Register now to get rid of these ads!

What does 4 bolt mean?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Nov 17, 2011.

1. t-rod

t-rod

[
    Okay, since the original poster had his question answered I came back to edit this post because I have my own dumbass question for the Ford guys. What the hell is an FE motor exactly?[/QUOTE]

FE is the atomic symbol for iron, and these engines have ALOT of that in them!

2. 117harv

117harv

Here is a great signature if there ever was one...lol

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you're not just being a wiseass, I'll tell you.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Unfortunately its a difference in people that isn't complimentary. Some people have class, some don't.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

FE is the atomic symbol for iron, and these engines have ALOT of that in them![/QUOTE]

I've been told by a couple guys who build them that it stands for "fuckin' expensive".

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

2 bolt or 4 bolt, the difference is common sense. Time for this thread to die.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I've been told by a couple guys who build them that it stands for "fuckin' expensive".[/QUOTE]

I heard it stood for
    Fuel
    Eaters

8. Ford-Edsel and 2 bolt/ 4 bolt has a totaly different meaning with that engine. :rolleyes:

9. Four boats is a convoy,ya frickin moolie!!!!! Fagetaboutit!!!!!

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Hey wait a minute , I got a dumb question . Why is there a FORD in my shop ?
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

11. Awww...if you've been here long enough, you come to expect it. He got the real info along with the hazing...

12. I've been told by a couple guys who build them that it stands for "fuckin' expensive".[/QUOTE]

FE...as in the price you pay for not wanting a Chevy?

13. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

It's what we're here for...Brother.

14. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

thanks,i was wondering what FE meant.i dinna wanna look like a dumass...
    i have no idea how long ago i learned what a 4 bolt main was,i do know it was before the internet.now if i want to know something,i go on the inner-net and ask.
    i have never degreed a cam,and when i need to know how i will use the search button.there has probably been many questions like this asked over the years,hats off to those of you with the patience to answer them.

15. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XPssR9vC7Mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

Ford - Edsel

17. 32ratsass

32ratsass

It must be a terrible burden, knowing "all things automotive", to the point of chastizing a person that that dares ask a question that the more knowledgable already know. The answer to the 4 bolt question was well answered, in the midst of a lot of bull shit, that was totally undeserved, and does nothing but act as a deterent to asking questions to further your knowledge base, and to atleast attempt to get up to the knowledge level some seem to have been born with.

18. SWANKEY1

SWANKEY1
    from Venice ca

Too many fucking ego's

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You read this thread and it leaves you with the impression that all four bolt blocks are SBC. But noo0. Leave us not forget there are other worthy motors out there.

20. swimeasy

swimeasy

^^^^X2^^^^ We have all ask all sorts of things to learn or teach-CHILL:)

21. Yeah, but the sbc is the only one that matters. :rolleyes:

22. Clik

Clik

And look at all the good info/opinions a rookie question generated. Splayed bolts, web thickness variations, etc.

Keep the "dumb" questions coming.

23. tinmann

tinmann

.......... and might I add, 4 bolt main SBC are certainly NOT hard to find if one is searching. They made a bazillion Chevy/GMC trucks up to the early 90's with 'em. Seek and ye shall find. I usually have 8 to 10 on hand.

24. Never2low

Never2low

Wikipedia puts the overall production at "over 90,000,000":eek: as they are still being produced in Mexico, by a GM subsidiary, for replacment and aftermarket applications.

25. Some of you guys need to lighten up.
    OP has been here for 6 years and never thought to ask this before?? :eek:

26. Deuces

Deuces

My o/t car engine has 6 bolt mains... And it's a Ford! :D

27. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Damn DEUCES, what the hell , you get down there & count em ? You'll be catching sheeeeeet for this one .
    B.B.

28. I've been here for a while,If I were a fng I'd probably never ask another question here.But I learned a long time ago that the HAMB has an over abundance of smartasses.
    Yes I could have googled it but why should I have to Google a motor question when I am here and start wondering about something that can be answered by the many hundreds of mechanics here?
    To all of the smartasses...

Attached Files:

29. sololobo

sololobo

We take a lot for granted that everyone knows what we percieve as basic info. Some very nice response to this valid question and sad some want to kick the dudes ass for asking. Folks could learn a lot of stuff from the big Google info world and save some thrashing over a basic request. Lets remember to love our brothers and sisteres and not be quick to come down on them. Just my humble opinion. ~sololobo~

30. No Time

No Time
    from Oregon

Reading this thread sure makes a new guy want to step right up and ask a question.

I've always thought it was better to risk looking stupid and ask a question, than to not ask a question and risk being stupid.

Knowledgeable people share their knowledge with those that will ask, the less knowledgeable will always try to hide their lack by deflecting your question back to you with answers like "look it up", "search", and of course "you should know that".:rolleyes:

I need more coffee...