Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>The Starlite Coupe: 1964 Buffalo Autorama Winner<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Nov 23, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Move over EVEL and MFS, We've got Wayne now!!! Last night I was watching Chasing Classic Cars on Velocity and Wayne was pulling a Coupe that hasn't ran since 1964 out of a garage. The coupe was a 1931 Ford Model A coupe called "The Starlite Coupe". The car was built by Bill and Don Leslie of Buffalo, New York and was finished for the 1964 Buffalo Autorama. If you know me, you know I'm from Buffalo and the Clutch Artist's Autorama's played a big part in meing being so obsessed with hot rods. So I want to see if we can post any more pics of this car that haven't been seen before and show people a car from my hometown long long before I was born.

Here's what the site finecars.com has to report on the car....

--Buick Starlite Blue Met. With White interior and Blue carpeting, 303 CID Oldsmobile V-8 Engine, 3-Speed 1937 Buick Transmission, Three Downdraft Carburetors, 135 BHP (Rated) at 3,600 RPM, 4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes.

Built in 1964 by Bill and Don Leslie of Buffalo, New York, this 1931 Ford Model A Coupe was constructed specifically to compete on the show car circuit. They purchased the coupe from local drag racer Greg Gillis, who had campaigned the car at the Niagara Dragway until 1963. By the time of purchase, the car was already chopped four inches with the present drivetrain installed.

Extensive modifications were required to transform the coupe into a period show vehicle. The frame was boxed and smoothed and the body channeled, the brake lines and wiring harness were hidden in the frame and the door handles and trunk handles were shaved and hidden releases installed. The most distinguishing feature of the car is its custom-built steel “nose” with floating chrome grille tubes. A chrome nerf bar is sculpted into the rear and a handmade taillight lens, illuminated by a dozen interior bulbs, runs the full width of the car.

The fabulous interior is comprised of white button-tufted Naugahyde with handsome custom bucket seats with a radio speaker mounted between them. The steering wheel and its chromed column are from a 1960s-era T-Bird, the 1933 Ford dash has custom-made chrome panels with period Stewart-Warner gauges as well as Town and Country push button radio with frenched-in electric antennas.

Painted in 1957 Buick Starlite Blue metallic, this striking hot rod also has a custom- fabricated tinted glass roof insert, allowing occupants to easily view the night sky – hence the car’s show name “Starlite Coupe.”

The “Starlite Coupe” won Best of Show at the Buffalo Autorama in 1964, and then won 2nd place at the 1964 Rochester Auto Review. In the 1980s, Bill Leslie moved to San Diego, taking the Ford Coupe with him, but kept it covered and stored away for another 20 years.

Two brothers, Mike and David Kottke, lived in Leslie’s La Jolla neighborhood. Growing up, they would walk past the Leslie home and see the old show Ford Coupe in the garage. After many years, the teenagers convinced Bill to part with his prized possession and yet again the car was moved into storage.

The “Starlite Coupe” comes original Autorama photographs, flyers, judging forms, vintage build photos, parts receipts, as well as a handwritten spiral-bound journal with all of the specifications for this wonderful hot rod. Everything was saved, including a period drawing of the interior and the Coupe’s Buffalo Autorama trophy complete center clock.

Untouched throughout 45 Years of Storage, it is presented “as is, as found.” For the enthusiast seeking history, power and a virtually untouched “real” vintage hot rod, the “Starlite Coupe” provides an incredible opportunity to return to the show circuit in its current preserved condition a spectacular show car indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So any more original pics of this thing? Any memories?

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anybody know what seats those are? Cal Custom Fiberglass buckets covered in upholstery?

4. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Id say thats exactly what they are

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Love the car,.... hate the grill shell,... But !,.. It WAS the 60's :D

6. swissmike

swissmike

I think I heard the grill scream :"touch me..."

Fascinating story and it's great to see a true time capsule. Personally I would be torn between keeping the car totally original or replacing the grill for something easier on the eyes. Maybe a quick change grill shell so it could be put back in it's original show condition?
    Does anybody think this is a good looking grill?

7. I think they were trying to emulate the Lil deuce coupe grille shell and it is hard to emulate the Alexander Bros.
    Great find.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's like the Dick Roy Coupe. You have to love it so much that you're willing to leave it ugly. That Grille SHell doesn't bother me only because I know it's the real deal. Would I build one like that? Probably not, but because this car is exactly how it was I would drive the shit out of that car and love every minute of it!

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I would have thought that car could have sold for more .. wrong place to sell it?

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool, those are a nice looking seat.

yeah me too but again the Dick Roy Coupe is a 32 and it's been on the HAMB for like 2 years trying to sell. I think it's in the 30's now. Now sure there....east coast cars get no love. Haha!!!

11. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

I missed the show last night, but my buddy Gerry owned that car for awhile and figured out all it's history. He can add a ton of info if he posts on this thread. The car was found in San Diego and shared garage space with a time capsule custom. They were both still owned by the original builder.

I saw the car on Ebay when it was found. The pics were crappy and it didn't sell. Later I found out Gerry got it and it was back on the East Coast. Neat car. Neat story.

-Aaron

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You've always seem to have friends in high places Aaron! I need to start hanging in your circles haha!!!

Can I also say how big a fan I am of those headlight mounts and headlights in general? Seems like those are a seldom used part that was popular in the day. I guess everyone now a days wants them lower and I love that look too but those things sitting up high like antennas are rad. I have a set for my '32 when the time comes.

13. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I'm from Buffalo too and I went to a lot of Clutch Artist shows in the 70's & 80's but don't remember ever seeing that car.

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

It was on Ebay last week...

Heres a pic from Flatpowers thread of the Right Coast Rods at the Saratoga Springs Museum, Ive seen some other older b&w's of it somehwere that I cant find now...

[​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

God I'm glad you don't own the car!!! All those things that you'd change are earmarks for the period and while they might not be cohesive from a design standpoint now a days they certainly should be kept and preserved ON the car. I wouldn't care if the grille and rear pan was twice as ugly all would be remedied when I looked back at the original pics and seen that the car was intact and preserved. I find that stuff cool and inspiring even though I wouldn't perhaps build a car like that today.

I'd hate to think that all that history would be shit on by taking it apart and adding your own spin on things. I mean this is a true example of a hot rod built by your average dudes on the East Coast.

You just keep building that Vicky with a nasty Hemi in it and leave these cars to people like 31Whitey. :D:D

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah it was shown last in 1964 and then only recently brought out.

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It seems to be haven a hard time finding a home

18. Church

Church
    from South Bay

It's been on ebay a few times too. Time to move out your 34 and move into the Starlite, Jeffrey.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hmmmm, Think so Coby? I wonder if he'll take an unopened copy of the the movie Roadhouse with commentary by Kevin Smith in trade? That's about all I got to liquidate. :D

Truth is, I would love to have that car. If I had the cash right now I'd scoop it up and preserve the SOB forever! It's got a special place in my heart with it being from Buffalo ya know?

20. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Cool coupe... uncool grille... hard to say what I'd do about that if I owned the car. I do respect it's history but if it were mine I would likely change it and keep the old one to be easily swapped back on. I just couldn't be seen driving something that ugly no matter how "correct" it is...:D

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how much did it sell for? sounds like it has already been through a few hands since the OG owner sold it.

as for the grille... people will be saying the same thing 45 years from now when someone uncovers a cool car with a tractor grille. grille was probably thought of as ugly by the majority even back in the 60's.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's easy for you to say since you love on the West coast and the stuff they built is still considered timeless. The east coast had some ugly cars but they need love too! Haha!!

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I think it was 30 g's even .... on the TV show

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I get ya and I think I'm in the minority on this one with keeping is exactly like it is. I don't blame ya, it is kinda ugly but I would just love it too much to change it.

Does anyone have images from the Buffalo Autorama's circa '64?

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That is one sweet coupe!

iPhone - TJJ App

26. Did they say what Wayne picked it up for? I'm surprised he soldnit at one of those stuffy auctions and not at a real hot rod kind of auction. Not too many hot rod guys in a room full of porsche, dussenberg, and packard collectors.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wayne said he picked it up for $25K and then after getting it running and such as well as the transport they were breaking even on the deal.

28. No way to really tell from the pics. JC Whitney sold galss buckets like that as well as other vendors. The Whitney buckets were reasonably priced and popular back then as well as glass seats for speed boats that resembled them as well.

Pretty nice looking car for one that just woke from a long nap.

29. drfreeze

drfreeze

30. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Wane and his partner were acting like they kinda broke even
    As for the action choice
    I think them actions are all the greedy little man knows:rolleyes: ;) :D