Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone shipped a vehicle via Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geemann51, Aug 2, 2011.

1. geemann51

geemann51

I will be shipping my 51 and have been assigned Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) through the relocation service, has anyone used these folks? Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated. I normally move it myself or have Ben D handle the job but as a benefit of the relo package it is included and I just want to know what I might be getting myself involved in. I'm sure they are great for the daily's but not sure about cars with special needs... Thanks in advance.

2. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

Shipped many cars with DAS out of the Linden N.J. office. Never a problem.The buyer prepaid them and I dropped the car off there.

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I have a terminal near my shop. Dropped car to them (here in Illinois) and they delivered it to NJ 4 days later. Customer was happy and said they even washed the car for him. Stu

4. geemann51

geemann51

Good stuff fellas', thank you...

5. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used them several times in the past. No problems.

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

I sold a car on ebay and the buyer used them. He paid them and they picked it up. Arrived safe and sound... although I have heard bad stories about them (cars, parts gone missing, etc). If you do a search here I bet you'll find some of those stories.

7. I've used them a few times in the past. Happy every time. One car was a '69 GTO RAIII filled with parts. Everything arrived safe. Another time the driver was a gearhead and spent a couple hours shooting the shit.

8. I had my bird shipped from LA to Tx with das . No problems at all.

9. I used them twice when I was in the Navy for coast to coast moves. I used their door to door service and their terminal to terminal service (cheaper). Not complaints at all.

10. ecna

ecna

I ended up not using them because door to door is actually door to terminal, terminal to terminal, terminal to door. It was for a pretty fast OT car and I wasn't comfortable with all of the loading, unloading and sitting around for the next leg.

11. brewster55

brewster55

not personal, but i have a few friends who have used them for ot cars and had problems. cars dirty, plastic body panels ripped off in one instance.

one person used them to ship a large european luxury car, and said there were foot prints in the back, like someone was taking a nap.

12. pecker head

pecker head

Dang ! You moving ? Guess you want be at Pistons and Paint this year ?

13. geemann51

geemann51

Thanks everyone, I appreciate teh feedback.

Yeah, got a great opportunity to head back to San Diego so I took it. The only thing I won't miss is this blasted heat...

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Like any big company you will have good and bad experience. Mine was bad. I left a Studebaker truck I had sold with a new red paint job on it at their Wichita location which was really just a tow yard storage area type place in an industrial area of town. They parked it under some power lines where pigeons crapped all over the new paint for a few days and left the key on which ran the battery down. When it would not start I had to go down there and start the truck (160 mile round trip) so my customer would not be charged an "in operable" fee. The shipment was delayed yet another week with even more bird shit on it. When it got to NJ the customer was pissed and was even mad at me--------and HE was the one who hired them not ME----after that when a buyer would tell me they were hiring DAS I would refuse to deliver to their Wichita location. Of course none of this may happen to your nice car............I hope

15. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

The company I used to work for did testing for GM and Ford . The both used DAS at various times no real problems . Used to see some nice cars come through with ours

16. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I've used them twice for old cars. No problems here either.

17. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Do you know if they ship parts - I have a gearbox to move from Texas to LA?

18. I shipped my roadster from here to Minnesota worked good no problem.

19. My only experience with them was fine. I sold the car on ebay and the overseas buyer selected and paid for DAS. I drove it to the New Jersey terminal and took pictures of everything (including faces) when I dropped it off. It's been 2yrs and I haven't heard any complaints.
    Bil

Attached Files:

20. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I don't think they ship parts, but I am not certain. I do know that they'll charge you extra if the car doesn't run.

21. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Lots of high end cars ship from the Scottsdale Barret Jackson Auction using Reliable. I have seen the trucks lined up for loading and watched the process.

22. geemann51

geemann51

For what it's worth, these guys manhandled my car delivering it with a big gouge in the back of the car, the battery dead because they left the ignition switch on, and the rear seats dislodged, chips in the skirts that were wrapped in blankets in the trunk, etc. I know that they don't specialize in our types of cars but I wouldn't recomend them. Use Ben D, you'll be much happier.

23. Sorry you had problems with DAS. you are one of many, over the years I have been hired by at least 3 customers to go to their storage yards to retrieve vehicles that had been stored for over a month while they were waiting for enough cars to load the truck. They lost their deposits but at least they got their new toys while they were young enough to play with them.

24. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

AWFUL. We shipped my wife's truck cross country a month ago. JUST got here last week. Their customer service is wretched. I'm going to be talking to management this week about a refund. If they don't, I'm going to dispute the credit card charge and spend a few weeks posting my story everywhere I can think of, as they treated me like crap and I don't want anyone else wasting their money on those jackholes.

25. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Used them twice with no complaints.

26. belair57

belair57
    from australia

I had no problems with them at all when they shipped my car from Virginia to LA and then to Australia

27. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Sold an o/t sports car couple of years ago to a guy in the southwest. He arranged shipping through DAS. Was a cluster grope all the way. First they refused it at terminal (drop ship yard in MA DAS uses) because it had an aftermarket battery kill switch. Then after we removed the switch the car sat at terminal for some days, then loaded went to NJ and sat there for a week or so, then off to another place and sat for days. Took well over a month to get the car from NH to NM. And the guy I sold car to was unable to really communicate with them according to him. I know he wasn't happy.

28. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Got a quote from them online and when they showed up they doubled it. I sent them packing.

29. Phastphil

Phastphil

Unless you specifically know the driver, ANY transport company becomes a crapshoot, used Specialty Mobile Systems twice, 1st time couldn't have been better, 2nd time time was piss poor, the carrier company they subcontracted to were the worst bunch of crooks/assholes I've ever delt with! What many of the transport companies do is post the "job" on the internet and take the low bid, you and they don't know what you may end up with. If you don't use one of the HAMB guys, go to the rating board for carriers on the net, pick one with a better rating and INSIST they use their own driver or find some else! Still no guarentee but your chances are much better!

30. real550A

real550A

I shipped 2 Porsches with them with no complaints. Today, I called for a quote to move my '31 coupe, and they handed me off to another shipper. ???
    I emailed Ben tonight.