Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstered dash "windows"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hartman601, Jun 6, 2011.

1. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

Searched around this morning but no luck. I think I have seen a picture around of a dash that was upholstered in pleats. They cut rounded rectangles out to make little windows from the gauges to the passenger side. Behind those little "windows" was painted dash, pearloid, or turned aluminum I think.

I'm probably not doing a good job of explaining this. I attached a sketch if that can help any. No making fun of my artistic ability. And another dash that is sort of what I'm talking about.

Truck is coming along, hope to make it to Salina and Louisville. Going to be close.

Attached Files:

2. BLAKE

BLAKE

The pleats you see on the Texas Playboy's dash (pic) is just a reflection of the seat pleats... I'm pretty sure the dash is just shiny black paint.

3. ERNST

ERNST

4. jerseymike

jerseymike

sorry i can't help you but you really need to submit that sketch to the friday art show:D

5. My wife does this sort of thing on door panels, headliners, etc., but the fabric is usually pulled over a hole in the metal backing plate and glued. To do a window right on the face of the dash would be really tough because there's no good way to hide the edge of the material.

6. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Not unless the gauge face hid the raw edge of the upholstery.

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^ or piping around the hole? it would look awesome no doubt.

8. I don't think that's what the OP was asking about. His drawing shows a window down to the painted dash surface.

9. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

I give art lessons if anyone is interested :)

10. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

I ended up doing a bit of a hybrid take on this upholstered idea (and a recent shot of some upcoming pictures)

Attached Files:

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Is is aluminum sprayed with candy? Please tell looks great!

12. hartman601

hartman601
    from Tulsa, OK

drum wrap, idea came from another hamber. We were gonna do a turned aluminum with candy over but this was way easier and cheaper.

I also found some other similar materials in other finishes. Some guys are starting to use the similar stuff in woodgrain to do dashes. Woodgrain isn't my style but to each his own.

13. That drum wrap idea is neat! Way to go.

14. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Clear 20gauge plastic sewn in where you want the windows and top stitched around? I'm a little unsure of what you mean really