Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 gasser build 60s style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottos, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ottos

ottos

Thanks all for the great comments, Im pushing ahead so i can enjoy this car soon. Ive wanted a 55 gasser for a super long time.

2. falfas55

falfas55

Looking good. I'm gonna miss mine soon. I thinks its going to Mississippi.

3. superchargedill

superchargedill

Looking good. Lots of work and lots of fun

4. Looking good Kevin, glad to see you have the TR-1 with the "false floor" (center piece). It'll make more power and keep you from puddling fuel and blowing the plenum box apart. I love those funky old TR-1's. I have '69 Popular Hot Rodding yearbook with an article on the TR-1 small block (301" test engine)versus the X8 crossram. At 5000 rpm the X-ram has fuel stand off above the carbs, but the power is about the same for both manifolds. By 6500 the X-ram is signing off and the tunnel ram is over 20 hp better. At 8000 the TR-1 is 62HP better! Now this is the very first tunnel ram Edelbrock ever made and it KILLS there X ram.., good choice.

5. ottos

ottos

rick, it was funny I was at a local swap meet in havasu and i didnt even have my 55 yet , but was building a 70 nova drag car...I saw the tunnel ram on the ground for 100 bucks and it looked perfect for the era i was building. but soon after i bought my 55 chevy and said this needs to go on this car for sure. def looks differnt for sure... what is cool i have a extra brand new divider in a bag from edelbrock with original paperwork ...pretty neat stuff...

6. GEORGE TAYLOR

GEORGE TAYLOR
    from MAINE

2 thumbs up!
    can't be too many gassers in this world, keep up the good work!

7. Digg'n the vibe brother.....she's coming along very well......best of luck!

Attached Files:

8. Here's a hardtop for inspiration lferis1.jpg

lferis3.jpg

lferis4.jpg

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Great look! Nie project so far! What size Hurst tires did you end up going with?
    J

10. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Looks great man! another one saved:cool: Are you worried about that bread box tunnel ram?? NHRA banned em back in the day cuz they collect fuel and explode.....I wouldn't run it but thats just my .02

11. ottos

ottos

I have the center piece that fits between the two halves so it doesnt collect fuel..

rick the top pick u posted is the ruth ...two lane blacktop car ...bad ass ride for sure...

12. ottos

ottos

Im runnin 30 in tall x 10 in wide on the cheaters

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know how I missed this thread, but you have done some nice work saving that poor old 55 Chevy from the crusher. Keep up the good work.

14. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Damn thats Old Skool! Nothing wilder than a gasser. Keep up the good work.

15. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

Looks good! loving the tunnel ram!

16. ottos

ottos

gettin the nose fitted and finishing the tilt this weekend . it will roll forward few inches before tilting so when painted wouldnt scratch doors...

watcha think about the lexan red scoop will match red windows when done..

Attached Files:

17. Looks the part, very nice , the scoop and windows will work!:)

18. ottos

ottos

the scoop mounts from under side of hood so the flange will be hidden . I should have some better pics this weekend when I go to work on it. Thanks for the likes..:D

19. ....nice touch with the lexan scoop and red tinted windows idea......thats a big thumbs up.

20. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

Very impressive work. Saving a rough '55 and creating a classic gasser. Keep the progress photos coming, I love it!

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What's the scoop look like with the opening foward? I think it will look better that way!

22. ottos

ottos

kinda looks wide mouthed....also it would have the high pressure from windshield facing backwards ...the wind hurls over hood on these cars and hits glass anyways..but here u go.

Attached Files:

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You're right. After seeing it forward, it doen't look a nice as rearward.

24. I got to say a 55 gasser is my dream car. I got a 57 4 door now I'm in the middle of putting a 406 in. Cool car but isn't a 55 gasser. I think the red lexan scoop is awesome.

25. jophus

jophus

Great start. R u gonna radius the quarters or leave them original? I'm currently building a 55 sedan and i'm torn on what to do with the quarters, Radius or Not? Keep up the good work, you'll be turning lots of heads when it's done!

26. ottos

ottos

my car took a turn for the better. got my engine height setup this weekend and did mockup of my hilborn unit on my mock up 454... looking good from this angle...

Attached Files:

27. Butch M

Butch M

lookin real good..........