Register now to get rid of these ads!

Before and after...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Nov 21, 2011.

1. daddio211

daddio211

A.Y. Owen took this picture circa 1958. That would make my dad about 16 at the time, and although he wasn't in this shot he just as well could have been.
    [​IMG]

So 53 years later we have a bunch of friends together and the opportunity just presented itself. Couldn't resist sharing!
    [​IMG]

Eighteen guys from our hot rod club got together yesterday to help get my dad's '55 back on the road. We worked from 9:30 in the morning until 10:00 last night. I fired the car up this evening and drove it back in the garage.

My dad has only a few weeks left (he's the on in the wheelchair) but I haven't seen him this happy or feel this good in MONTHS.

2. WCRiot

WCRiot

Whats the truck in the background?

Cool pic

3. daddio211

daddio211

It's my buddy's '45 Ford 1/2 ton. Flathead powered and bitchin!

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

So did you at least get to go for a cruise????

????

?

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Glad that you got the car running for him ! Thats cool!

6. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

Very Nice Touch.!!!!!

7. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Now thats some history! Thanks for posting.Take dad for a cruse.

9. That's Kool that the car club did that for you father, Sorry for your father's health, are you going to be able to take him for a ride in it?

10. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I is great that friends(true friends) take time to make someones life a little better, prayers for you dad and family.

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Taking a ride in the car would be nice, but the time spent with his son is what he will remember.

MrC.

12. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the thoughts guys. No, he hasn't been able to go for a ride yet. Still have some issues to work out, hope to this week, then we can go for a cruise.

He's sick enough that going in the car for more than 10 minutes he gets ill. Still, he really enjoyed the time in the garage and looks forward to going for a ride.

My dad's biggest desire to have the car done is so that we can sell it, and all the guys in the club understood that's why they were helping. He knows a completed driving car is worth more than a partially disassembled project. Getting the car done means one less thing to worry about before he passes.

The car will be up for sale soon, and we'll sell his '32 roadster after he passes. I'm sadly inheriting his '50 Ford and '30 Sport Coupe projects. :(

Here's the '55:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the guys working on the power steering, carb, master cylinder, distributor, radiator... we did LOTS!
    [​IMG]

My dad last night, sitting next to the '55 last night while it was running. That's the look of a happy man, fellas!
    [​IMG]

13. nix

nix
    from Italy

Cool pics! Great Story....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  14. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

Sorry to hear about your pops. Looks and sounds like he is living well to have friends like that. Bless y"all, friends and family.

15. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

This thread is way cool! Brightened my day!

16. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

What a wonderful thing for you (and your friends) to do for your Father.....
    May God Bless him, both now and forever.
    Bob

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Love that hood prop !:D
    [​IMG]

18. our club (the Tin Butchers) was on a cruz a few years ago, and we kinda duplicated that orig. pic...
    using my 48 Chevy Aerosedan as the prop; they all commented on the oily six cylinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. pitman

pitman

Heh, and not a plumber among them! :p

20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Hey, four foot levels make great hood props!

21. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks nix. It was a GREAT weekend!

He's the greatest man I've ever known. I hope to get as much time out of this as I can, without him suffering!

And that comment just brightened mine, thanks!

Bob, you'd do the same wouldn't you? That's what us hot rodders do, right?

After one of the three Dave's smashed his head on the corner we figured we better get a little more "access". It fit perfect! Note the tape on the hood corners to prevent further blood loss. :)

That's awesome! Love it!

Thank goodness! :)

Damn straight... pun intended. :D

22. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

My Dad is in his mid 80's now and not doing the best. He was never really into hot rods, but I was able to wheel him up to my 55 and we took off down the road. Never really thought I had his approval for being a rodder, but you should have seen the smiles as we were out kicking it. Then I started getting the questions like, you built this? What will it do?

Really would have liked to share many more days like that with him before now, but that day made up for a lot of it.

Surely hope you get to enjoy more rides together too..........

Thank you so much for sharing something so special!

23. 56 Frame Dragger

56 Frame Dragger

GREAT story I wish you the best. That is why you need to enjoy each day like it's your last because you just never know.... May God Bless You And Your Family With Nothing But Love And Happiness

24. Thanks for sharing your story. These are memories to last you a lifetime. I never got to take my dad for that ride in our roadster. He was a P-38 pilot in WWII and I know he would have liked it.

25. hah!,...good one, took me a minute to get that!

26. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1489754&d=1321930390

God Bless... glad to see your Dad smiling in the car... I took my Mom out for a ride in the Roadster and she loved it... and she asked the same questions!!!:D

The day she took the ride I told her that the car was the same age as her... 77 years old at the time.

She passed away several months later but i still smile every time I see the photo of her in that Roadster!:cool:

Attached Files:

27. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Bittersweet but cool none the less...

Keep your head up my friend.

28. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

"Car people" are some of the BEST people in the world and you just showed us another example why that statement is true. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

29. daddio211

daddio211

Its amazing how things like this can bring people together, you and your dad shared a connection you never knew you had! I was fortunate enough to have my dad see eye to eye with me most of my life, even when I'm an idiot he never looked down unless he was reaching to help me up. Cherish your dad my friend, spend every possible moment you can with him! You'll never regret it if you do, but if you don't...

Thanks man! :)

I'd love to hear more about your dad. We have far too few written accounts of our WWII heros! I'll bet your dad has ridden in your roadster more than you know.

I remember when you posted that story a few years back. I read it with great interest. Cool story then, and now. We all have such a passion for the cars but the PEOPLE is what brings it all together, isn't it?

Thanks brother! :eek:

I did what every one of you would do in my situation. I'll be the first to admit that I'm blessed with a WONDERFUL family and INCREDIBLE friends! Thanks for your prayers. :)

30. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

great story
    i hope im not out of line to say fuck cancer !