Register now to get rid of these ads!

New idea for under dash lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt slinger, Nov 21, 2011.

1. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I was working today at a house putting stairway lights in and a good idea hit me. The old ordinary 12v bulbs under the dash in a hot rod or old car usually arent very bright unless they are nearly on the floor where they are seen. These lights are perfect to hide under the dash and put out an amazing amount of light. They are l.e.d. , I know they arent traditional but they are easy to hide. Nobody will know they are there. They are sold by the foot ($11) but can be cut into 2 inch increments so you can make them as bright or dim as you want. They are a flat ribbon with self adhesive backing that really sticks. The plug ($6 each) is fairly small also. I included the pencil in the pictures to give an idea of the size. These lights can be found at most specialty lighting stores not at Lowes or Home Depot. If anyone does use the be sure to keep your positve and negative made up properly cause they are polarity sensitive. What do yall think?

Attached Files:

• lts.jpg
      lts.jpg
      File size:
      485.1 KB
      Views:
    • lts 2.jpg
      lts 2.jpg
      File size:
      477.8 KB
      Views:
    • lts3.jpg
      lts3.jpg
      File size:
      490.9 KB
      Views:
    • lts4.jpg
      lts4.jpg
      File size:
      490.9 KB
      Views:
  2. BigChief

BigChief

Lots of uses for these. Thanks!

3. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

So how does it work in the house? Low voltage transformer? Is 12 volts the correct rating for these? Sorry I'm not all that smart...

4. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

They sell these kits on E-bay in different colors 12 volt on the cheap. Soft glow that lights up the inside of your vehicle or just wire it to a door jamb switch. Cool.

Attached Files:

5. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

These lights are powered by a 120v-12v transformer in a house. Thats what costs so much in that deal. Of coarse its not needed in a car. I didnt know these were sold on ebay. I never really thought about using them till I was installing them today. Guess Im just behind the times.

6. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I just bought three rolls of these LEDs to use as under cabinet lighting in my kitchen. They are super bright but they can also be used with a dimmer. You can buy them from the source in Hong Kong or pay 2 -3 times as much and buy them here...lots of ads on ebay for them. Now they even come with RGB connections so you can control the color of the light. The ones I bought are waterproof and bend very easily and have a 3M adhesive tape backing. Worth looking into...

7. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Ill check that out. Yes I did forget to add that they are dimable. they would work the same way with an interior light switch with the dimmer on it.

8. Great idea... I may have to look into something like this.

9. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Do they have a brand name or type listed under?

10. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

The particular ones in the photo do not have a brand name on them. I tried to find the name but found it no where on the light strip or pigtail. I bought them at Richards Lighting in Huntsville, Al. I will call tomorrow and get the brand name and catalog number. These are a pretty high quality. Can anyone give feed back about the quality of the led's on ebay?

11. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

nice lots of uses for these in a car or truck. under dash ,hood,trunk domelamp also under body on slammer queens. very cool

12. Don't forget mood lights in your custom van, either.

13. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Here's the ones I bought... 380289320183

14. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

They lit up my die cast display case very nice....never thought to put them in my car. Great idea!!