Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rookie mistakes: 53 Plymouth wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Screamin J Pito, Dec 2, 2010.

1. 73RR

73RR

If you want to keep it all Mopar then consider one of the Dakota 5-speed trans. AX5 is a light duty trans but adequate for a flathead, the AX15 is bigger/stouter (suitable for v-8), there are others going back into the 80's. If you want to keep the stock bellhousing (with the rear mounts) then look for a trans with the same (or longer) input shaft length.
    And yes, you would have some other issues to contend with. You would need new rear axle although in the scheme of things the axle is the easy part.

2. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Yeah I've considered going with a different trans and rear end but think I'm going to keep it simple and keep my eyes out for a stock overdrive trans.

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck with the build, Pito. Cool car. Us slow weekend hackers tend to find each other. Some of us are slower than others ;). We ain't going nowhere, so what the hell. Who cares if it takes several years?

4. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Made it to the shop tonight and finally hooked the gas up to the ol mig! Works pretty damn good! Also got some front floor pans on order today. Should see em Monday! Then I'll really (hopefully) get some update pics! After driving 15 hours in a day for the Grand Nationals (amazing) and the Sacramento Autorama I've got some some great ideas! Such as the bottom lenses from a 56 Olds flipped upside down. Think they'll fit perfect! Now just to find the funds to actually buy some (if I can find em).I've also decided it's going to be a couple different shades of green and white. Similar to the 58 impala on the R&C cover a couple months back. [​IMG]

5. Ricky B

Ricky B

Good luck on finding the parts. I like what you are thinking so far, cool wagon. :cool:

Aloha, Ric

6. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Thanks man! I've got plenty of time till I'm going to need em so, I got that goin for me. Which is nice.

7. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Got my floor pans today! No pics yet as I they're still in my trunk but I think I'll try to roll some deeper beads in em. I'm off to Austin tomorrow (today) for some bday vaca time so next week I'll get on em! Might just weld em as they are. Update pics are comin soon!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ from the shop or a bar.

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Rookie mistakes: 53 Plymouth wagon build: thinking a 53 Plymouth would ever qualify as a traditional hotrod

9. retromotors

retromotors

Maybe you oughta try and get out of Tex-ass more often.
    Might help your shitty attitude.
    Or .... maybe not.

10. Good luck...I love those 53 and 54 plymouth wagons...I had a sweet one that was about 70 percent done (see pix in my photo albums) and when we decided to relocate to the east coast I had to let a few projects go...I really wish I would have held onto that wagon.
    Can't wait to see what you do with yours.

11. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

If you're serious about the Olds lights, ask for a '58 Olds light, not a '56.... They WAY different! (the pic you showed was a 1958)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  12. Well put.

13. Very cool ride, you could call it a MOMAD ;) { MO-par/noMAD = MOMAD }

14. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

I don't believe I ever called what I'm building a hotrod...but thanks for settin me straight.

15. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Hey, good call! Thanks for pointing that out! Not sure why I thought they were 56.

16. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

So after many, many months full of bs I'm back at it. Started pulling the rear hatch and tailgate apart. The screws don't want to come apart though so I've got em soaking in some PBlaster. While I wait I started taking the doors off. The checks are a pain and I think I'm gonna cut em off. Put something else in. Cables or something. Well see. I'll tell you this though, it's DAMN good to get back into the garage!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ from the shop or a bar.

17. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

Not to be RUDE but,:D:D:D

[​IMG]

18. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Ha! I know but none of the pictures I can post would be any different than the last ones! Unless....you wanted to see some empty screw holes....

19. jeffh547

jeffh547
    from Florida

20. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

After using the PB, put a screwdriver shank in the screw and rap it a couple a times with a light hammer. This helps the stinky shit penetrate and loosens the rust. Good luck. Great car.

21. 73RR

73RR

try one of these...

[​IMG]

22. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've let em soak since last weekend and hopefully they're ready to come out. After I finish taking the rear apart all I have left to do is the floors before I pull the body off the frame to get blasted. I got some floor pans online but I'm not impressed with the beads in them. I'm gonna break out the HF bead roller, beef if up a bit and see if I can't roll em out a bit deeper for the added support. As soon as I can get to a metal supply shop that is!