Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Trying to save them all.... old junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MACH4

MACH4
    from east iowa

Looks like a 55 plymouth two door in one of tjhe picts, I need the bench part of the rear seat

2. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Yes..silly me, I was running on about an hour's sleep that night...lol

3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Daughters are probably in their 60's and toothless. I doubt you'd be interested in pics.

4. Squatch

Squatch

Would love to just "stroll"...

5. raidmagic

raidmagic

6. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys so far i have requests from over 35 members. We havent made it to the cars yet. Still cleaning up piles of scrap metal. Lots of steel wheels, radiators, motors, and other misc items. Will post pics and keep ya updated as we go.

Be patient with me this is a long term project. I just sorted through all the requests and have flagged all the ones i think i have parts for. Will know more later.

Thanks
    matt

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

With a little selling on your part this could be a win win for your bosses and for car lovers. Why don't you approach the owners of your yard and suggest that you start removing, cataloging, and selling the good parts on places like the HAMB classifieds and Ebay? There is good money to be made on parts and you would be doing restorers and hot rodders a huge favor.

If I were in your shoes I would sell it this way: Let's take a couple of cars, strip them down, and see how it goes. Keep track of each sale on how much it cost to advertise and sell the parts and how much profit you made. If it is sucessful they might even put you on commission beyond your regular salary to give you some incentive to perform. It might sound dumb at first, but companies are always looking for ways to make more money and you have a goldmine in parts there, if you know how to sell them. I've paid a hundred bucks for a piece of chrome trim we needed and was happy to find it at any price.

It would take some work on your part, stripping them down, keeping an inventory, advertising, and then shipping, but once you did a few you would get the hang of it and get a system going. Just a suggestion.

Don

8. tankwilson

tankwilson

Thanks Don. Thats kinda what we are doing, myself and my boss are car guys and also runs a scrap/salvage yard.

Takes alot of time to do what you are saying and we all know time is $$$. That is why i am getting a list from you guys on the parts you need so that when i do remove a part i know its sold and it works out best for everyone.

I have found that finding scrap/antiques/car parts is easy, finding a buyer is hard.

We have alot of parts here in our current salvage yard that im sure someone needs. I have listed some stuff on ebay several times with no luck only to sell it on here or other places later. Finding that one guy/gal that needs that one part is a challenge.

I get several loads of scrap steel and other scrap daily and you would be suprise what i pull out and keep. You would be suprised what people throw away. We are getting ready to move our scrap to a new location all under roof. In one room i am gonna start selling some of the cool stuff that people throw away. You know the old saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure"

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks

9. takid455

takid455

sent you a PM a week or so ago. did you get it?

looking for parts for the following:
    39 buick centry
    56 olds 2 dr 88
    54-56 buick trim
    early 70's firebird

10. Great pics I love what you are doing wish I had room for some of those cars here!

11. Any chance of a '25-'26 Chevrolet? I'm looking for a usable engine block.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Look carefully through the piles of junk as there could be some useable parts in them and if any of the radiators are very old could be used as cores for someone who does not have one.

13. tankwilson

tankwilson

Keep checking back guys will keep you updated. So far we have hauled 3 loads of scrap steel and will be working at that for a bit. Probably will be next spring when we get to the cars.

Parts i have so far

49/50 ford dash shell
    early 50's buick chrome grill (cracked and pitted) good wall art
    42-48 ford car front axle/wishbones/ and spindles.
    front axle that looks like model T but has two springs

I will get these parts priced and listed in the classifieds soon.

Thanks
    matt

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Man get your chainsaws out , Hey matt thanks for helping my buddy tony out on he cad bumper he said to tell you it came out great from the chrome shop, Tim Jones

15. tankwilson

tankwilson

Great to hear. That makes that saturday worth while now. I don't mind saying that sucked.

Thanks
    matt

16. YoungAdmirer

YoungAdmirer

Also looking for late 40's Buick stuff, if come across. Mostly looking for cigerette lighter and maybe the radio working or not doesn't matter, Thanks

17. It's got a "three on the tree"!

18. hot rod rod

hot rod rod

This is Fuking Rediculious to Let these Beautiful Pieces go to the chrush ysrd !!!! Step Up Save these Beautiful Girls, Thank You...

19. Toner283

Toner283

Hey, I am in need of the stainless quarter panel trim spears from a 59 elcamino. The ones I need are elcamino (and maybe 2 dr brookwood wagon - not sure, I have never had the chance to measure any) only.

20. lolife

lolife

Good to see the steel finally being salvaged. I never understood the business plan of just leaving them to rot. You had to figure it was a side-line that just got out of control.

21. barnett127

barnett127

Keep me in mind for wall art....gonna need some for my basement bar.

22. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

looking for a 51-52 chevy belair/hardtop/no post wing window, either side, rust-no rust, glass not needed...

thanks matt!!

23. cdandelivery

cdandelivery

any 59 chevrolets hidden in there? or 59 viking trucks? Cdan

24. wagonwheel

wagonwheel

any early 50s gm wagons?

25. lolife

lolife

It would be like taking 80 year old ladies from the rest home and getting them to pole dance for tips.

Dust to Dust...

Any 50's fiberglass stuff out there?

26. countryjay

countryjay

im interested in 1959 brookwood wagon parts like the rear emblems if you have some let me know thanks jay

27. scrubba

scrubba

Tank, I forgot one item, I need an OILBATH Air cleaner for a Chandler- Groves 2bbl that has the indentation for trucks only. This would have come off of a 49-53 Ford truck ....... scrubba

28. 1957 Dodge truck? ...First generation Hemi motors and bits? Dodge 315 hemi heads and parts? Tell me more about the red 1957 Plymouth wedged between trees? I'm

Paul

29. No Plan

No Plan

Tank, do you have any 52-54 Ford front fenders that are good in front of the wheel wells below the head lights, & a front splash apron & bumper for the same 54 Ford. I need to extend a pair of Mercury fenders to use Ford front.... Any lower valance panels for a 59 El Camino frt, & rear?...What has Greg been doing?, I haven't seen him all winter. Are you getting some of the better stuff out of there?

30. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

I've put this on my favorite's list . I can't wait to see what gets pulled out . I'm looking for something , don't know what but when I see it I'll know it . I'll probably go broke the day before I see it , that will be my luck .