Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old but still a newbie

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 51 Henry J, Nov 22, 2011.

1. 51 Henry J

51 Henry J

Name is Bill Phillips and I am in the middle of nowhere Montana along with 5 other old guys who love building rods, restoring old iron (every coulee in Montana has something of interest to a rod nut), and go fast tin. We are at present building 3 rigs: a 1937 Chev business coupe into a street rod, restoring a 1940 Ford sedan for a grandkid, and for this coming year; a nostalgia 1951 Henry J gasser for the local (and first sanctioned NHRA drag strip in Montana) drag strip.
    In high school I started going to the local automotive machine shop after school, by the time I graduated I was a journeyman automotive machinist. I built engines for everything from tractors to funny cars. This was in the 60's and 70's. Started a family and chased higher income which took me away from rods, but I tried to keep a hand in. Started a welding shop on the side and got into metal fabrication, then worked part-time in the body shop side of metal work. But due to kids, schools, medical etc, never got the time or money to just build a rod for the sake of building a rod. Every barn find I found and fixed up ended up being sold just to pay the bills (I was not the only one in this pickle).

All these years later (retired) and kids all gone, I have found some guys who, like me, never got out of the mental state of rods and racing. I can now put my hands back into the past and have a blast doing it. It is good to be me, and it is good to be home.

2. boutlaw

boutlaw

Welcome home Bill, your story coinsides with many on the HAMB. I'm sure your experience will be honored and respected. Its great to have some buds that share your affliction!

Brad Outlaw

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Welcome from Minnesota!

4. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Welcome from Wisconsin!

5. Welcome Bill,now you gotta get a camera and show us that Henry J,, HRP

6. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Welcome to the Hamb from your neighboring state of Wyoming. Where in Montana are you located? I am also a Henry J owner and would like to see pics of yours. Lots to see and learn here on the Hamb. enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Welcome back, Bill. This is a great place to keep in touch.

8. red grees

red grees
    from bridger mt

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from south central montana check out the montana H.A.M.B. Good people,RED

9. Hello and welcome aboard from central Iowa!

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from INDY. Your not old, just "vintage";)

11. Welcome from CT! I remember my Grandfather driving from Santa Monica CA. to CT and back in a Henry J back in the late 50's

12. rockguy92

rockguy92

Great story. Welcome from Ohio.

The Rock

13. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

14. spikez57

spikez57

Nice intro... Welcome from N.E~~~o-HI-o