Register now to get rid of these ads!

Could a 53/54 chevy owner help me with a favor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leebo!, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Would one of you "rockstars" mind measuring from center of your rear axle shaft to the center of the grease cup on your front end? Just got my HT home, and threw a front fender on it, and it looks like the front wheel sits a bit to far forward. Maybe its just me though.

It had been subframed (and looks study)but i just want to double check this measurement first.

Thanks Fellas!

2. cruiser51

cruiser51

i can take some mesurements tomorow for you.

3. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

That was quick,

Thanks, and Thanks!

4. mj40's

mj40's

Chevy used a 112" wheel base from around 1937 thru 1954 and the same thru 62 in the Corvette.

5. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

ummm, I would swear someone popped up and said it had a 115 inch wheel base
    ????

6. Kustom Kid 53

Kustom Kid 53

Wheelbase should be 115"

7. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

yup; its supposed to be 115" inches...........................k

8. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

49-57 Chevrolet's all had 115" wheelbases, except the Corvettes.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

The front wheel to wheel well on a stock 53-54 is somewhat out of line. i've been told that guys that subframe them move things to get things centered.

10. ...if your car has no engine weight, it mite move the wheel back a bit with engine weight?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is done on pickups quite often but I didn't think it was done on cars that originally had independent.
    I had to jack this one off the net for an example but it looks like the wheels are pretty well centered.
    [​IMG]

12. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

i now this sounds dumb but make damn sure your front wheels are straight, the least little turn right or left will change that number.
    Measure both side and average, the toe setting might throw you off a bit.

first pic is bone stock
    second pic is Mustang ii and s-10 springs and axle
    MrC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  13. I'm assuming your request is to measure to the wheel bearing dust cover center ? If so this is not a good measurement point to check from. It moves fore and aft and is also affected by the toe setting . The better reference measurement point is the center of the grease zurk on the lower ball joint with the suspension loaded. The measurements should also be checked on a diagonal and should be within 1/4" with side lengths being within and 1/8" of each other. Its preferred the curb side is the stronger length. this should tell you if the subframe is aligned correctly in relationship to the chassis and rear axle . How the tire fits in the fender well should have been figured out before the frame section was grafted in.

14. atomickustom

atomickustom

Stock wheelbase in 115"
    My '53 has front wheels that sit a bit too far forward in the front fenders, too. It was that way with the 100% original suspension and only 42,000 miles on it, no wrecks ever, 100% original car when I bought it.