Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has Anybody Else Lost Interest In Their Projects?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I read a story in an older magazine I have lying around about a month ago that the editor of this magazine had a pristine 1932 Ford that he purchased in the late seventies. He picked it up for a little under $500 back then and had held onto it for over the last thirty years with the hopes of one day getting to it. Thirty years later, he had finally come to the conclusion that he wasn't going to do anything with it and decided that it might be time to let it go which got me to thinking about my own projects that are going no where.

I think its time to let a few go so I can get to the current ones that I'm still interested in before I own them for so long that they just become a pipe dream.

So keep your eyes posted in the near future for a 1950 Ford 4-Door Sedan with all the sheetmetal to turn it into a 2-door, a 8BA Flathead and a T5 combo, and more parts than you can shake a stick at to come up in the Classified threads if you're looking for one.

Have any of yall come to the same conclusion with one of you're projects? When did you decide it was time to part ways? I'd like to hear your stories and see some pictures if yall have the time.

2. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I finished an O/T project, drove it for 15 years, even drove off from my wedding in it. My intrest had changed and life came along with a child and home and all the other stuff that comes with growing up. and this year I sold it. I didnt sell it because I had to or pressure to do so but it was time. I didnt drive it anymore and it was just sitting around more and more. I have lots of pictures of it and the memories. I dont miss it, I am very happy with my currant project and the cash is a comfort for me and my family.

I have sold off most of my toys this year, 4 wheelers, motorcycles and 4x4's. I came to the point where I had to much stuff and didnt have time to enjoy any of it. So I sold it all off to focus my time and funds into my 53 project, having the extra space in the shop is a plus. No regrets, theres a season for everything.

MrC.

3. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I know guys with 5 cars and none are finished. I agree its good to finish one so at least you have a ride.If Money is the ptoblem so sell a few.

4. Gator

Gator

I usually do as soon as they're finished.

I can only afford / have room for one project at a time. Too many guys I know get themselves 2 or more projects going at the same time. They get overwhelmed, then run out of money, space, time, and interest. (not necessarily in that order)

Then again, another friend of mine has enough projects to last him the rest of his life and rarely has anything 'finished', and he's one of the happiest guys I know.

5. Crankhole

Crankhole

I reached that conclusion just a few years ago...and have since sold off 6 projects to focus on my Model A. I feel much less overwhelmed now and have more space to work.

6. Never! Sold a few to start new ones but never lost intrest in any of them, but I only do one build at a time, due to space and money.

7. I've had the old Ford for about three years. I still like it, but I honestly don't know if I will ever finish it. I've got this old Dodge pickup that is talking to me. I find myself more excited at the thought of working on it rather than any of the others. Maybe it's just time to do it, right?

8. Hell buddy,
    I loose interest in mine on a dailey basis. :eek: :D:D

What is bad is when you get one all set with a specific direction than if you don't jump in and do it right away it changes and morphs into something else. I have one that has changed direstions so many times that it has come full circle. probably a good thing i still have most of what I originally planned on doing with it. ;)

9. Interest isn`t usually my problem. Cash or lack of,is . Two weddings in two years kinda slowed things down.(No not mine...my kids !)

10. Algon

Algon

I like anything challeging or highly skilled but after all the hard stuff is done I'm normally bored with a project. It's a conflict of interests I enjoy building over the top stuff but I also like driving the simple bench seat sedan with a 4speed and a heathly big block.

11. Got this one right now. Lost interest and can't seem to jump start the project. It has brakes steering and will run.

Attached Files:

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Im 30 and no kids, so i dont mind haveing projects sitting around. Its all the running cars that bug me, the registration and insurance, oil changes. Its a lot of time maintaing a fleet.

13. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, the 57 suburban has been taking 13 years so far and it's still in pieces. The 61 bubbletop I've had for 10 years and still haven't even put the new floor in.

I did just sell one truck, I got another going with a quick and dirty build, and I'm gonna fix up another one or two projects just to sell, and put the money into something I have more interest in.

14. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

This '62 Falcon has been taking up space in my shop for years. I got the body work 85% done, then I mentally hit a wall. It ran great when I drove it in the shop, and put it up on jack stands. I gave it to my Daughter for her 16th birthday so I wouldn't be able to sell it. It's on the calendar, and will hopefully get some attention this winter.

[​IMG]

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

It's kind of funny you mention this, I just had this conversation with a old friend this morning,... We both have several projects,... But got to talking about the old days, when we were having the time of our lives with the Hot Rods.
    After thinking about it we determined, back when we had one driver while working on one project in the garage was the best of times. Once again, this fits in perfectly with the old thread I started a while back called "The Paralysis of Analysis" .

As it stands,.. I have a two cars on my hit list (ones that I would love to acquire),... and a number of cars that need new owners.

(There are usually anywhere from 9 to 12 cars in the barn, not counting whats at the shop & home)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  16. cederholm

cederholm

I spent a few years restoring/modifying an off topic MG. Completely lost interest when I got my 53 and stashed it at a relative's place up in RI. Now I'm starting to miss it.

So that's my plan. Never sell anything, just hide it from myself until I'm ready to play. I think my 5 year old invented this though as he's always finding lost toys that he now can't live without.

~ Carl

17. Hey I'll trade you one of mine for yours. :D

If it makes you feel any better I have one in the driveway that has needed wired since about 2 years ago, I always had an excuse not to wire it and finally convinced myself to wire it in Sept. It wasn't that big a deal and its not like something that I haven't done countless times in the last 40 years. Bit for some reason I was sure it was gong to be rough. DOH.

Hey I know this is off topic for this thread but that truck has a weird bed on it, what's the story on that?

18. BISHOP

BISHOP

Interesting roof and bed. You need to finish that.

19. Brahm

Brahm

ya that is happening ot me w/my truck it's why I got it in the classified bin. If I buy something, and have the money i need to work on it but don't spend it and let it sit... It's time to go. I give it a year max. Problem with me is I keep coming across stuff I think is cool, but there is really only 2 cars I really want to work on in the end. One I've had since I was 16 the other is a 5 window coupe. I need to hold to my guns and not buy anything except exactly what I want next time around. No more trucks, no more sedans, no more random muscle cars... (5$ bucks I go back on my word and end up with a shoebox or something ha.)

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

I know exactly how you feel I recently sold a Dodge Truck project to focus on my Studebaker. The money will help and having the truck gone will help me stay focused. I kinda hated to see it go but it had to be done.

21. Too often life just gets in the way, i.e... money, health, home repairs and so on. And then there is the newness factor. You get so excited when you first get it then the warm and fuzzy feeling wears off. :D

Mostly its the money part!!!:p

22. You have to be careful when thinking you lost interest in a project. I had a 32 coupe for about 15 years when I had it apart again and it was just sitting in my garage in pieces for about a year or so. I THOUGHT I lost interest in it and sold it.Regretted it ever since and would love to have it back but no longer can afford the price increase they have attained. I sold off a few projects lately that I knew that I would never get to but they sat around long enough for me to realize I truly lost interest in them. So, make sure it is idle for a long enough time that you really have lost the interest in it. They are getting too hard to find and too expensive to try to replace it later on.

23. I'm too greedy to lose interest in a project (I refuse to take the hit, that occurs when selling an unfinished project). Time isn't a huge concern, I'm not in a race with myself to finish..just that I will finish it.

24. i dont find that i lost interest in any. its that i have to much interest. im building this willys and i love this truck...but sometimes i think it would be cool to build a shoebox. or a T, or A, then the list continues. not enough time and money. it makes me sad. then as it was said. insurance, taxes, gas, oil, maintnence. sometimes in my mind i justify getting all of them by opening up a museum. of course they all run and drive and i take them in and out as my heart desieres. only time will tell what happens.

25. BigBlockItch57

BigBlockItch57

My 1966 Ford Thunderbird....my baby....i have fun fun fun and my daddy took my tbird away....5 years later its parked on a trailer with the engine pulled and rot that needs to be fixed.....i can work on it but it has became a big project that needs more time spent on than what i have....one day my sweet bird will be complete!!!

26. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I can relate, but it also has to do some with space(atleast covered) and getting help on them. I've got about 30 cars right now, but only some were bought with plans to keep. I've changed up on stuff I want to keep and get, so it's also a matter of selling some and getting others. It doesn't help that I like all sorts of makes, models, and years too.

27. Hell, maybe you're right. That's always been the reason I've kept all the shit I've got. Spent more than it's worth, or got it for free. Either way, it would always cost more to sell it than to just keep it. You may be right my friend.

28. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I haven't lost interest, just don't have the time! I used to come home from work, straight out to the garage, in for dinner, then out again till 10 - 11 o'clock! Just doesn't happen anymore, lucky to get 3 or 4 hours all week! I've still got my first car, plus 4 others, still not driven it, still in pieces scattered around various places. I've thought about selling cars on several times, did sell one once, regretted it ever since as the price of them went up so much i'll probably never afford another one. Keep em all I say!

29. 60 ford

60 ford

Twenty five years years ago I lived to work on old cars, I always had a couple that were completed for my wife and I to drive while building us something different. Built them, drove them, sold them, repeat. It was my live. When our older son was 10 I started him go-kart racing, that turned into dirt stockcars then UMP Modified, while his little brother followed 4 years behind him. My shop was turned into a Body Shop to make money for them. They are now grown and take care of their racing theirself, I am totally burned out on racing even tho we were very successfully so I stepped aside.
    Two years I was dying to build a car for me and my wife to enjoy again, I bought a 60 ranchero followed by 2 62 falcons. I'd always wanted to do a falcon gasser so I jumped right into it. Two years later I hardly work on it, when I do work on it a little I feel like I enjoy it, I'm happy with what I've got done, but it's hard to make myself go to the shop to work on it.
    Thought about selling them but don't know, a lot of money invested into it. And if I sell it I'm 99% sure I'd just start another.

30. Brog

Brog

What kinda car is that car on the left? I really like it.

Money is the main issue for me. I've been having a hard time with my f100, but everytime I go back to the garage and see it again after a few days I fall in love all over again, then back to being frustrated haha.