Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to clean up old chrome (dull and rust)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Oct 13, 2009.

1. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Speaking of bicycles, I was checking out a thread on 'Rat Rod Bikes' and they speak highly of oxilic (sp?) acid or wood bleach (I don't remember the brand name).
    I haven't been able to find the stuff anywhere (HD or Lowes doesn't carry it), but I'm anxious to try it.
    Apparently it comes in a crystal form that you add to water, dip your chrome parts for a couple of hours and the acid 'eats' the rust and leaves the chrome. They all say it beats the heck out of polishing with 0000 steel wool.

Of course, were talking bike parts, not car parts but chrome is chrome and I could see it working on smaller parts. Somebody give it a try! :D
    I'll post results if I ever find any.

2. Squablow

Squablow

Someone on here did a tech on wood bleach to clean chrome and it worked great, he used a center cap as an example. I want to try it myself, on a grille with lots of little recessed areas I think it'd be perfect.

3. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

4. For manual aplications; marine supply stores carry bronze wool, that and some heavy duty rubbing compound will clean all but the worst spots, and in that case switch to steel wool.

5. camaro69man

camaro69man
    from Barberton

steel wool and gojo it works great on all of it...put some gojo on ur steel wool it works awesome

6. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I did a search and found this thread...would you guys recommend the Wizards polish for my hubcaps? They are a bit dull but not too rusty and I wanted to revive them....
    No dents, no dings, just need a good polishing... I figured I could do it at home rather than send em out

7. trying to clean these bumpers on my '55 Buick, I just bought the car and they look awful..if I could clean them up at all I'll be happy, I tried Coca-Cola and Aluminum Foil, always heard it works but it didn't do shit except leave little scratches..so today I picked up some Nevr-Dull from Walmart and I think I'll try that and an SOS Pad and see what happens..if not I'll switch to Bronze Wool

Attached Files:

8. big bad john

big bad john

......Dustin....try some gojo ...apply with soft brush.....your bumpers are in tough shape....good luck

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

0000 aka 4 ought---spray with wd40 and then use the 0000--then use a good polish; Mothers or the like. Neverdull works well too. This is not a cure for pitting, tho--Marty

10. 76cam

76cam

0000 steel wool and green magic rub hard,wipe off with paper towel and buff with microfiber. Works every time.

11. The best and cheapest way to handle old rusted chrome is with ketchup and aluminum foil has worked miracles for me. I smear ketchup all over the part and wrap it in aluminum foil and let sit over night . Then take the aluminum foil and start scrubbing it will turn blackish. Then rinse with water and polish you will be happy you tried it. (use Hienz ) Pete.

12. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I just picked up 5lbs of oxalic acid off egay for $20. mixed up about 8-9 tablespoons and 4 gallons in a bucket and threw a bunch of rusty stuff in there. It works great! light surface rust comes off in minutes, the heavier stuff I've got soaking for about 2 days.

13. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

I have been enlisted to clean a lot of chrome and other surfaces in my life and have no use for steel wool (except to fill mouse holes!).
    Use Simichrome and lots and lots of elbow grease. Follow the directions , let it haze up then polish until your arm almost falls off , reapply ,repeat until it is as good as it will get.

Congrats on the great price on those.

14. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

i use the sos pads with the blue soap in it... works great , just dont push down too hard

15. xracer40

xracer40

Don't forget the small print.

Actual results may take up to 36 weeks.

16. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

I need a pair of those tail lights....:rolleyes:

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Yep foose's balls are awesome.....

I got one and have been abusing it polishing the front end of the Coupe. Works great and so far has proven rather indestructable. Well worth the $!

18. loco

loco
    from Fresno, CA

I tryed this today and it really works.

I have some old rusty chrome rims with baby moons and just by looking at them I thought these rims are to far gone. I was shocked.
    It's too late to take pictures. I still have two more rims to clean up, so I'll take before and after pics tomorrow.

I just poured some Pepsi on the rims and folded up the foil like it was a wash cloth and just rubbed like crazy.

-loco

19. loco

loco
    from Fresno, CA

I wasn't looking for this to take everything off cause some of it is just to far gone. The truck has been sitting for 20 - 25 years. I just wanted them to look decent.

Before
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-loco

20. Gromit

Gromit

yes 0000 steel wool will ruin the chrome. however.. if the chrome has rust and pitting...IT"S ALREADY RUINED!!!!!

Never had issue with steel wool (ultra fine) along with either window cleaner or polish. Go nuts man.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I quit using steel wool or SOS it will scratch the chrome if you look close. Now I use copper scrubbing pads ($1 buck at the dollar store) and Pledge furniture polish. Wipe clean and follow up with Simichrome Flitz or your favorite chrome polish. Then wax with car wax to keep it from rusting again, for a while. Repolish and wax as necessary.

22. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

the more o's the better in my book. it sound cheezy, but the coca cola deal with steel wool works.

23. Renegade Rodder

Renegade Rodder

my initial go-to is cutting/buffing compound and a rag.

24. toothpaste and a damp rag.

25. 1952henry

1952henry

Collinite Boat Wax for non ferrous metal. Removes rust, and puts an unreal shine on things.

26. morac41

morac41

Hi ... Nobody from a chrome shop has said anything as they want you to screw up your chrome useing steel wool...It cuts through the chrome which you cant see as its a clear acid coating over the nickle.. thats why you can see very fine scratches ...as its scratching the nickle plating once this happens you need to keep a good coating of polish on or it will start to rust..should only ever use a recomended chrome cleaner and polish and lots of elbow grease.....Doug

27. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Gibbs Brand Lubricant. It will not only clean off the rust, but it will help stop it getting any worse. Many other uses too!

28. billy zz

billy zz

i am a window washer and use 0000 wool on all types of glass daily.
    and i have used it on my expensive nickle plated revolvers with zero issues.
    but if you dont want to use it .
    buy some 0000 bronze wool.you can get it at window cleaning supply stores.

29. billy zz

billy zz

many of those cheap pads are merely copper coated steel.
    read that label!

30. MAXWELL

MAXWELL

0000 and w d 80 (2 shots of wd 40)