Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods, Hillbillies and Genuine Moonshine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 15, 2011.

1. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Larry the Cable Guy was on TV the other night (a rerun?) visiting Awesome Bill and test driving a 'shine-mobile. A l-o-n-g drive to HotLanta with a load...and a l-o-n-g "stretch" if you were too slow...

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

A Great piece of history.

3. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

No that was aired back in February, aired spring of 10'. I was there watching it being filmed, pretty cool actually. The 48 Ford, (which I got to drive:cool:) is a real moonshine car. 15 leafs up under-neath, it's got a 56' Cadillac Eldorado engine in it, with straight pipes:eek: It is one awesome car. It's owned by Jacky Jones, who owns about 6 or 7 dealerships in Ga, TN, and NC; he also has a HUGE Ford collection, if I had the money, I'd offer to buy it in a heartbeat. It's just an awesome car!!!

4. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I was deer hunting and following sign north of Snake creek gap, (Johns mountain area) looked around and there was half a dozen big pot plants around me.. Smoke hit my nose.. looked around slow like.. there was a still bubbling away.. I figured I was being watched.. so I waved and crept back into the thicket. (late 80s)

You can get shot, nobody to tell in the woods, more booby traps than in vietnam. Moonshine these days brings more than legal liquor.

They crack the corn, ferment it making Frito chips just like shine.. same smell in the pot.

I was raised with the moonshiners thought.. you build a engine.. then hunt a body to put it in.. then hunt a replacement.. and another.. (that engine got into the new build recently) It's the 12th one for that motor. Second complete build, third set of heads.. fourth intake..

5. HillTopRodShop

HillTopRodShop

Tell Rob-Bob Tidwell hello from Pops.

Thanks, G

6. One of my close friends restored an old moonshiner '40 Ford Standard Coupe several years ago. It had a tired '58 Corvette 283-270 in it with a Saginaw 3-spd/overdrive, hooked up to an original '40 torque tube rearend. Even in its delapidated state the car would fly!

Upon tearing it down, we discovered the right side of the top was about 1/4-inche lower than the left, and the car had been cobbled together. The "hump" in the trunk floor had been replaced with a Mustang door.

I tried to convince him to leave the door in the floor, but he couldn't take it. He recently shoe-horned a Cadillac 500 and TH400 into that car without cutting the firewall, and he's still working the bugs out.

Folks get upset to see a beautiful, original-looking '40 coupe with a Caddy in it, but if they realized just how far gone the car was, they would be quite impressed.

7. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

American Pickers visited Humpy Wheeler's house, this week...and in his garage was a '39 Ford Coupe, done up as a 'shine-mobile. 'Cept he had 'er built with an LS1... Close, but no cee-gar...

8. Franklin Co., Virginia is regarded as the "Moonshining Captal" by the locals. About 15 yrs ago while ascending a mountain route I noticed a 37-40 Ford sitting aside the woods with fairly obvious leafspring modification (due to its empty-load ride height & I had just finish a college research paper on moonshining) I will never forget seeing an abandoned relic of history. Wish camera phones were common then.