Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 57 Ford quad headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Does anyone know for certain when the quad headlights became available on the 1957 Fords?
    Early? Late?
    Or were there some legal issues that prevented their introduction in the 57 model year?

Thanks, as that was a little before my time.:D

2. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

In my old memory, quad headlights were never available on '57 Fords, '58 was the first year. Later there were aftermarket quad kits that were introduced for '57 Fords.

3. 41 Dave

41 Dave

spiffy1937 is correct. The '57 Fords had single headlights. The 58's and later had wuads.

Dave

4. there was legal stuff regarding size of bulbs, once that was changed many oem's switched to quads in 58. one can switch fenders both way with 57/58 fords.

5. twochops

twochops

Here's my 57 Ford with quad headlights

TwoChops

Attached Files:

• 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Aha!

Thank you. :D

7. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

8. 39delux

39delux

They sold those quad headlight conversion kits in J.C. Whitney. I remember them well.

Tom

9. Pharouh

Pharouh

I remember those too. They had them for 57 Chevys and probably Mopars. Strange looking...

10. swissmike

swissmike

I think Mercury had both single and dual headlights in 57. Does anybody know if this was a due to different state laws? I think Chysler was the same.

11. In 57 there were a few states that hadn't approved quad headlights so some auto makers played it safe and produced models with single lights. I can't remember seeing a single ford in that year with quads.

12. actually the 57 chevy was SUPPOSED to have quads good thing they didnt ford would of out sold them way more then 3to 1 like they did

ford designed the 57 from the start with singles

the 57 plymouths were designed to have quads thats why they have that funny looking light in the inboard spot

i think the states had too many different laws reguarding front lights soo somebody had to get them all to play along

13. Normbc9

Normbc9

Attached are photo's of '57 Fords we used to race against in '57-59. None had quad headlights. The first quads I saw were on the '58 Ford Motor Car line.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Most of the above info is correct. Quads weren't "Industry Legal" till '58.

Chrysler was ahead of the game though, as the fenders throughout their entire line were already set for '58 by the way the headlight buckets/front fenders were pre-shaped for Quads.

See my '57 Dodge D-500 below...

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Never a Ford factory option but a common customizers upgrade. Even the aftermarket kits looked like shit.

16. Verminator

Verminator

My 57 mercury wagon has the quad headlights. They came with both singles and duals that year on the same fenders. the singles look much cleaner --duals are too busy looking and don't fit the fender contour as well. 58 and later merc lights looked great in the different fender/grille combination.

17. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

MY '57 MERCURY MONTCLAIR has dual headlights, don't know if they came as an option or not but have a brochure from Mercury showing them to be available as an option so have to believe they did, damn near had fights over them with so called experts who just know that '58 was the first year for them , which is correct as far as standard equipment i believe

18. there were about 7 states that didn't change laws in time for the late 1956 introduction. as the laws changed ford and Chrysler were ready and did sell some mid year Quad head lights on Merc and Chrysler cars. 58 moved to the full lines and GM too

19. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

20. thats not my quote (3 to 1) thats the industrys quote read any book that lists sale figures and they say either 3 or almost 3 to1

kinda makes me wonder why i can build a 57 chevy from nothing out of a catalog but i have to scrounge through junkyards and stuff to find parts for my ford

dont get me wrong i love 57 chevies i just find it funny

no worries im not here to start shit either

21. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I think if I had a 58, I'd find a set of 57 fenders..... 58 cars were mud-fence ugly.....

4TTRUK

22. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

...then why would you buy a 58??

23. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

If I'm not mistaken, the aftermarket quad headlight set ups for the 57 Fords came about right after the 1958 model line was introduced.. I remember reading an old ad that said something to the effect of "make you 57 Ford look like a new car again" and shows a 57 Ford with the quad kits installed, much like the ad posted above...

25. Like many auto makers Merc could have had a what was called a half year run like ford did in 63 I have seen Mercs with both light systems stock. lost a dinner over this one. Lol

26. twochops

twochops

This is how my 57 Ford got quad headlights
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  27. DrJ

DrJ

If I had a '57, 58 or 59 Ford I'd put a '58 Edsel front end on it, unless the Edsel parts car was in better shape. Then I'd sell the Ford.
    If you just want different, try some '56? Ford truck headlight doors. It's an easy modification.

28. Never a factory option.
    JC whitney sold tons of them as aftermarket assemblies.
    The things turned to rusty patina inside of a year, yes, the lights, and the cars!

29. twochops

twochops

Attached Files:

• 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views: