Register now to get rid of these ads!

metal flake base help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottos, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ottos

ottos

ok there has to be some experience on this site on this...what im doing is painting my roof red metal flake .015 in size and i want it to really pop out..is see alot of people use black base for witch would be nice as my car is going black but is that the best color base to use?

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

NO! Don't use a black base! Use a silver, gold, or red base....

3. MikesIron

MikesIron
    from Union, OR

Some years back, I painted my wife's Harley Sportster in a gold metalflake -- really large flakes, and she wanted it to be anything but subtle. The paint system that I used was DuPont, and it called for a black base. Doesn't your paint supplier have a recommendation for that particular flake?

4. sumo

sumo

The black base will give the red flake a very dark appearance, and you will have to pile it on to cover the base. You would be better off using a red base close to the color of the flake, and a metalic base would be better so the flake can bounce the light off the base. I did the roof on my 59 belair in silver flake put down a silver base then cleared the hell out of it. When the sun hit it and you were in the reflection the temperature would rise tremendously not to mention blind you as well.
    Have you concidered using silver flake and red candy to top coat it?? it would make it it look really deep.

5. coppertone

coppertone

Sumo has the right suggestion I think.Use silver metallic base, silver flake then red candy. It will pop.

6. ottos

ottos

if i were to do the red candy of the silver flake it would be out of my league as Im a basic painter and know candy is a hard product to shoot correctly.

would the next best thing to do is use either gold base or metallic silver with a red flake?

7. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

I use chrome silver base under my red metel flake and it pops it is extra bright and sparkles in sunlight great. darker bases mean darker flake hues.

8. ottos

ottos

another debate is ....aggitator cup or flake buster for applying metal flake...im leaning towards the aggitator cup though...but steer me here...

btw ive tried to do alot of research on this but was unlucky...so good info is appreciated.

9. tommy v

tommy v

when i flake something i alway use the same color base as the flake

10. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

I use a devilbis mbc with large tip -nozzle but think flake buster a much better way to go. they weren't around when I started out. hell even seen a guy use a pepper shaker on smaller parts took forever to burry that in clear.lol if using a gun drop a couple marbles in to keep everything moving (flake suspended)

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I used a medium pearl red base and 3 different red flakes on my Caddy...and that sucker was hard to look at on sunny days!

12. ronk16

ronk16

if you want to just use the red flake as the eye candy part of the paint, then yes spray the flake over black with a clear base as the medium. Use a heavy body clear to cover it, flake will stand up. Buff the snot out of it. I think everyone else thinks you are doing a candy job and not just a heavy colored flake like a modern tri-coat.

13. ottos

ottos

yes. that is correct...will explain...going with a straight black paint job on my car and the roof i want metal flake red ...really looking for best results with out having to use candy...I want the car to still have a dark look but also dont want the flake to pop..

14. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

15. ottos

ottos

so if that is over black base id have to go with differnt...looks awsome but would like it more lighter red. anyone have a pic of it over a silver base?

16. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Marbles in the cup just a few 3 or 4 and make sure your vent does leak and is clean shake the cup some while you are flaking it. Try to keep the gun the same distance from the car and back up some from it while shooting the flake it will stand it up on edge it will look a little rough then clear it and color sand the rough of with out hitting the flake and repeat. Then red candy till you like it. Its harder to shoot candy make sure you have a wide fan and over lap it and cross the pattern and just remember the higer places will cover more practice on an old panel first maybe the fridge your wife wont get to upset !!

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I did mine in metalic green base with green flake on top, It really pops in the sun.
    I tried a Flakebuster and in my opinion they are crap, I just use a 2.0 suction feed gun.

[​IMG]

18. 72IH

72IH

I shot some candy red over red flake. The candy seemed make the flakes "pop" fade out. I stripped it and started over. Went with a silver metallic base then the red flake with clear. Then more clear again again again.......... Turned out not too bad for the first time I did flake.,