Register now to get rid of these ads!

Abandoned Pontiac down by the railroad tracks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Yagotta love finding abandoned cars along side a railroad track down in the coalfields , you'd think that the prices of scrap this would have been long gone , of course , even though it is along the railroad tracks , it isn't in a place that everyone can see it , I kinda wonder how it got here as you see there are no roads in the general vacinity... kinda makes ya wonder , huh?

Attached Files:

2. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Does make you wonder how it got there. I must say that is a pretty good photograph. Two of my favorite subjects old cars and trains. Having taken the train on several occasions it amazes me what is left in backyards and along the railway right of way, I just can never remember where it is!!

Is it salvageable? Some of the chrome bits look not bad.

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

At least get the trim parts . Anything removable.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

4. the other me

the other me

great pic...love finding stuff like that.

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, Jeff! And COOL find, Squeaky Hinge! I used to love finding old cars, trucks, tractors and parts while hunting along fence rows and ravines, so this brings back memories of long-ago times -- as I reflected on back in Post #1 of the HAMB thread, "Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970." For a coupla years, I've been steadily trying to pull together both VINTAGE pix of junked, abandoned and pastured cars/trucks, as well as neglected oldies still surviving, wherever they may be. I don't want the memories and experience of scoping the vintage rust to fade away without being recorded, as best as we can. Another thread guys and gals might love is RoyalShifter's "Sitting and Rotting.....picture thread."

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That is a great photo!
    Like other photos of old cars abandoned way out in the woods, it makes you wonder how/why it ended up there;

Stolen and joy ridden until the engine siezed?

A young couple looking for a quit spot-until it sank in the mud. Maybe an out of towner or service man on leave. The car wasn't worth the price of the tow bill.

A car load of teenagers out partying in Dad's car. Got it stranded out there. To save face, they went home and told Dad the car had been stolen-never to be recovered.

A guy drove into the woods and commited suicide. Authorities hauled off the corpse, but didn't order a tow because the car is on private property.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, Jeff, is this where the Steelers play now? Cool shot; when was it taken? From the looks of those cranes,
    this yard must have loaded megatons of scrap on barges for the mills!
    [​IMG]

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Not to hijack Squeaky Hinge's thread. But here's a classic for you all who love those woodsy finds. :cool: It's in Rhode Island of all places! :eek:

[​IMG]

9. cowboy.3d

cowboy.3d
    from Austin TX

Great photo, Squeaky Hinge!

10. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

A friend of mine here goes to the coalfields to look for cars. Says it's just far enough from all the recyclers that nobody hauled them in.

I remember a road down toward Williamson where they had a built a barrier out of old transmissions, about 3' high between the pavement and the river.

11. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

That's an awesome pic, but begs the question, how long did you have to wait for the train to come to get it?

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great picture! Appears to be a '54 Star Chief. I don't suppose you could grab me the headlight rings off of that, could ya'?! :rolleyes::D

13. racer67x

racer67x

with the "Bridge to Nowhere" in the background...cool!

remember the story of the guy who jumped it?

14. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

C'mon down, but bring a job with you because there's none here.

15. budd

budd

16. Cool pic! CSX trains with coal cars run on the other side of the river from my house in Winfield.

Jim

17. The Pontiac has been there so long that maybe there was a road there when it was last driven.

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Dang... How many trips did it take for you to haul that out? :)
    Seriously... is that car "getable"?

-Brad

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I could never even think about moving to a state that is so backwards they have a law outlawing radar detectors :p

20. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Uhhhh.... that would be VIRGINIA....not West Virginia....getting these two states confused is kinda like confusing someone's mother with the hooker on the corner , you don't wanna do that and get caught be the son...lol

21. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Squeaky Hinge, you beat me to it. We got the hell out of VA back during the Civil War.

I like that people believe WV is backwards, it helps to keep the assholes away.

22. Gabriel Howard

Gabriel Howard
    from OKC
    1. Okie Hambers

23. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

as stated above ^^^^^^^cool picture!

24. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

Nice pic, that looks alot like the Hoan Bridge in Milwaukee, also referred to as 'The Bridge to Nowhere'...

[​IMG]

25. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Don't intend to derail the thread but that's an interesting story.:D

Attached Files:

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The Pontiac reminds me of a similar-vintage Buick sitting by the tracks in one of those eerily empty industrial areas near Milwaukee Junction in Detroit. Also apparently abandoned.

The ‘30s coupe (Chevy?) reminds me of a story my dad used to tell about a ‘20s Chevy coupe abandoned in the woods in Presque Isle, Michigan. He used to see it while four-wheel driving. He said it looked like every hunter for 50 years had used it for target practice.

-Dave

27. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Here's one I found , while not in the coalfields , it is abandoned on a farm in Rural Retreat , VA , from the looks of it , it has been there for a while also.....

Attached Files:

28. Ugh Blue One......you are thinking about Virginia. We are in WEST Virginia (a different state). Radar detectors are NOT illegal in WEST Virginia and we don't consider ourselves "backwards" or "back-woods". John Denver (singer/song writer) considered us "Almost Heaven".

Jim

29. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I guess you won't be moving to Ontario either.

30. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Actually, if you want to see it, go to 1380 Piquette Avenue, Detroit, MI on Google Street View and look up at the abandoned railroad overpass.

-Dave