Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Pomona remember this gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gup, Dec 16, 2008.

1. 5w32

5w32

steve (5w32) left , royce(chief) center , larry(road agent) right

Attached Files:

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

Hey Steve - I was very lucky to have shot a bunch of awesome cars at CHRR - all owned by really nice people. But the story of Chief and the Road Agents made this a personal favorite. Plus there's our '41 Stude connection, too. You were great to work with and hanging with Evan gave me new hope for rodding's future. This was special. I'm very honored and humbled to be involved with this deal...
    Scotty

PS: Five minutes into the next photoshoot after yours, we were kicked off the track. We were lucky to get your shoot done! Guess it was meant to be.

3. 5w32

5w32

i think Evan got a real kick from the event and had a great time taking photos with you out on the track, what a great experience. keep pushing Jamie to get the super stude done!

4. 5w32

5w32

i still have a few shirts and hats available , pm for you size.

$18.00 for shirts
    $16.00 for hats

Attached Files:

5. dogbreath

dogbreath

Steve,where do we send $ for shirt @ hat?

6. 5w32

5w32

send me a private message and let me know your size

7. Wesley

Wesley

oops

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. rhandyman

rhandyman
    from upland ca

hi its buldog ! that picture of roice siting the drivers seat choked me up ! thanks to all the people that made that possible .he is a great guy and big mentor of mine .
    ps was that larry bergy ? Dave bolduc

9. 5w32

5w32

yes, that's Larry Berge on the right. Royce was very happy to sit it the car and rev the big stove with open headers.

10. 5w32

5w32

see speedhunters.com for lots of great coverage at the CHRR

11. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Awesome thread !!! Once I started reading I couldn't stop till the end :cool:

12. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

My name is Chuck Lipka.....the blue Willys with the Olds power from the Reunion is mine....2nd one I've done with Olds power. I'm also the coordinator for the Geezer Gassers.

I saw the car parked and never really had time to stop for a long look...too busy "coordinating and administrating." I now regret my short stops, and had I known it was Olds powered, I'd have made time for a long look.

Congrats on your long, but successful journey with your Studey.....she looks GREAT. And kudos and hats off for the contacts you made, the memories you brought back, and the new ones you have created. That makes it all the better. I'm sure you have added a lot of years of life to a lot of old time racers.

13. 5w32

5w32

hey Chuck ...i was so busy as well, i stopped by to talk to you a few times but nobody was around , to bad we didn't hook up,i even took a few photos of the stude in front of your pit area just before loading it for the long trip home. we will have to get together in the future.
    the trip to the CHRR was the best time i have had yet in my 58 years, bar none!

oldsmobile power rules!!

Attached Files:

14. 64Rocket

64Rocket

This has been a great thread. I'm sorry I did not find this thread sooner.
    5w32 I sure would like to talk to you about the Olds engine. PM me if you would
    Gene

Attached Files:

15. VegasSteve

VegasSteve
    from Nevada

I am a class of '75 Garey H.S. Alumni - that is the Road Agents Car Club '40 Stude Gasser... Built in the early 70's by Royce Hunt's auto shop class students and raced in a NHRA class. The car had been moth balled by the time we graduated... Though we were able to get our pictures taken with the car for the yearbook, as we tried to keep the Road Agents Car Club active. I have that yearbook... And a RACC business card... It was a very nice car.... We also had a front-engined "Econorail" dragster!

16. 5w32

5w32

VegasSteve......is this the yearbook photo? can you post a photo or scan of the business card? another road agent told me that they used the business card to get discounts and free race parts from speed shops and suppliers. do you have any old photos of the car or auto shop. i will Pm you with my phone #

Attached Files:

17. 5w32

5w32

well, thanks to my good buddies Dan and Doug , here is a photo they found in the March 9 1973 National dragster magazine.this photo was taken at the 1973 Pomona Winternationals and the car has the blue paint scheme. wow what a find!

Attached Files:

18. 5w32

5w32

the chief tells me the honda was his bike as well as the green econoline van and tandem axle trailer

19. 5w32

5w32

there is going to be a Straight Axle Shootout at the Langley Loafers oldtime drags in Ashcroft, BC this june 8 ,9 ,10 ,2012. GBF will be there for the action!

http://langleyloafers.com/ashcroft.htm

20. 5w32

5w32

finally... found original Hays ignition decals that were on the hood , still looking for the large carter competition carbs decals on the side of the hood...also still looking for the Lions Drag Scoop magazine with 2 photos of the car on page 35( we don't know what issue unfortunately)

Attached Files:

21. Muttley

Muttley

Be careful if you try to use those, the peel & sticks usually dont work after a few years. You might be better off having them reproduced. Just one more advantage to using water-slide decals, unfortunately I've never seen a water-slide version of that sticker.

22. chief-imagineer

chief-imagineer

Muttley has a very valid point re; older peel and sticks. Getting them reproduced is the best idea for longevity.

However, I was shown a "trick" for installing all peel and sticks by the really old timer (Frank Phelps) who did all the lettering and gold leaf on GBF. Mix 2 or 3 drops of liquid dish washing detergent with a couple ounces of water. After peeling the back off the sticker, dip your finger in the water and lightly cover the back of the sticker. Place it on the window or body, slide it to the exact position you want, then squeegee the the water/detergent mixture (along with any air bubbles) out the sides and top/bottom (just like the water slip off type of decals). If done correctly, you cannot remove the sticker without a razor blade. I have used this technique with stickers so old that the vinyl and backing have shrunk at different rates, making one side extend past the opposite side.

When do we get to have some fun again? You planning to hit the Winternationals this year?

23. 5w32

5w32

we use the same application procedure ,it also lets you move the decal before its set.

unfortunately the economic times are taking the fun out of life right now, i wish we were coming to the winternationals again this year, we had such a great time last year . are you going to the GNRS? if not..you should be!

there is so much to do in Calif. and its so far away!

24. chief-imagineer

chief-imagineer

Have a former teaching colleague whose ancient salt flats open wheeled roadster was on display at the last GNRS. It is in just about the same shape as GBF is right now. It drew quite a crowd of old timers.

After thought: GBF was lit by a Hayes Stinger, not Magna Pulse (just in case I forgot to mention that earlier in one of our many data sharing discussions).

25. 5w32

5w32

here is the new old stock hays stinger conversion that i bought for it , i think this is the same as you used originally.

Attached Files:

26. 5w32

5w32

to quote the chief "Probably the only difference between the Stinger ignition you will be running, and ours, is the fact that ours also came with a new aluminum distributor housing complete with a Hayes Stinger logo, red distributor cap with a Hayes logo, and a red HP coil with a Hayes logo".
    --does anyone have these parts they could sell to make the car more correct?

27. 5w32

5w32

i found one carter competition carb decal for the hood side, still looking for one more, anyone have one?

28. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Man you never give up on a restoration do you!! Wish I could help you out. You have done an incredible job on this old racer. I think perhaps more importantly is all the contacts and memories this thread has uncovered. Well done.

29. 5w32

5w32

finally found the correct american racing torque thrust for the rear, thanks to Jim at Panther Precision Machine for restoring them and getting them mounted for racing.

Attached Files:

30. 5w32

5w32

here is the door lettering enhanced to be a bit more legible

Attached Files: