Register now to get rid of these ads!

front engine dragster restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by icetoe, Nov 20, 2011.

1. icetoe

icetoe
    from finland

hello,
    i am restoring 60s front engine dragster and i need help from you guys!!

i assume that the driver/builder according old businesscard from the trailer is:

Charlie´s Auto Repair
    1135 Spruce
    Florissant, Missouri
    attn: Charles Crow

trailer has old paintings on sides that say OLD CROW RACING TEAM and there is a picture of crow driving front engine dragster.

frame, frontaxle and fueltank looks like professional made and are really good craftmanship. frame has been metallic red and tins has been metallic blue. classfibre backpart has been golden metaflake but i thik its not from the first version of the car. iwe been told that engine has been 283 with corvette mechanical injection and ran with alcohol. rear axle is from 40s ford truck and tranny clutchflite.

iwe been told that dragster has been raced from 60s to early 80s. first in Missouri area and later Charles moved to Texas.

i will post more pictures of trailer and all parts that came with dragster.(and ask lots of cuestions...)

i would appreciate any kind of information that is avaliable (pictures, tracs where Charles raced, infomation about fronaxle, fueltank, backpart of the body and framebuilder, parts that they generally used on dragsters like this)

wbrg isto

Attached Files:

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Looks like a nice project.
    Do you plan to just restore it, to make it a cacklecar or do you plan to run it?

Taildragger&fenderless

3. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Sorry I can't help you. However I will be watching for updates. Cool project.

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Not sure if this will help I knew a George Crow out of Omaha Nebr, that run fuel cars in the 60's ,he raced with howdy williams and hoot Gibson, williams is dead but i think crow and Gibson might be around still, I've been away from racing for 16 years tho, I'll check around for ya Tim Jones

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find, I've always liked the the nice chute pack bodies fron the mid 1960's, good luck with the rebuild. Getting all the history on the car first, befor you start the rebuild is the way to go. Bob

6. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Rod Stuckey car !!

7. We have a FED group on FaceBook with several hundred guys who could help ID the cars history.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have checked without any luck so far but if the information you have is correct the car would have almost certainly run at Alton Dragstrip,

9. WCD

WCD

Nice call on identifying as a Stuckey car.

10. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

One of the best places to look for an ID on an old FED is on web site WEDIDITFORLOVE.COM the focus there is primarily top fuel, but you will see JR fuel and other configurations also. Good luck in your search.
    It looks fairly complete and please keep posting and join the Front Engine Dragsters social group here on the HAMB. Lots of knowledge there.

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Chutepack....I love it good luck.

12. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

I had a Stuckey car about 20 years ago !!......wish i still had it .

13. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

As tech official at Alton Dragway[61-69] I remember the car and Charlie Crow. Time has erased most detail of memory,I will try to get details from one of the crew,who I see at breakfast twice a week. Charlie raced with us almost weekly starting with a 6cyl gasser,and ultimately to this car. I will get back to you in a few days ,Dick

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew that body looked familiar and I think you may have hit it on the head.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Not bad, after an 8 hour old post from Finland, another "Power of the HAMB" story. :D

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Amazing amount of Drag Racing people are here.....it just gets better and better.

17. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

That is a pretty car. Will be watching for updates and I wish you good luck with your quest for the history of this racer.

18. Grabber1

Grabber1

I can verify that Charlie Crow ran G/G and H/G at Alton from 1962 thru 1965. I got 2 photo's here, one of the Charlie Crowe that Dragsled mentions that just happens to be at Alton, and the other, well you'll just have to decide because I don't know?

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      463.3 KB
      Views:
  19. Grabber1

Grabber1

Well the Dragsled Charlie Crowe won't upload for some reason so you only get the mystery dragster.

20. Grabber1

Grabber1

Try again

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      447.7 KB
      Views:
  21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

There is nothing like hazing the "balconies" with a fuel car!!!

22. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Wow! You guys are the best, Hamb strikes again.
    Wish i found out that much about my FED.

Hope to see this one in action at Kula Raceway!!?

Check out www.svda.se

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

23. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

i called a buddy of mine he thinks both hoot gibson and George Crow are around still I'll try to get in touch with them Tim jones

24. icetoe

icetoe
    from finland

hello Kjell,
    as soon as we get our act together, well be at Kula Raceway! we also got old top fuel Harley, are the bikes welcome too?

isto

25. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

You are most welcome:)
    Just bes shure to have documents with you if intend to run it.
    You need a licens, and you need to certify the chassis.
    Safety first:)

Old dragbikes ar welcome too:)

check out www.classicdragbike.net
    and see some of the team's.

Throw me an email and i'll send you some info soon.

You can also call Aulis, he has been there.

Br
    Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

26. icetoe

icetoe
    from finland

hello again,
    here we have some new pictures:
    if anyone could tell me something about these pictures i would be grateful!!!

injectors are not from this fed but if someone has some information of it i would be clad:) i am planning to put this on with hillbor pump. friend that i bought it from told me its been build by some small shop from TEXAS in 60s???

clutchflite is not either from this fed but iwe been told its also from 60s and i am plannin to put it on if i dont get better information what has been original tranny or has it been highgear???

if anyone has old casted steel bellhousing that fits to my fed i would be interested buying it. iwe seen some really nice with casted text: NHRA... anyone??

isto

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  27. That injection is pretty slick! Never seen a 4 on 8 setup like that before. Looks like somebody really put a lot of time into the linkage, etc. It should work fine with a Hilborn 0 or 1/2 (alcohol) pump. Definitely early to mid 60s, as it was designed with the rear boss for the old draft tube blocks.

28. Cool project! Looks like you're gonna have some fun!

29. rat seeker

rat seeker