Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cheap coil overs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marman1950, Nov 21, 2011.

1. marman1950

marman1950

I put in a four link in the back of my 51 f1 and I need to buy some coil overs but don't want to spend 300+ for a new set.... Anybody know of OEM coil overs that will work on a 51 truck. Something I can get from a junk yard would be great. I heard certain jaguars would work but I don't know for sure... Thanks.

2. dubcee

dubcee

go to orileys auto parts and ask to see the moog coil over book, lots to choose from, length, spring rate, ect. About $100 for a new pair.

3. drw47

drw47

I just put a new set of overload coil over shocks on my 29 Whippet. Bought them off Ebay for $70.00 + shipping.

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

5. marman1950

marman1950

Thanks for the info... Good to hear I don't need to spend 300 for the coil overs. Besides height and travel distance, what else do I need to know to buy the right pair. I'm not positive how much the weight is at the back of the truck so I don't know what kind of spring will work best. I know the angle of the coil overs will effect what ones I buy ad well.

6. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

get the code for top and bottom mounts you need, then collasped length and extended length then type of shock, the first thing you know you have a part number!!! all info in back of shock book.

7. I don't think Moog makes any coil overs (or any shocks) - at least they don't show any on their web site. Did you mean Monroe? and if so, Most of those Monroe "Coil Overs" are really just booster shocks and are NOT meant to hold the entire weight of the vehicle.

8. swifty

swifty

My wife's fully fendered 33 coupe uses just 2 Jag coil-overs on a triangulated 4 bar set-up and seems to work OK. We bought the car, I didn't build it, and it's been on the road for about 22 years and done 85k miles.

You should be able to find Jag ones pretty cheap, hell I've got 2 pair in the shed you could have for nix but freight would be a killer LOL

9. marman1950

marman1950

I went online and saw something that looked liked coil overs but Like you were saying, they are not meant for the full weight....

10. marman1950

marman1950

Thanks swifty.... Do you know what year jag? I might be able to find a set at the local junk yard...

11. I really doubt you will find new ones fro less than about $260.00

12. jmpowie

jmpowie

13. marman1950

marman1950

That set up from airbagit looked cool but I wonder if it can replace coil overs or if it needs to be set up with shocks.... The cheapest coil over set up I found wad around 260 on eBay. Any one now what angle to set them up at should be??

14. budd

budd

i was at a friends place a couple weeks back and he had some coil overs that looked simple to make, they used just regular shocks with the upper and lower spring mounts made of plate steel, they were factory made but if you have a welder anyone could make them, a short length of pipe to locate the spring welded to a round disk on 1/4" plate with some ears welded on the bottom where the shock mounting hole was, the same for the upper mount, as for the coils you could use springs from discarded struts.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  15. flynfrog

flynfrog

SOme guys have used sport bike shocks off of Ebay

16. jmpowie

jmpowie

I was thinking about bike shocks but I did not think they would have the right spring rate.

17. There used to be a kit around that used just the coil spring from a true coilover (this would allow you to pick the correct spring rate for your application) and two cups/pads that allowed a person to mount the spring over a regular shock thereby creating your own coilover. I have no idea who made this kit but I'd bet they are still available somewhere.

I'm kinda thinking Art Morrison or possibly Alston, could be wrong though.

With bike shocks or Jaguar shocks the problem would be not having a choice as far as spring rate.

18. bcook07

bcook07
    from Illinois

what about adapting a set of struts off something. They are made to hold the entire weight. You could use the monroe website of view lengths/mountings/etc. Then you could use a set of junk yard struts for mock up (if you find good ones use them or use the springs and get new struts.)

something like this?

These are off an rx7, the ones on the right look like they would be easy to adapt to a shock setup.

[​IMG]

19. budd

budd

this is what i was saying a couple of posts up, i'm going to have my friend bring his by so i can do up some drawings.

20. motorsportsaddict

motorsportsaddict
    from Smyrna, GA

I have a pair of ProShock coilovers if you're interested. I might even have 2 pair. Have to check out in the shop. They're like new if you're interested. They're just taking up space so I sell'em cheap.

-Mark

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Speedway Motors has a kit in their catalog to do just that. It has the bottom adjuster, a threaded sleeve that goes over the shock, and the top cap. You would then buy the springs that fit your application.
    With bike shocks or Jaguar shocks the problem would be not having a choice as far as spring rate.

22. swifty

swifty

I think they are Series 1 XJ6 which started in 76 out here.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Individual Jag coil over springs are only rated around 200lb each from memory. On a bigger heavier body you'll need to upgrade the springs, they are available and easy to swap over.

24. evintho

evintho

25. captmullette

captmullette

i got these from lindblad chassis,508-234-8283, $105.00 each, any spring rate.... real nice and helpful folks....

Attached Files:

26. marman1950

marman1950

Mark... Can you message me about the coil overs? I might be interested in them. Thanks.

27. marman1950

marman1950

I think I need to figure out how much my truck weighs if I want to get the perfect coil over set up.... Then again, I'm not to concerned with the truck riding like a new car. It's a hot rod not a civic!!! I'm more concerned with saving $$$$$$ and getting her on the road!

28. budd

budd

29. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Could this possibly be what you might be looking for?

Under $100 for a pair

[​IMG]

30. slammed

slammed

^^^There you go^^^ Also, someone who upgraded to Air bags and has left over Coil overs would be another source.