Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

It was really an incredible race last night. TODD WON!!!!!
    The first race was by far the best. Most at the track last night had never seen Todd's Merc, and injected engines just do "something".
    The second race, Ernies trans finally let go after eighteen month's of pounding.
    We're looking for some video of it. It was just that good.

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

3. Judd

Judd

Dave
    Do you think I can get my bare metal doors light enough to make fiberglass doors unecessary?

Now a Fiberglass Door weight only 18 pounds each 36 for both, without the glass and hardware.

Original Factory AFX and BFX Doors were Lighter Yet! The AFX 65 Comets did no have inside window cranks so those plexglass windows didn't roll down.
    In the staging lanes it was hot in 90+ degree days. I couldn't wait to get the race over Win or Not. I would hold the door open not like a BFX ware the window went down.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Judd;do what I did to my stock doors.I removed all the glass and hardware,removed any bracing for the windows and arm rests,took out the wind wings and all the hardware for them.I cut all the interior sheet metal out but left enough to attach the aluminum panels.Used a hole saw and cut holes in the bottom of the door and both ends.I then installed fixed Lexan windows,the only cost was for the Lexan.You can pick up a door with one hand.When I did mine fiberglass doors were not being produced yet,the projected cost at the time was over $600 for a pair,before prep and paint and you still needed to make windows. ROY.

5. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

~~~~~~~~afx dave~~~~~~~~

6. 65COMET

65COMET

I just got word that Todd Hoffman's injected 500+"FE powered 65 Comet, took the match in two straight over Ernie and his Fairlane.Todd ran a 6 FLAT[1/8th mile]to Ernie's 6.02,both great times at Irwindale,CA.,1/8 mile track!Ernie broke his trans on the second round of the match,wish I had been there.There are photos on Mike Morgan Photography web site[Irwindale 2011],I would post them but am clueless on how. ROY.

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I have a link to them in my thread, Roy. Mike actually has a lock on his photos, so cannot grab onto and re-post 'em.

8. spiertb

spiertb

Be prepared for a lot of frustration if you decide to use a set of Crites glass doors on your comet. I installed a pair--they both were caved in at least 1/4 inch in the center of the door,had to be filled, one was warped so much that a buddy who teaches auto body couldn't make it fit correctly, door locks are VERY difficult to install, impossible to put "fuzzies" on one side of the door window opening, We had the doors fitted for correct gaps then installed the weatherstripping and the doors would NOT close so we had to remove them. One episode after another. Syl

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Syl;that is basically why I lightened a set of steel doors,plus I had them,the fit is perfect and they don't change shape in the heat.Crites had their prototypes but no doors ready when I was doing my fenders and hood,had them all painted at the same time. ROY.

10. '65CycloneGasser

'65CycloneGasser

Gretings from a semi new guy...concerning your earlier remarks/ questions about lack of dash pad for a '65. My '65 Cyclone lacks a factory dash pad, as well. Close scrutiny of the area shows where the dash was embossed from the factory for the pad clips but the holes were never drilled. Thus the chrome trim beneath the pad is subsequently not there either. I have asked this question before to Cometeers but no real answer. My car does have the factory FG hood but i don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any input would be appreciated. Hmmmm....tx

11. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Do you have a 6 digit DSO?

12. Nicholson's 65 in 1966 after Pete Gates got it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;I will be interested in the door weight,I didn't think about weighing mine before and after.Complete doors with glass and hardware are stout,gutted with the fixed Lexan they are really light.Any new photos of your Comet? ROY.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Larry;that picture of Todd's 65 is classic,it always leaves like that!!! 6.0 in the 1/8th is STOUT!! ROY.

15. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, your not kidding, about Todd's car leaving hard. Ernie's car is a wicked fast 351, too. Wish I could hace seen the races!!

Goooooood stuff!
    Eric

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I"ve read all the horror stories on the Crites doors. I had none of these issues with Crites products when I did a major revamping of Ernies Fairlane. In my opinion, the doors were well built, dimensions were well within the norm for a handmade product, and they went together with little hassle. I've never worked with fiberglass products before, and if you were to come up to his racecar, there are very few clues to think they are not steel.
    I do get that just lightening steel doors would be waaaay cheaper though.:)
    Dale
    A link to the build:http://public.fotki.com/teddisnoke/ernies-furious-fairlane/

17. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Did you buy the 65 Cyclone New? I know a guy in the Detroit Michigan Area bought a 65 Cyclone that was all Rusted Out, So he found a standard 2 door Hardtop Rust Free Comet then had it had it Repainted then put all the 65 Cyclone Parts trim on the inside and out! He Won many first places at car shows. Only One Guy Checked ID Numbers on the inter front fender panels. I bought my first 65 Cyclone in Sep 1964 the first day they were out, ordered it in July, I didn't even know what they look like! ~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~

18. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I know it's not forum friendly but I'd like to find out more on the Fairlane in the other lane. If I remeber right it's owner is called Larry the Atty or something and the car is a very high reving sbf.

19. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Syl:
    To be honest I haven't used Crites glass doors, I had the Original fiberglass doors that Stropp used on the 65 Factory FX Cars, they were made by Cal Glass back then. On my 64 AFX Comet clone. Randy DeLisio made all the changes to the body 15 years ago, that's when I bought a pair of his doors that fit just fine. I thought Crites doors would fine I known him for over 28 years. Another source was back in 1964 I bought a pair of Doors that were in Canada by Plaza Industry. Thy were used on the AFX and BFX cars in 64 & 65. H & M had a batch of fiberglass doors some one at the auction bought??? They got to be out there some ware???? Check with Rick Kirk he might know more on them. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

20. 65COMET

65COMET

64Cyclone;the Fairlane belongs to and is driven by Ernie.It has a 427W,C-4 combo with HUGE compression and a HUGE cam,among other great pieces.Not sure what it weighs but has a lot of fiberglass pieces installed.I have seen both cars run 9s at Bakersfield,Todd's Comet went 9.61 on a test pass and Ernie's Fairlane went 9.40s at Bakersfield.I watched Ernie run a 6.04 in testing at Irwindale,so I bet both cars have LOW 9s in them!! ROY.

21. '65CycloneGasser

'65CycloneGasser

yes, it's ...#217601...also the glove box door has been welded shut. But i hear this was a fairly common practice in the day to prevent it from popping open during launch. Whoever welded it did a near machine quality weld bead at that. So what does a 6 digit code denote?...tx, B

22. Just means your car was a special order in the Atlanta sales district.

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Mikes photo actually has some good luck that goes along with it. CarCraft used our main pit for their homebase on some testing the other night, and it seems there will be a "double feature" photo shoot during the holidays on BOTH cars!! Ernie's car is very deserving, as is Todd's!!! Hey Roy, I'd say our little rag tag group out here has kept the periodicals quite supplied with retro bitchin vintage iron, eh???

24. 65COMET

65COMET

The best part is that they are featuring something other than Red 69 Camahoes!!!!!!ROY.

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Dosent the 6 didget DSO mean it could be a HIPO Comet?

26. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Ernie just informed me his car weighs 3350lbs with driver..

27. Normbc9

Normbc9

I wish I had a photo of the '65 Comet Caliente with the 289 HP and a four speed. It was a seriously quick car. BUT... look at this Cammer Comet.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Yes.The Hi-Po option was usually a package that included HD suspension and brakes,a 9 inch rearend with HD driveshaft.Mine came with transistorized ignition and a NHRA 1965 approved RC Industries bellhousing.I'm not saying your car is a Hi-Po,but something was definitely "special ordered".It could be a Hi-Po Comet.Got the build sheet?

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Normbc9;that 65 Comet was built by my Friend John"Scrap Iron"Richmond,from Escondido,CA..He started it around 2002,never quite got it finished and sold it to a collector in Virginia.There are other pictures of it on here from various shows.John has built three 65s over the years,a red 202 sedan,427FE,4 speed street car,that white SOHC powered one and the "Whistler",a two tone silver,straight axle,small block powered 65 hardtop,they have all been on here. ROY.