time, love your work

10. Is this dream shop in TX? A sweatshop in the USA? Not to be a di** but I thought all sweatshops were in Southeast Asia, China, and India. Mexico is too expensive now.The workers have gotten smart enought to know they were getting hosed and have started to demand higher wages and better working conditions. Good Luck. I would love to have a tonnoue cover done if I could afford it some day.

11. Marcy

Marcy

Looks like a beautiful building---LA?

Congrats

Marcy

12. slammed

slammed

Look's to be a start of a line of apparel. Good luck son. What's a writer do?

13. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Good luck man!

14. fatluckys

fatluckys

Actually the temperature in the building is perfect. I just like to say 'sweatshop'. Yeah, I'm moving to LA (where I have been living unofficially about 70% of the time anyway). I still have my house and home shop in Austin, and a ton of work to do here, so there will be lots of back and forth from CA to TX for a while.

15. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Congrats and good luck on the new venture, don't forget to come back to KS sometime for another backroads run through the hills.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Has anybody approached you about a reality show? Not that it would be a good or bad thing but maybe some quick cash!

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm saving my pennies for a FatLucky interior in my coupe, which is still in parts. I'm not joking, $50 a pay period goes into an Ing account. After I saw the Silva Special, Big Olds, and then finally the gold/black Buick, I knew that'd be the only way to get something like that for the coupe.

Good luck with the start-up!

18. fatluckys

fatluckys

Not quite a reality show, and off-topic here, but this is what I did this summer- some short road trip films in collaboration with Mercedes Benz, along with some photo work and writing for the Mercedes Benz magazine-http://www.fatluckys.com/?p=1125

19. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

You could have a shop at the North Pole and people would still seek you out for interiors.

Congratulations on the new shop! I have several things coming up for you to do, so don't get too busy! Hahaha.

20. Every big city has a garment district. LA has a huge one, full of sweatshops with hundreds of illegals busily sewing away, too afraid of La Migra to say much of anything. I guess I'd rather buy clothes made here than sending my money to the enemy and his child/convict labor force. Good to see someone move in and make an honest living, producing a quality product.

21. BubbaLuv

BubbaLuv
    from Denton, Tx

congrats sean. im looking forward to one day paying you to do my interior.
    b

22. good luck on the new building!!!

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Lucky, if I can afford it, maybe I can get in line for a leather redo of my truck bench seat with matching arm rests. I'm not quite ready in my build for it yet, but maybe I can tackle it earlier before I really can't afford your work if not already can't. Only trick is getting it down and back somehow. But, it is just 2 bench cushions and 2 small arm rests. PM me if interested.

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

congrats on the new sweatshop... hopefully you have some backlog of work to get you going.

wish you were closer, plan to redo the interior on my 51 after the first of the year..

25. farmer12

farmer12

congratulations on your new store!

26. fatluckys

fatluckys

Thanks guys. It's gonna be so nice to get out of my 500 square foot garage. I miss having space to work. The last couple years I've been really limited on what I can do... I barely have room for a car now, let alone any equipment. I can't wait to have some room to grow and go to town on some upholstery jobs again!

27. Brickster

Brickster

I hope you and JG don't stop what you've been doing. When I read or view your trips bringing those mercs back to LA it sounds like you guys have more fun than anybody I know. I also can't wait to see the creative things to come out of your new shop. Congrats.

Brick
    Cline street and Alta

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Congrats!

As for being underfunded for the start up;
    That looks like a pretty big shop. Though I'm sure you'll eventually use every square foot for your business and cars, consider subleting a portion/back of the shop to another tradesman (one year lease?) to help you make ends better meet while you things up to speed.

Obviously, to coexist with auto upholstery, it would have to be "clean" work or simply office space. Another option would be for indoor classic car storage.

29. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

congrats and welcome back.

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for checking in and letting us know your still around. Your fortunate in the fact you don't have to establish a reputation, just get settled and start producing.

Frank