Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junkyard/Mobile Tool Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigd4xman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Did several searches for a Junkyard Tool Box thread and turned up nothing so, I decided to give it a go.

What do you guys/gals have for a junkyard tool box setup? What tools do you carry at a minimum, and what do you end up wishing you had with you? I have found myself in the yard more and more lately and my box and tools is always evolving, just bought a new box to outfit and trying to figure out what to add or subtract.

So post up your junkyard or mobile tool box, list it's contents, and show some pics if you can.

2. The most important thing to remember is, you'll have to carry it.

Have the basics and plan before you leave. I wouldn't keep a 1/2" drive ratchet and a seat belt socket in the box if I wasn't gonna use them.

A note pad/ink pen and tape measure are great for when you stumble on something you aren't sure will work. Don't forget your cell phone, if it has a camera, take a pic.

3. I learned my lesson a couple years ago. I found a tempest with the half a 389 four cylinder in it. I had the money to buy it, but I didn't have the tools to pull it. When I came back the next week, the whole car was gone. So now I always take a bunch of tools, so I can pull whatever I might find. I leave them in the trunk, and take a walk around the yard first. Once I find what I want, I put just the tools I need in a Husky duffel bag (from Home Depot) and go back in and get my parts.

I once watched two Mexicans pull a motor out of a Crown Vic with nothing but a hammer and an old screwdriver though, so I guess that's all you really need.:eek:

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have one of those craftsman 160 piece or however many it is tool kits in its own plastic case. added some vice grips and other stuff. I always bring my trusty wagon so carrying is no problem.

6. Fenders

Fenders

The local yard here has a few beat up kid's wagons (remember Radio Flyer?) by the door you can take into the yard, tote your tools in or parts out...

Maybe you could throw your own wagon in your truck....

7. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I learned the hard way to carry Wasp & hornet spray

8. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

the generic wrench and socket set,big and little crescent wrench,hacksaw,hammer and chisel.good side cutters and a good vise grip.
    assorted screwdrivers,one big one to use as a prybar.
    all in a canvas bag.Leatherman always on my belt.
    never more than you wanna carry,dont forget waterless hand cleaner and rags.
    it always helps to do a mental review of what you are looking for and the tools needed for the removal.
    i did a lot of "Partin" years ago,just havent found the time to start it up again.

9. i use this rig; a cheap dolly with pneumatic tires with an over size steel milk crate attached. it holds my hi lift jack and my tool bag nicely. you ditch the jack or the dolly as needed. a nice sturdy bag is a plus. mine is a Klein leather tool bag, but the home depot variety are great also. i like to keep my sockets in a pouch. also my metric wrenches . the more organized you can keep your bag the easier it is to use. don't forget a rag or two and a pair of gloves is nice. the more you use your set up the more you can refine it to your taste. it's always a compromise between weight and having all the tools you need!.

Attached Files:

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I like the dolly idea, the high lift jack would come in handy as well, since allot of vehicles are right on the ground when you really want something that is under them.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm impressed with the battery powered ratchets and sawzalls they have now.

12. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Back up for the night owls. Didn't find much on the Garage Journal either, looking for some ideas myself and hoping to inspire others to get back to old school parting in yards that still allow it.

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

A friend. I twisted my ankle real bad pulling a windshield by myself. I only spent a half hour in 100 degree heat cutting it out. Everything about that trip sucked.

14. mrforddude

mrforddude

I haven't had the luxury of getting to go on a "prize trip" in a while; I'm sure that my cordless impact will be getting a workout when I go and of course a cordless screwdriver/drill with bits...most importantly though: BFH, vise grips, cresent-hammer and a big-@$$ screwdriver

15. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I'm starting to think one of the mini cutting torch outfits would be a nice addition if you knew you were after something big and might run across frozen bolts or exhaust or other shit in the way that needs disposed of.

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

In the few yards in our area of PA that you can still walk through, many state that closed tool boxes are not allowed. Justified or not, I guess there's the modern paranoia that people are stealing small bits & pieces. Therefore, the 5-gallon bucket has become the standard carry-all. It's actually not too bad.