Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Finally picked up another project. 1966 Ford F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I thought this would fit here since the body style is the same from 1961 through 1966. I want to eventually go custom with it ending with something resembling the Hale's Speed Shop '65 F100.

The truck came with a 300 inline 6, automatic, and it's a long bed Styleside.

Anyone know of the front clip options available? Since it's a full fendered truck, I want to get rid of the twin I beams and go for IFS up front and gain the disc brakes and power steering capabilities. I'll post pics of how she sits a little later. Oh, did I mention I only paid $950 for her running and everything works? She also has just under 49K on the odometer, original mileage too boot and I'm the third owner.

2. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

My inspiration..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. Sounds like you scored a good clean starting point. Can't wait to see the progress.

Good luck!

4. I love my 66 Long Bed. I have dropped I beams and a flipped eaer axle palns are for a mild kustom. Right now its got 2" whitewalls and 56 Buick Caps. Any pics of the Hales truck?

5. derbydad276

derbydad276

crown vic swap is cheap (less) than 500 you grt rack and pinion steering and big disc brakes and about a 5 inch drop from stock
    down side not many (traditional) wheel choices yet
    there is also a real cool kit to put a tbird/cougar/mark8 ind rear also

6. Not many traditional wheel choices? Crown vic's are 5x4.5, so wheel choices are fine. If you get a late model unit, it's aluminum and actually bolts in. I've seen the swap done on ford trucks forum somewhere. I'd say go that route

7. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

The video I posted is of the Hale's truck.

8. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Any idea what year Crown Vic's work?

9. FOMOCOPOWER put a late model Crown Vic front end under his Uni-body and it turned out real nice. I know he had a bit of an issue with the wheels at first but he has it all straightened out now. Send him a PM , im sure he can fill you in on everything you need to know, he is a real good guy. Mitch.

10. The Crown Vic front end looks like it should be fairly easy, I'm getting ready to start this on my 65 F100!

What you want is 2003 or newer. There's lots of old cop cars around to use for parts.

Good luck.

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That thing is sweet!

12. Camaro clip is a great fit too and rebuild kits and performance upgrades are cheap. The C/V is a great choice for sure. Get on the board for these trucks...
    www.slick60s.org
    Great resource and good guys
    Congrats on scoring a low mile cool ride!

-Shiny

13. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Here it is when the guy I bought it from had it on eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...m=200673130772&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#v4-42

Here's the info on the truck:
    1966 Ford F100 long bed. Two wheel drive, twin I beam , 300 cubic inch straight 6, cruis-o-matic three speed auto, 8" rear end, 8 foot bed (129 inch Wheel base). This was a California built truck made at the San Jose plant in October of 1965, and sold to the Los Angeles District Sales Office.

14. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Thanks fo0r the link, I signed up and some people have been helping out. So, from what I gather, I'm looking for a 2003-2008 P71 Crown Vic, and I guess the reason why is the system is a bolt on swap with minimal modification that provides a 6" drop from stock out of the gate. Someone else recommended finding the civilian model Crown Vic due to the 13" brake system as opposed to the bigger P71 system(Which makes it more difficult to find traditional style wheels that will fit due to the oversized rotor and caliper). Well, I'm going to get it road legal and then drive it while finishing my bike and saving up parts for the swap. Once my bike is done, then I'll move to modifying the truck.

15. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Slow but steady. Doing what I can when I can, so for now I'm replacing door locks, ignition, tires and passenger vent window.