Register now to get rid of these ads!

sorry for the stupid question

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by zestybacon, Nov 19, 2011.

1. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

My Grandpa passed and left me his truck. I have LOVED this truck for over 30 years and have amazing memories of him and it. I always knew it was a 55 what I didn't know was that there were several types of 55s and I can not find an understandable list of the differences. It has the wrap around front window, small back window and it has a round hood emblem. It has job rated on the side. Any info on the proper I.D. would be sooooo appreciated!!!! Thank you.

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. Post an introduction first, tell us about you and the cars/trucks you own, then post the technical questions over on the main board. The short answer to your question is that they made a First Series '55 which looks like a '54, the last with the AD (Advanced Design) body style that came out in '47. The second series looks like a '56, the first of the new body style that ran through '59. First series '55s, like the other trucks in the AD series could be had with a standard (3 window) cab or the deluxe 5 window cab with the curved back corner windows. The second series could be had with the standard cab (small back window) or the deluxe cab (big back window that was the full width of the cab).

4. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Thank you. I forgot to mention it was a dodge. I have found some info online but it is just not the info I am looking for. I guess I am just googling the wrong thing.

5. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Thanks 38! I think the trouble I am having is telling the difference between the two when I look at images I was hoping the round hood ornament might help me figure it out. I just read about a 9 ft bed and that is really throwing me off. I will go over to the other forum but thought the rule was to post here first. Nothing to exciting in my past as far as cars goes as this truck was always my true love.

6. banditomerc

banditomerc

introduce yourself my friend,don't be shy.welcome

7. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I don't exactly what to say. This is my first "classic" and I am clearly in over my head. I thought he would leave it to my dad but ....... I don't mind getting dirty.. (I do construction for a living) but being a single gal without a "guys guy" around to show me the ropes I guess I will be here plenty trying to figure this "dream come true" out.

8. The answer I gave was for '55 Chevy/GMC trucks, when you mentioned more than one body style in '55, I assumed you were talking about Chevy/GMC. As an old railroad guy I knew used to say, "Many good men died from assumption." I don't know the Dodge pickups as well, so I'm not much help there.

9. Old&Low

Old&Low

At any rate, Welcome from New Mexico! I don't 'know my Dodges' either, but I'm sure there's enough talent on this site to give you plenty of help. Good luck and have fun here!

10. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Oh 38.. every little bit helps. Thanks for taking the time to write. I just learned tonight that there were different models. I guess that is what life is about .....learning....

11. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

thanks O&L I keep poking aound here but I am still not finding an answer ...do you know where I can find some info/directions in the archives?

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

welcome to the HAMB, alot of good info to be found here.do you have pics?

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

I checked on the car pic's index and the 54, 55, and 56 dodge trucks all look pretty much the same. Here is a 55.
    [​IMG]

14. Old&Low

Old&Low

15. mrforddude

mrforddude

ZB,

Welcome to the HAMB; what part of Arkansas are you in?

16. Welcome from Clarksville. What part of the state are you in?

17. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

thanks death, that was interesting
    Gary....no pics yet.....its at my dads house for safe keeping till I figure out what and how To use this thing
    Ghost, That is close ...mine has a tire on the side and a job rated thing. Round side mirrors and.... more rust
    Q- how hard is it going to be to find parts? ex... Windshield???
    O&L I will check out the link in a minute but it sounds promising ! Thank you
    & Mr.F I am in Little Rock and loving it .....and you????
    1G- good morning!
    I just wanted to say thank you for all you help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Welcome to HAMB..... There's no such thing, as a "stupid question"..... Asking, and observing is how we learn !!!!!!!!!! Ask Away !!

4TTRUK

19. mrforddude

mrforddude

Well ZB,

I have a house in Hope and my 65 F100 is in Greenbrier waiting for me to get back form working overseas here shortly. I'm always seeing old trucks everywhere when I'm home, if you need something or a hand with something (i.e. moving it to your home) let me know...I have truck, trailer and tools and will travel.

20. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Thanks Mr F. I definitively will be needing some coaching. I know where the engine is and thats about it. I have no clue how to even drive this beast. I think the first thing to do is get some really good insurance.

21. mrforddude

mrforddude

Sounds to me like the first thing you need to do is get it home so you can at least stare at and start coming up with "your plan" for it...

22. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana and lots of luck with your build.

23. spikez57

spikez57

Welcome....Thats a good memorie of your grandpa.The car I have was a project my grandfather did over 30 years ago..