Register now to get rid of these ads!

torque wrenches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironpile, Oct 16, 2011.

1. skwurl

skwurl

I have a 3/8 digital snap on torque wrench. It is worth the money. Sometimes you can find a deal. I paid a hundred bucks for mine. A guy stopped by yesterday and had one for two hundred. Eastwood just came out with some that are very affordable too. Don't know about the quality

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Danog

Danog

Bingo! x2

3. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My Dad always said when I asked him how tight ?

"Torque it till it snaps then back off a quarter turn "?

4. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

You might want to double check that. I bought a Craftsman 1/2 click type wrench, It was abot 1 1/2 years old when it spit the guts out of the ratchet head. Now I must admit that I was using it to break some head bolts lose apparently they dont like it when the bolts snap free. Took it back to OSH they said that the torque wrenches only have a 1 year warrenty and I would need my receipt. I ended up buying another one now the adjustment handle is falling apart on that one, cant trust it so what good is it.

5. Lot of good advice here. My only thought on this is that you have to have absolute confidence in the torque wrench you choose, regardless of type. Most of the major Tool Truck have a testing/calibration program. (not certain of the cost, but it is probably worth the money). Having worked in/around the military for quite a while, most torque wrenches are special calibrated for clockwise use only. With the exception being if need to know breaking torque. The whole purpose of calibration is to test it for function as well as accuracy.

Personally I have an old dial type torque wrench that I use for tightening only. Yes, I have had it checked recently. I never loan it out!

6. When my son and I ran our TAFC I had a snapon clicker. My son baught a new Snapon Dildo wrench It vibrates and gives a readout to what you torqued the bolt.
    I wish I had my clicker back. Btw i had my clicker calibrated and it was spot on after 15 years.