Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Pittsburgh, Pa

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by BenM, Nov 7, 2011.

1. BenM

BenM
    from Pittsburgh

Hello, I'm Ben

My wife and I met in College and moved out here to Pittsburgh a few years ago, and I'm just getting to really know the area now.

I got the bug for cars from my Father, and I remember some of the vehicles we had when I was little, including an old military Ambulance.

My first car was a 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S with a 350 and ST-300 that belonged to one of my Great Grandmothers. I started teaching myself on that car. After a brief stint with a new Subaru that my to be wife one spring took out of commission, the Pontiac was back on the road and joined by an 87 Eagle sedan I found for $800.

A friend growing up had always had an Eagle and I had some good memories, and it was too good to pass up. That car really pushed me at the beginning, but there is nothing that will go up and down hills here in Pittsburgh like that car. It also got me into a love of AMCs.

Shortly after that we put the Pontiac back in the garage and got my wife a diesel Jetta to commute, and we were good for a few years until the Eagle transmission died again this spring and I talked the wife into an $800 almost rust-free AMC Pacer. She helped me get it ready, and three times as much work as it needed to have and twice as much money I drive it to work every day.

In the meantime we had rescued the 1940 Mercury from an old garage that another Great-Grandmother had bought new, and the rebuilt flathead V-8 my father had rebuilt before he passed away. Since we rent, they rest in my Mother's garage next to her car.

Over the years my wife has picked up some interest, and wants me to put a custom CJ/Wrangler together for her when we get the chance. I want a CJ 3B myself for my next project. But I've also got to start working on getting the cars out of Mom's garage soon, and keep mine on the rod. (Well, and a garage with a house attached to work on them.)

The 40 Merc is a pretty standard sedan, it needs assembled and some interior work, but I wouldn't mind a few tweaks just to make it a more enjoyable drive.

The 68 Tempest needs a lot of work, it took out a guardrail once. I'd love to get a 455 and a 3 speed auto in it, or a 4 speed OD, but the 2.7? gears would have to go. The 4-weel drums need to go too.

The 76 Pacer is the current driver-project. It's a 3-on-the-tree with electronic overdrive, no A/C, manual drums, and power steering. It didn't need much but some wiring, a quick paint job, and I pulled the old 1bbl and botched AIR removal off and put an 80s aluminum intake and 2 bbl. I pulled the old flyswatter out and put dual electric fans in too.
    It gets me to work everyday and goes pretty quick. Once I get the bugs worked out I hope that the 14 mpg I'm getting is closer to 18. It'll get more fun parts as I get the money.

The Eagle needs an engine now that the transmission was swapped, but I'd really rather have a wagon (or a Kammback :D ), you just can't fit enough stuff in the back of a sedan to travel anywhere. It has a large number of small and growing problems, but it'll make it through the winter at least.

So that's where my cars are. I only wish I had a good garage in my back yard and some more practice with metal.

I ended up browsing here when I kept finding it in searches for the old Merc and the Pacer. Plus I love the old automatics and it seems on one else seems to know that any of them exist. People kept telling me the ST-300 was a Powerglide.

2. TRod

TRod

Welcome... from just outside of Pittsburgh.

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Welcome aboard from Slaton, Texas...

4. Welcome aboard, Ben. Great intro!!

5. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

Glad to have you in the burg Ben....I live in Bethel Park (a burb in the burg) I'll try to keep you updated on happenings around the area....I vend at alot of swap meets, know alot of Hamber's, even have a buddy with a Pacer Wagon!!

6. xmb63

xmb63
    from pittsburgh

Welcome, I'm from Pittsburgh too

7. theczking

theczking

Welcome. do you know Pittsburg Joe? he has the most period correct 32 3w i've ever seen

8. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Welcome. I grew up in O'Hara township but I'm living in Seattle now.

9. 2loud2old

2loud2old

Welcome from Speers! In the spring come out rt. 88 to Mineral Beach Fridays we get a lot of cool cars there.

10. Ben,

Welcome to the 'Burgh!

Keep an eye out for the World of Wheels coming up in Jan. at the convention center. The downstairs gets some nice hotrods.
    check out www.carcruises.com to keep up with shows all year long.
    See ya 'round..........

11. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Welcome from Irwin Pa........

12. 36C8

36C8

Welcome to Pittsburgh!!

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hello Ben,
    Welcome from western Maryland.
    Lived in the 'burgh while attending AIP.
    Welcome to the HAMB,you'll like it here.

14. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

15. spikez57

spikez57

Nice intro welcome ...